Need Help

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

because Creeping biggerism is bad. Consider the following height comparison plot. Note that the seargent, troll, and ogre have not had their graphics updated in probably over a year. You can see that the ogre and troll are much taller than the seargent. Compare with the new dark adept graphic. Suddenly, humans are as tall as ogres. My modification makes the werewolf be about the same height as the new human and old ogre, despite the fact that he is obviously not standing up perfectly straight and stretched out to his limit. Your original werewolf is gigantic, towering above practically every other unit except the yeti and the wose which it is the same height as. Unit graphics that fill the whole hex should be reserved for units that are truly enourmous. The (understandable) tendency of artists to make units bigger when they are upgrading the graphics because it is possible/easier to get in those fun little extra details means that what one was an impressively large unit (the ogre) is now fairly wimpy as things go. If the tendency continues, the only way to make really impressive unit graphics will be to either expand the hex size, bad for several reasons, or allow units to expand beyond the hex edges, bad for other reasons. Keeping units small and not filling the hex requires a great deal of self control on the artists part, but it is the only way to allow truly big units to still have an impressive size.

FCB!
Attachments
height-comparison.png
height-comparison.png (42.69 KiB) Viewed 18154 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

That was my point a year ago with the "reduce drake graphic sizes". What's your opinion on those? ;)

If you do a size comparison, the Burner is IIRC 55 pixels tall, while most humans are 40-45... that seems like a creeping biggerism problem to me. ;) Most of the drake graphics could be reduced by 5 pixels or so. Since I still occasionally confuse Burners for level 2 units (and when I don't, always have to consciously think - "OK, it's a burner. It's big, but it's not level 2, even though it looks it), this is a huge problem is my books. Not sure about other people, though.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

They could be reduced but they would loose a lot of the fine details if you shrunk them.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

The drakes are supposed to be big.

Why should they be made small?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Ankka wrote:The drakes are supposed to be big.

Big is fine, but they shouldn't be bigger than a troll or ogre. Which they were, last time I checked. (The troll and ogre graphics might have changed since then, though I doubt it; the drake's have not.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

turin wrote:
Ankka wrote:The drakes are supposed to be big.

Big is fine, but they shouldn't be bigger than a troll or ogre. Which they were, last time I checked. (The troll and ogre graphics might have changed since then, though I doubt it; the drake's have not.)

Well, I consider the drakes to be big. I don't consider them to be your D&D style human sized units, but rather being much closer to their dragon ancestors. Thus, I don't mind them being as big or even bigger than a troll or ogre. Still, that said, it wouldn't be so bad for the drakes to have a progression in size with level. Whereas for humans, you wouldn't expect a more experienced human to grow any, it would make sense for stranger creatures like drakes. In summary, I think it would be ok to shrink the level 0 drakes, but I think the higher level drakes are just fine as is.
toms

Post by toms »

Wich level 0 drakes do you want to shrink? This?
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Indeed, the drakes low DEF (even in caves, of all places) seems to support that they are far larger than human. The one person who could redo that faction's sprites is not interested in doing so, and I can't say I blame him... they were a lot of work and they look good: better than I could have done, certainly.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Leonhard wrote:you can find pixel editor at http://www.iconempire.com.
I could only find Pixel Editor 2.0 on that site, and it cost twenty bucks.
Leonhard
Art Contributor

Post by Leonhard »

Looks like I messed up a bit :D I wanted to give the adress of an english site, I should have checked it. In fact I downloaded it from a french site were you find a lot of free/sharewares, you can download it from :
http://www.clubic.com/telecharger-fiche ... ditor.html, clicking on "Télécharger" which means download. Normally this should work
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

It did. Thanks :)
Higher Game

Post by Higher Game »

I think most people envision trolls as being extremely tall, like 8+ feet, goblins 4 feet, and woses as tall as, well, trees. :lol: The art shouldn't be shrunk, and it shouldn't be attempted to be drawn to scale. That's what imagination is for. What IS important is good details, which is what is good about the new dark adept. Size for the sake of size, which is true biggerism, is a problem, but if attractive new details come with the size, then it should be kept.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

...and what is your purpose for bringing this thread back?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Though I appreciate the favorable comment from Higher Game, this discussion is closed, and most of the linked information in it (such as unit images) are very out of date.

Thread locked.