Extended Era revived - version 36

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Noyga
Inactive Developer

Extended Era revived - version 36

Post by Noyga »

Welll i made my own era and never released it.
It looked like a superset of of the Default Era and since i hadn't much inspiration i called it 'Extended Era'.
If feature all the factions of the default era, except the Dwarves and the Outlaws are spliutted in two faction, plus a few additional factions and a few additional unit.
Lately i started to make a few other changes.

Now, to have something different it is an era where you can recruit lvl 0/1 units (like default), but with level 2/3 leaders (like Age of Heroes).
Here is the list of the factions :
- Aragwaithi
- Drakes
- Dwarves
- Elves
- Loyalists
- Northerners
- Outlaws
- Sidhes
- Undead
I used to have the Dark elves, they may come back in the era.
I will probably add the Chaos faction if i can grab it somewhere.

Here is the modifications i made :
* Aragwaithi :
I made no changes, i just use the units from the Imperial Era. I might add a swimer or a flying unit (i think the gryphon rider)
* Drakes :
I just added the Drake Armaggeddon as an avancement from the Inferno drake
* Dwarves :
I use the 4 dwarven lines from the Knalgan faction
I picked a few well know units :
- i added the Runesmith -> Arcanister branch to the fighter.
Since the Arcanister is very powerful i decided he would be level 4
- I added the Runner -> Axemaster Branch
I made a few other units :
- A Flametrower as an alternative advancement to the Thunderguard (btw i have no graphics, i currently juste use the thunderguard sprites). I don't intend to add a level 3 of this unit
- A Lvl 1 -> 2 flying machine line : they don't have any melee attack and have blade and fire weaknesses
- A lvl 1 -> 3 wagon line (sprites from Neorice) : they have a mounted-like movetype with impact charge with only one strike and have an impact weakness
* Elves :
- I added the Wose Shaman from Delfador's memoir as an alternative to the Elder Wose
- They can recruit all the mermens
* Loyalists :
- They don't have any mermen, but the Gryphon rider instead. I might change this int the future.
* Northerners :
- They can recruit Orcish Shamans
* Outlaws :
- I use the Whole L3 Outlaws pack, plus the Raider from Ranger M
- I might add them a swimmer or a flier, i think a pirat/buccaneer line i'm going to make.
* Sidhes :
- I use the Sides from the 1.0 Wild Elves era. They will probably don't change much
* Undead :
- The Skeleton can advance to the Chocobone
- The Lich can Advance to the Ancient Lich. I might use a less powerful version of the Ancient Lich in the future

This might be on the campaign server in the near future (perhaps with the Dark elves).
Don't expect everithing balanced since i haven't tried to balance everything yet.
Last edited by Noyga on March 1st, 2008, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Well i wanted to test it so i've put a v0.0.0 on the campaign server.
All factions except the dwarves (which with those new units might be very paticular) are very similar to other eras.
I need to fix the shadows of my new Dwarven units lines, fix the stats (IMHO the flyer is a bit underpowered) and probably better names.

For those who wants the stats of my new Dwarven units :
-Dwarvish Flamethower: Level 2 Alternative advancement from the Thunderer
Graphics: none, currently uses the sprites of the Thunderguard
Stats: Same as Thunderguard, except a 6-6 ranged fire attack instead of the Thunderstick

-Dwarven Flyer: Level 1 Flyer
Graphics: 1 base image based on the level 2 flyer, probably from Neoriceisgood
Stats: Level 1 unit
HP: 25
Movement: 7 (fly)
Cost : 18
XP : 35
Resistances: wose-like : -20% blade +20% pierce +0% impact -40% fire +0% cold +20% holy
Weapons : Crossbow : 6-2 ranged pierce

-Dwarven Flycopter: Level 2 Flyer
Graphics: 1 base image, probably from Neoriceisgood
Stats: Level 2 unit
HP: 45
Movement: 8 (fly)
Cost : 27
XP : 45 (AMLA)
Resistances: wose-like : -20% blade +20% pierce +0% impact -40% fire +0% cold +20% holy
Weapons : Crossbow : 9-3 ranged pierce

-Dwarven Scout Wagon: Level 1 Wagon
Graphics: 1 base image, from Neoriceisgood
Stats: Level 1 unit
HP: 20
Movement: 8 (mounted)
Cost : 17
XP : 40
Resistances: +0% blade +20% pierce -20% impact +0% fire +0% cold +20% holy
Weapons : slam : 14-1 melee imapct (charge)

-Dwarven Wagon: Level 2 Wagon
Stats: Level 2 unit
HP: 35
Movement: 9 (mounted)
Cost : 27
XP : 60
Weapons : slam : 20-1 melee imapct (charge)

-Dwarven Great Wagon: Level 3 Wagon
Stats: Level 3 unit
HP: 50
Movement: 10 (mounted)
Cost : 37
XP : 100 (AMLA)
Weapons : slam : 26-1 melee imapct (charge)
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Damn, I can't believe that I forgot about this, the first era with seperate dwarves and outlaws, yay!

I like the new dwarvern units, and they look like they can take the rolls of most of the removed units although I haven't had a chance to check yet, I hope that the default era ends up like this.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Actually it is the second era where i do seperate the Dwarves from the outlaws, the Peasant Era had this too.
Btw the Peasant Era is particular, had not additional units and s not really suited for normal gameplay.
scott

Post by scott »

Ranger M wrote:Damn, I can't believe that I forgot about this, the first era with seperate dwarves and outlaws, yay!

I like the new dwarvern units, and they look like they can take the rolls of most of the removed units although I haven't had a chance to check yet, I hope that the default era ends up like this.
Are you guys nuts? Demo MP Era, aka Enhanced Default, was the first to separate dwarves and outlaws. The only problem is that it tends to leak units all over your multiplayer.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Actually, I would suspect that Classic was the first to split them up... :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

scott wrote:[...]
Demo MP Era, aka Enhanced Default, was the first to separate dwarves and outlaws. The only problem is that it tends to leak units all over your multiplayer.
I avoided this problem by duplicating every outlaw unit (except the thieves). :)
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Noyga wrote:
scott wrote:[...]
Demo MP Era, aka Enhanced Default, was the first to separate dwarves and outlaws. The only problem is that it tends to leak units all over your multiplayer.
I avoided this problem by duplicating every outlaw unit (except the thieves). :)
yeah, that's what I did in IoA, much simpler than any other solution (apart from having them added to the mainline)

and yes enhanced default did, but they didn't advance to the level three outlaws in my version, so they were pretty much the weakest side :(
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

I updated the shadows under the units and changed the projectiles of the flyer to bombs as their image suggest (impact damages, thanks Soliton for the idea)

Any idea for the names of these new dwarven units ?
Wagon Line : they have a 1 strike impact charge melee attack
Level 1 : (currently "Scout Wagon") Image
Level 2 : (currently "Wagon") Image
Level 3 : (currently "Great Wagon") Image

Flying machine line : they throw bombs (impact damages)
Level 1 : (currently "Flyer") Image
Level 2 : (currently "Flycopter") Image

Btw i just figured there was also bombs on the wagon sprite, perhaps i shall give thems bombs too ? Or delete the bombs from the sprites
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Noyga wrote: - A Flametrower as an alternative advancement to the Thunderguard (btw i have no graphics, i currently juste use the thunderguard sprites). I don't intend to add a level 3 of this unit .
Yay! A unit named after me! :lol:

I had actually been working on this idea of a thunderguard alternate for some time, although I had called it "Dwarvish Engineer" and it advanced to "Dwarvish Mastermind". It had a (weaker) thunderstick and in addition a small fire attack. The L3 Mastermind shot missles/threw grenades and had a weaker but faster thunderstick(like 22/2). You can use those ideas, or not. I think I have art for them somewhere...
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Well i just added the Chaos faction with the files provided by Alks, and converted them to 1.1.X syntax.
I haven't really playtested those btw.
It is v0.1 on the 1.1.1 campaign server.

There is now a lot of factions in my era, maybe i should remove some (i'm thinking about the Loyalists).
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

For the level 2 flying machine, how about Gyrocopter
Alks

Post by Alks »

Noyga wrote: Any idea for the names of these new dwarven units ?
Wagon Line : they have a 1 strike impact charge melee attack
Level 1 : (currently "Scout Wagon") Image
Level 2 : (currently "Wagon") Image
Level 3 : (currently "Great Wagon") Image

Flying machine line : they throw bombs (impact damages)
Level 1 : (currently "Flyer") Image
Level 2 : (currently "Flycopter") Image
Why not:
Armored Wagon - Thunderwheel - Doomwheel
Gyrocopter - Steamcopter

I thought about using these images, when I was constructing Mercenary Dwarves out of Neo and Wayfarer graphics leftovers.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

Gyrocopter - Steamcopter
Ahh, better yet. I originally wanted Gyrocopter to be L1 anyways, but I couldn't think of a good name for L2.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Alks wrote:Why not:
Armored Wagon - Thunderwheel - Doomwheel
I had changed the names in v0.1 to :
Scout Wagon - Assault Wagon - War Wagon

Well the lvl 1 don't seem very Armored to me, so i think it is inaccurate.
For the other names i like the *wheel idea.

What about :
Steamweel - Thunderwheel - Dragonwheel ?
Alks wrote:Gyrocopter - Steamcopter
I had changed the names in v0.1 to :
Helicopter - Flycopter

Btw i find your names very good so i'll use them in the next version.

Other than that i played a bit with the Chaos faction yesterday, here is my first impressions :
- Globally i hadn't the feeling that this faction is unblanaced
- The lesser Mutation seems overpowered : it has high HP, regeneration, poison and high damages
- My Houds did die very easily since it's a berserker with low HP. However i noticed afterwards it can have high defenses on some terrains, so it might be very strong if used wisely
- The level 1 warrior seemed to be weak
- I really liked the daemon ranged firststrike :D
- A noticed a possible RIPLIB problem in the headhunter advancement : the ranged damage type changes from impact to blade. I see two ways to fix this : either simply removing its ranged attack or changing it to a throwing axe or throwing knife (blade damage like the upper levels)
- I noticed that the level 3 and the level 4 warrior have exactly the same damages
- Some inconsistent names ("Chaos Lesser Mutation" -> "Greater Mutation"), and capitals in some attack names : i fixed this
- Some missile frames aren't nice ... I will try to fix them.
- Some resistances seem inaccurate : the mutations resists to Holy ... I'd rather see them holy-vulnerable. Maybe we should make some custom races/movetype for a few units ?