More cave terrains

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

More cave terrains

Post by freim »

I'm about to commit two new cave terrains.

One is a "rough" terrain which will be aliases to "hills". The other is a "mushroom forest" which will be a new type of terrain with it's own set of defense values for the various units.

This should allow for a bit more defense value variety in subterrain maps, which atm is a bit lacking in this aspect.

Not sure what the names should be yet. "rocky cave" and "mushroom forest" is the working titles, along with "fungus" for the new base terrain id.

Lu Mong
Location: Somewhere near:/ (Well... not exactly... some bloody Czech Republic...)

Post by Lu Mong »

Whoa! I like the mushrooms! :) And this could be really great in gameplay too... :)
Darkness beyond twilight,
More crimson than the blood that flows,
Lost in the depths of time,
I call upon thy name!
toms

Post by toms »

Mushrooms?? :shock: :?

The cave hills are great, however. :) :roll:
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

For mushroom forests, you may want to have the occaisional mushroom towering over the others, to suggest this is something an elf might actually be able to hide in.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
freim

Post by freim »

Sapient wrote:For mushroom forests, you may want to have the occaisional mushroom towering over the others, to suggest this is something an elf might actually be able to hide in.
The scale of terrain and units is far from being the same anyway, so I don't see the point.

Terrain scale != building scale != unit scale

Furthermore it's not an alias to forest so it doesn't have to relate to that, and it's not a given that it will be a terrain that elves are much better than other units in. That will be up to the balance devs to decide.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Right, but if these are huge mushrooms, they can't all be huge...? In that case you need to add lots of tiny-er mushrooms.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
freim

Post by freim »

Sapient wrote:Right, but if these are huge mushrooms, they can't all be huge...? In that case you need to add lots of tiny-er mushrooms.
I might do that.
Lu Mong
Location: Somewhere near:/ (Well... not exactly... some bloody Czech Republic...)

Post by Lu Mong »

frame wrote:
Sapient wrote:Right, but if these are huge mushrooms, they can't all be huge...? In that case you need to add lots of tiny-er mushrooms.
I might do that.
Yeah! That would be even more cool! :D I love mushrooms! :D
I call upon thy name!
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

nice work, although I am not sure new terrains is a great idea, I like the elegance of the current system (call me old fashioned). I would be in favvor of mushroom forest just being a type of forest.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
freim

Post by freim »

forcemstr convinced me they could use some improvement, so I went ahead and redid them and made some new ones:

The tiles will be updated to use these and have some more variants.

Edit: updated third from left on top row.
Last edited by freim on January 26th, 2006, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I'm in favor of making mushrooms and mushroom forests a common occurrence on the surface of the world of Wesnoth, not just underground. Mushrooms should be big and tree-like, so elvish forests would usually partially be mushroom forests. There would be lots of mushrooms in and around swamps and just out in the open everywhere, too. They should be given their own terrain type, like "fungus", which would be, defense and movement-wise something between the current forest and swamp. It would probably be very good terrain for undead. Drakes and dwarves would probably dislike it very much. Any support for such a radical change/addition?
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

zookeeper wrote:I'm in favor of making mushrooms and mushroom forests a common occurrence on the surface of the world of Wesnoth, not just underground. Mushrooms should be big and tree-like, so elvish forests would usually partially be mushroom forests. There would be lots of mushrooms in and around swamps and just out in the open everywhere, too. They should be given their own terrain type, like "fungus", which would be, defense and movement-wise something between the current forest and swamp. It would probably be very good terrain for undead. Drakes and dwarves would probably dislike it very much. Any support for such a radical change/addition?
very good idea!
Lu Mong

Post by Lu Mong »

zookeeper: I think that is not bad idea at all.. but do not listen to me because I am a Mushroom maniac! :D
I call upon thy name!
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

top row, third from left looks...well...odd. Not quite like a mushroom and it sticks out in the grouped in-game shot as well. I think it is that the dark center causes it to look like a shadow in a bowl shape more than just a darker color on a normal mushroom top. The effect is not as bad in the second from the left because the shape of the color on top is not round.
freim

Post by freim »

Darth Fool wrote:top row, third from left looks...well...odd. Not quite like a mushroom and it sticks out in the grouped in-game shot as well. I think it is that the dark center causes it to look like a shadow in a bowl shape more than just a darker color on a normal mushroom top. The effect is not as bad in the second from the left because the shape of the color on top is not round.
You don't like my donut mushroom? :)

I can change it, it does look a bit strange.