(UPDATE: 02/14/06)

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I'll just echo other's comments here, because it's clearly obvious to all that these works are of exceptional quality. Great stuff Johann!

I am a little concerned about the "gore" in the second picture, though - one of the things I love about Wesnoth is that it's suitable for all ages, and while I wouldn't want to dictate your artistic style, some of it does seem a bit dark/mature for our younger players.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Jester wrote:Magnificent... yeah... that's about all I have to say :D

Off-Topic
@romanjin:
You can not compare the quality of this art with the quality of, as you call it, 'modern art' (I assume you mean things as Mondriaan and Picasso). They are completly different in styles and thus incomparable.

I meant like if you can call a large plastic tube sticking out of the ground money-making art, then well, I could be an artist(no I don't mean Picasso)
Sorry for the meaningless post
Johann
Art Contributor

Post by Johann »

Hey guys, just wanted to thank you all for the warm reception. I wish I could hurry up and finish all of the images for ThtT but other things require attention too, unfortunately. Rest assured it will get done, and I have taken note of the various concerns, one of which is the pg13 nature of the game (btw, I edited out 80% of the blood on the dead king pic, so it should be more sanitized now).

Take care, you all have a good one!
Johann de Venecia / sketchbook
Jester

Post by Jester »

romnajin wrote:
Jester wrote:Magnificent... yeah... that's about all I have to say :D

Off-Topic
@romanjin:
You can not compare the quality of this art with the quality of, as you call it, 'modern art' (I assume you mean things as Mondriaan and Picasso). They are completly different in styles and thus incomparable.

I meant like if you can call a large plastic tube sticking out of the ground money-making art, then well, I could be an artist(no I don't mean Picasso)
Yes you can call that art. You can even call a unrinoir with a signature on it art. Somebody actually did that, mister Duchamp. He bought some urinoirs wrote his signature on them and got to sell them for thousends.

There are a lot of different art styles and you just can't compare one style to the other.
You might not like one style, nut that dopesn't mean that it's not art.

Sorry for the Off-Topic
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
Jkun

Post by Jkun »

Johann, those are excellent pictures. Keep up the good work. Wesnoth needs people like you. >;]

Personally, I think Wesnoth would benefit if the entire game was themed around your art.
Johann
Art Contributor

Post by Johann »

How's it going, guys? I have a few new things to add, all of which I've been doing on and off in between other unrelated tasks, so please bear with the highly randomized delay.

Here are the low-res of the 4 ThhT images:

That's it so far. Though I'd post it to confirm my existence and continued participation with the HttT art development. You all have a good one. Oh yeah, Happy Valentine's Day!
Johann de Venecia / sketchbook
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Johann wrote:How's it going, guys? I have a few new things to add, all of which I've been doing on and off in between other unrelated tasks, so please bear with the highly randomized delay.

That's it so far. Though I'd post it to confirm my existence and continued participation with the HttT art development. You all have a good one. Oh yeah, Happy Valentine's Day!
Believe me, with work like this, we can live with randomized delays! These are incredible. I wait in anticipation of the whole HttT to be done.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

eeeh, not bad.

j/k, those are incredible all around! I love the style and especially the coloring.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
grzywacz
Inactive Developer

Post by grzywacz »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

*bows*
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Fantastic. Captures the look of the characters also imo.
taz

Post by taz »

Johann wrote: Here are the low-res of the 4 ThhT images:
Wow ! Most impressive !

Although I easily understand that working on the official campaigns should be a higher priority for you, I’m missing some illustrations for the narrative part of my campaign : “The Restoration of Wesnoth�. So if you have time and if you are interested feel free to contact me by pm or on this post, your fantastic artwork would be a great enhancement for my campaign.
Creator of The Restoration of Wesnoth campaign.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

These are THE best pictures I've seen, ever. But, as constructive critics, Ashiviere looks a little too young on the last picture, It's not ugly, just a little unlogical for someone to have a son who looks only ten years youger the the person. And happy Valentine's day to you too.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Airk

Post by Airk »

Holy wow, batman. And I don't think she looks too young. Well preserved maybe, but not too young.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Thrid from top is just.. awesome..
Rest is good as well, but thrid from top is my favorite.
:)
toms

Post by toms »

Can you make a good Ashivere portrait too? (And one for Konrad, maybe)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!