Merman vs Naga cold resistance and UD

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Merman vs Naga cold resistance and UD

Post by Becephalus »

From a balancing perspective is there any particular reason merman have a 20% cold resist and naga a -20% cold resist when I think most people would agree (although I could be wrong) that loyalists/rebels already have better anti-UD options (particularly anti-ghost options), than northerners. Ghosts are really the only commonly encountered cold dmg unit for aquatic units.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Becephalus wrote:From a balancing perspective is there any particular reason merman have a 20% cold resist and naga a -20% cold resist
No.
Last edited by Soliton on January 25th, 2006, 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

No to what? :(
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I'm guessing the merman resistances were designed more with single player campaigns in mind (like in Isle of the Damned from HttT). But, I guess only one of the old-timers could answer this for sure.

I've already been petitioning for a fire weakness of mermen, but now it occurs to me that balance-wise it would be better for mermen to have cold weakness and nagas to have fire weakness.

As you pointed out, undead are the faction that gives northerners the most trouble, IMO.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

Soliton wrote: No.
If this is so should they perhaps be changed to 0, or even swapped outright?
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Becephalus wrote:
Soliton wrote: No.
If this is so should they perhaps be changed to 0, or even swapped outright?
Well, the current resistances make sense from a realism point of view as I understand it and so far I don't see a need to change them from a balancing perspective.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

Well I don't think it is necessary from a balancing point of view, but I think it would be nice as I could be wrong but I think either drakes or northerners have the hardest time against UD. This is just one more way in which the northerners have inferior options against UD (IMO).

And no I don't think I have played a northerner vs UD game recently so this isn't a reaction to a horror story, it is more a reaction to my domination of the seas in a 1v1v1 blitz over two northerners with a pair of ghosts (granted anecdotes are of extremely limited strength).
borisblue

Post by borisblue »

I think this is a good idea- I think gameplay is the most important consideration when it comes down to these things.
For realism's sake we could replace nagas with a less reptillian sea-unit- their unit tree is not too convoluted so it would not be too hard to replace the art

the sea-orc maybe? :P
JW

Post by JW »

I think the game wouldn't be hurt too much if the resistances went from 20% to 10% in the respective directions. Keeps realism while downplays gameplay changes.
Shadowdweller

Post by Shadowdweller »

For those of you who are unaware: At present nagas fight considerably better than mermen do while on land. As nagas advance, they achieve better and better defenses. By the time a naga reaches myrmidon status, they have 50% defense on grassland: Better than the vast majority of LAND units.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

At present nagas fight considerably better than mermen do while on land.
Unless I'm mistaken, both naga fighters and mermen fighters suck on grassland (30%).

And with the naga's lower HP, you'd be crazy to deploy it on grassland.

(if we were only talking about L2 and above, then you'd have a point, but the bulk of your army in multiplayer will be L1 recruits)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."