Campaign with Delfador as hero

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jp30

Campaign with Delfador as hero

Post by jp30 »

I am tinkering with the design of a campaign following Delfador as a young man - it would explain how he got to be friendly with the elves; how he learned to do the lightning bolt thing; and conclude with him defeating some powerful undead while in the service of Garard I (as suggested on the WesnothHistory wikitopic). Part of the adventure might involve him traveling to the land of the dead - this would be a good opportunity for him to pick up some powerful item that will help him defeat undead. I like the idea that the big undead baddie has destroyed the barrier between the realms of life and death (c.f. LeGuin's Earthsea trilogy).

Any suggestions? Anyone else thought of this? Any continuity issues I should respect?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

This could be an interesting prequel to 'Heir to the Throne' :)

You might like to look at challenge II: http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/forum/phpB ... 79&start=0 -- it had Delfador as a young mage. You could even use that scenario/story fragment in your campaign (although you're welcome to ignore it if you had something different in mind).

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

Wow, people actualy read my timeline? :D

That whole entry is based on the chalange senario and the information Dave released with it. It would be cool if that were expanded/remade (but longer) into a campaign.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

and if that scenario, and the couple others that were posted in the forum were linked in the UserScenario wiki page :wink:
Viliam
Translator

Re: Campaign with Delfador as hero

Post by Viliam »

jp30 wrote:I like the idea that the big undead baddie has destroyed the barrier between the realms of life and death (c.f. LeGuin's Earthsea trilogy).
Wouldn't it be too difficult to implement? :wink: If units cannot die (as in LeGuin's book), what should they do when HP reaches zero? Teleport to the top/bottom of screen?

OK, just joking...
jp30

Post by jp30 »

Dave, thanks for the pointer to challenge2, that's quite helpful. Don't know if I'll use the map, but it does give me more ideas, and a name for the baddie! Any reason Ihiah-Malall has three ells in his name? (by contrast with Muff Malal). Perhaps there're different ways of transliterating Wesnothian.

Villiam: pleased to see someone else is a fan. :) I hadn't thought of that feature of the book. A bad idea for regular units, perhaps, but maybe Ihiah-Malall should be unkillable without special means.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

jp30 wrote:Dave, thanks for the pointer to challenge2, that's quite helpful. Don't know if I'll use the map, but it does give me more ideas, and a name for the baddie! Any reason Ihiah-Malall has three ells in his name? (by contrast with Muff Malal). Perhaps there're different ways of transliterating Wesnothian.
No reason beyond variations in spelling.
jp30 wrote: Villiam: pleased to see someone else is a fan. :) I hadn't thought of that feature of the book. A bad idea for regular units, perhaps, but maybe Ihiah-Malall should be unkillable without special means.
Well, there could be a scenario where enemies, when 'killed', are sent back to their castle. The player would have to achieve some special goal to complete the scenario.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
jp30

try it

Post by jp30 »

I've made my work on this so far available and welcome comments. There's some information on the Wiki:

http://wesnoth.slack.it/?DelfadorsMemoirs

or just download the campaign from:

http://arche-wiki.st-and.ac.uk/~josh/memoirs-0.1.tar.gz
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Sorry, haven't played it yet, but, two things I noticed while installing (Win 98SE).

1. Already a "King" unit in TROW campaign. Should alter name a bit or just use his. I beleive his was first.

2. What are all the weird files for?
jp30

Post by jp30 »

Insinuator wrote:1. Already a "King" unit in TROW campaign. Should alter name a bit or just use his. I beleive his was first.
This is a problem.TROW and my campaign should share this unit. Best thing to do is for us to get it into the core wesnoth distribution. But neither of us have adequate graphics yet (IMO). Lets hope that someone comes up with a decent graphic. Until then, the two campaigns will be incompatible. I'll have to talk to the author of TROW about this.

If this problem stays unresolved, I'll perhaps rename my unit to "King of Wesnoth" or something similar. But that's not a permanent solution.
Insinuator wrote:2. What are all the weird files for?
Weirdness. :)

But seriously, what's weird about them? You are probably thinking of .xcf files, which are gimp sources to the graphics. There are also some unreachable scenarios included in the distribution. These will become usable in later versions.
Shade

On the TROW King. . .

Post by Shade »

The trow king is just a general with a gold spot in the middle of his shield, and a red plume on his helm. Same unit as the general, but I gave him a slightly stronger attack (erm, more heroic), slightly weaker Ranged attack, and a few more HP. This king is only in the first couple of my scenarios . Feel free to grab him if you want him. IMHO, and OT, the general is a weak 3rd level unit when compared to the compition.
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
jp30

Re: On the TROW King. . .

Post by jp30 »

Shade wrote:The trow king is just a general with a gold spot in the middle of his shield, and a red plume on his helm. Same unit as the general, but I gave him a slightly stronger attack (erm, more heroic), slightly weaker Ranged attack, and a few more HP. This king is only in the first couple of my scenarios . Feel free to grab him if you want him.
Hi, Shade,

Thanks. I think we're working a bit along parallel lines with this unit, so there's a lot to be gained by using the same unit and graphics. I don't think I can use your unit as he stands, but I hope that the reasons why might apply to your campaign too. Main problem for me is the graphic looks too military, and not distinctive enough. I'd rather something that looks like a more "regal" development of the Lord graphic (give him a crown or something, and maybe change his robes to purple rather than blue). I take it you want him to look distinct from Lord, since your protagonist will grow into a Lord - but perhaps a change of robe colour can take care of that.

Since I'm only using my "King" unit in a talking role at present, I don't much care about the details of the unit, but I do have a suggestion: I agree that King should be "more heroic" than Lord or General , but I think a better way to do it is just by making him high-level (my King unit is level 5) - so his leadership ability will affect level 3 and level 4 units, rather than making him a more powerful fighter. What do you think?
Shade

Sorry for letting this hang

Post by Shade »

No, most of my custom graphics are just placeholds. . . I agree w/ your idea of what he should look like, it's just that I'm a pixel butcher. . . I do my best to use what's in mainline- - -
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

jp30 wrote:I'd rather something that looks like a more "regal" development of the Lord graphic (give him a crown or something, and maybe change his robes to purple rather than blue). I take it you want him to look distinct from Lord, since your protagonist will grow into a Lord - but perhaps a change of robe colour can take care of that.
Something like this? (I had nothing else to do...)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
jp30

Post by jp30 »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Something like this? (I had nothing else to do...)
Thanks! That looks good, but it seems cropped a bit close on the left, though. I'll try this image in my campaign and see how it looks in context.