Thread of the N3T clan

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sapient
Inactive Developer

Thread of the N3T clan

Post by Sapient »

To the N3T ("no three team") clan: if you wish to join please tell me your MP name to be added to the roster. To anyone who posts here: I request that you avoid going far off-topic.

Current Roster:

Code: Select all

----------------------------------------
MP Name             Title 
----                ----- 
sapient_n3t         Leader of the N3T Clan 
Dacyn               Defender of the N3T 
turin               Enlightened Clan Magus 
Baufo               Knight Who Says N3T 
Garison             N3T Duelist of Light
F8_Binds_n3t        Supreme N3T Commanding Officer
TheMasterOfBattle   Agent N3T
ElvishVanquisher    ( awaiting title )
murgatroid          ( awaiting title )
The_Same_n3t        ( awaiting title )
Dave_N3T            ( awaiting title ) 
Firense             ( awaiting title )
DDR                 ( awaiting title )
Zeno                ( awaiting title )
Me1234              ( awaiting title )
St Stux             ( awaiting title )
turska              ( awaiting title )
Uprising            ( awaiting title )
Darth_Jordius       ( awaiting title )
underling           ( awaiting title )
akkarin345          ( awaiting title )
Mica                ( awaiting title )
AI                  ( awaiting title )
PROTEUS             ( awaiting title )
The_Unforgiven      ( awaiting title )
Darklord_Elvis      ( awaiting title )
Elvenking           ( awaiting title )
Caphriel            ( awaiting title )
Elvish_Conquerer    ( awaiting title )
Elvish_Sovereign    ( awaiting title )
artisticdude        ( awaiting title )
sur.nhm             ( awaiting title )
----------------------------------------
Rules for membership:

You are not allowed to play in games with three teams: this includes for example 1v1v1 or 2v2v2. You are not required to add "N3T" to your MP nickname, but may do so if you so chose. Notice that no one can become an official member until their statement of contempt has been provided here in this thread.

Reasons to dislike 3-team games:
  • Games with three teams encourage "chicken play," where you simply defend your holdings until the enemy is weakened.
  • Games with three teams always degenerate into a 2v1, with one player suffering the brunt of two opponents' armies. (Usually the one he defeats, then the chicken army)
  • Ganging up against one team occurs too easily: all it requires is one team sending more units against one side than the other.
Suggestion:

If someone asks you to join a 1v1v1, instead request that it be changed to a 2v1, in which one player is given more gold. An example would be "Morituri Mordor-style" where 3p morituri is played as follows: Player 1 (alliance of darkness, 275 gold), Player 2 & 3 (alliance of light, 100 gold each)
Last edited by F8 Binds... on June 12th, 2010, 5:13 pm, edited 36 times in total.
Reason: added Elvish_Sovereign, artisticdude, and sur.nhm
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I wanted to make a no classic era thread, but it has been removed.
It's a good idea.

Concerning your clan, I wanted to add that 1vs1vs1 games also have a problem because you have very few units. When the map is big, people tend to try to kill the leaders as quickly as possible, withouth that they can protect themselves well (like a mage struck killed in one turn by one lvl 2 cavalry with charge, while the mage's faction was winning, but that he had his unit too far to protect their leader).

But I won't join the clan because I don't like having to obey to certain rules when it's just a game.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Alrighty then, Tux, I'll list you as sympathizer. Sympathizers are friends to the clan. 8)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I agree that games with more than two teams are a little silly. But, having to make a 'clan' in support of this...? :roll:

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Dave wrote:I agree that games with more than two teams are a little silly. But, having to make a 'clan' in support of this...?
I'll save a slot for you in case you decide to join, Dave. :D

(ph34r teh n3t!) <-- and yes, I am being silly
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Ths only clan Dave supports is Clan Dev, he has all the henchmen he needs there. It's elite.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
player

Post by player »

i actually like youre idea, but i cant play til spring break:cry:
-jew
Spam

Post by Spam »

"Free For Alls" are pretty common amongest the entire spectrum of games =/

It's just a game. Maybe if you just obsess over victory and therefore 1) Play chicken to win and 2) then feel bad when you lose, but for most of us, we just like to play =/

I also play 3v3v3's, 2v2v2v2's, 1v1v1v1's, etc, etc
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Spam, I'll add you to our official enemies list then. :lol: Since you fail to see the light of our cause: Attack, my minions!
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

I really enjoy FFA games. A lot of the problems you cite really only occur when people do not know what they are doing. Yes there is teaming in FFA and yes you can lose when you are in a very good position, this is part of what makes it fun.

It does take an additional set of skills. You need to be able to recognize when one player is too powerful and lay off a weak opponent so that they will weaken the leader. You need to be able to forgo taking easy villages for a time sometimes because it may make you too strong.

A well played FFA is all about a balance of power where one side is attempting to get nearly as much strength as the others combined and then can take them out one at a time. There is a lot fo skill involved in concealing your strength, avoiding easy options and getting to this point.

Of course you stil have your idiots who just buy 4 griffons and send them to the nearest leader and assasinate him. But they never win, and its easy enough to aovid them when organizing future games.

For people obssessed with fairness it is not a good type of gamebecuase you can play by far the best and still lose. Hell eveything can go perfectly and you can still lose. But life isn't fair either. And if you are good at FFAs you WILL win more often than not. About two weeks ago I won maybe 10 or 15 1v1v1s in a row. Since then I think I have gone maybe 4-2.

This is a good type of play for those who like Diplomacy/Risk or other multisided boards games.

(Full Disclosure I was a top10 FFA player in Warcraft 3 and was really sick of seeing people claim it required no skill. Of course when the top 1v1 player would come to FFA they would always get their asses handed to them just as the FFA leaders would lose in 1v1, they require different skills.)

End of Sermon :)
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Bec, Bec, silly Bec. I am quite a big fan of the FFA format. Are you forgetting that the top map on my wiki page is a Royal Rumble mod? I even modded it to encourage aggressive play.

A mere 3-players hardly qualifies for a fullscale FFA, in my opinion. Instead it is just enough to provide the illusion of a balanced match (while inevitably handing one person the shaft of unfairness).
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

I must say I find it kind of amusing that most clans showing up are based on placing some sort of artificial restrictions on it's members :P
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

frame wrote:I must say I find it kind of amusing that most clans showing up are based on placing some sort of artificial restrictions on it's members :P
I hereby announce the Free For All clan. There are no restrictions on membership, and you don't even need to let anyone no you are a part of it. After all, it is free for all. ;) :lol:
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

frame wrote:I must say I find it kind of amusing that most clans showing up are based on placing some sort of artificial restrictions on it's members :P
I prefer the clans we now have than those there used to be during the Summer (like THAT one)
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
unsung

Post by unsung »

Tux2B wrote: I prefer the clans we now have than those there used to be during the Summer (like THAT one)
I remember when that happened, and the people who started some of the threads (ike the elf one) talked about how much gold they'd raised or whatnot. :roll:

I also want "the third corsair of the Dawnbearer" as a title someday.
:wink:

I prefer the old ones. They were to me what a bunch of deaf and blind deer painted purple are to a hunter in winter.
:twisted:
These new ones aren't even clans: they actually play wesnoth, they have brains, and they aren't annoying. they even have the cpacity to use correct english.
Seriously, what has the world come to? :?
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?