Extra drakes

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MadMax

Extra drakes

Post by MadMax »

Neoriceisgood wrote:Okay I was bored so I revised some old drake designs I had lying around; and added 2 or so new ones to the unused bunch;
And my thread appears to be dying; so I will use these graphics to arouse more commotion! wooh!
How likely are these drakes to go in? As for the two names that you are looking for, how about Butcher and Pyromancer? If the drakes have been rejected, do you still have the graphics?

(and yes, I know the original post is over 4 months old)

a picture of the unit tree is at http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 887#109887
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
toms

Post by toms »

I like the knight branch. It increases the value to level a glider up. :wink:
(and I like the graphics of it the best)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Lim-Dul

Post by Lim-Dul »

The graphics altogether look very well. I wonder why they got overlooked... Nobody cares about the poor drakes except for me. :-P
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
--
Project StD - Save the Drakes - we want more branches! =)
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

As being, IIRC, the newest official faction in Wesnoth, they should need IMHO more opinion (though this is just my humble opinion and that multiplayer devs might think they are good enough like they are now).

I like the images very much, BTW.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

I think it would be very nice to see these Drakes in game. They would be a nice addition IMHO. But that's not my call.
Lim-Dul

Post by Lim-Dul »

Well -the fact remains that Drakes have the fewest units in the game. So IF they were to have more units, then the corresponing images are at hand as you can see - it's just a matter of making up unit stats. =)
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
--
Project StD - Save the Drakes - we want more branches! =)
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Drake Butcher:
"When a Drake Fighter comes of the necessary age, he is given a choice of paths: he can take up the way of the sword, or he can take up the ways of the flames. The Butcher has chosen the latter, and has devoted himself to learning not only of his internal fires, but of the fire magic itself. These skills come together to create a weapon of awesome power: a sword that is perpetually aflame."

Drake Pyromancer:
"The Pyromancers are those who have taken drakish fire magic to a level far exceeding that of the Butcher. Their power is again manifest in their weapons; for they wield not swords of metal, but sabers of pure, incarnate fire."

Perhaps this could explain the presence of the Flaming Sword in HttT; it could have been left behind by an ancient drake.

Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

I really like these descriptions/names. Very good.

I love Pyromancer!!!! That is my new favorite word.

IMO, you may want to add more to the Pyromancer's description. Maybe its just me, though...
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Drake Pyromancer:
"The Pyromancers are those who have taken drakish fire magic to a level far exceeding that of the Butcher. Their power is again manifest in their weapons; for they wield not swords of metal, but sabers of pure, incarnate fire. However, this power comes at a price. Their workings with fire have left their entire bodies permanently charred and toughened, although the protection conferred by this possibly makes this price one borne more by their enemies than by themselves."

Drake Knight:
"Of all of the vast flocks of Gliders, many are bound to stand out. While the swift form the legions of the Sky Drakes, the strong become Knights. Powerful avatars of the air, they are known for swiftly striking down enemies with strong blows from their bucklers, which are used for both attack and defense."

Regal Drake:
"The position of the Drake Knight carries a special significance for drakes, because their methods of aerial combat embody both flight and strength. Those select few of the Knights who atttract the attention of one of the great drake leaders join the bands of the Regal Drakes, who are masters of the strength and grace that is the hallmark of their discipline. Because of their status, they are able to abandon their buckler in favor of a heavy mace and plates of armor."

The Drake Knight would be a fast unit with an average attack, but not as fast as the Sky Drake. The Regal Drake would progress these stats.

My conception of the Glider->Knight->Regal line is that Regal Drakes are the drakes' form of special forces, and the Knight is a lesser unit. This fits with the hit-and-run nature of these drakes, and the fact that they are best at picking off wounded units. They would not be very effective on their own, because they would lack a ranged attack.

romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Are you going to give them skirmisher then? It would often be difficult to employ effective hit and run tactics without it.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

Much better. I definatly like the addition about the Pyromancer's body.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Neoriceisgood has already done everything necessary for the Armageddon Drake, although the stats may need balancing, and the .cfg needs updating for 1.11. It can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 297#103297 .

Also, shouldn't this be in a different forum?

JW

Post by JW »

I'm always in favor of adding more Neoart to the game.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Lim-Dul wrote:Well -the fact remains that Drakes have the fewest units in the game. So IF they were to have more units, then the corresponing images are at hand as you can see - it's just a matter of making up unit stats. =)
Uh... where'd you get this idea? Are you talking about the faction, or the race?

If the faction - then yes, the faction has the fewest level 1 units. But how will adding more branches to the existing units "fix" that?

If you're talking about the race, well, the drakes actually have more than the dwarves.

I don't think you can argue for these going in on a basis of the drakes having a lack of units.

Of course, that doesn't mean they're a bad idea. Personally, I think the branch to the Fighter should go in, while that to the Glider shouldn't. Having 3/4 of the drake units branch isn't half bad.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Of course, that doesn't mean they're a bad idea. Personally, I think the branch to the Fighter should go in, while that to the Glider shouldn't. Having 3/4 of the drake units branch isn't half bad.

Personally I think people would perhaps find recruiting gliders less insane if they can actually level into a combat-based unit aswell.

And the dwarven race being so small is just weird, they've had like, most good unit proposals of all races.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag