Post by Leonhard »

and a last one...
Attachments
spear.png
spear.png (4.3 KiB) Viewed 12335 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

There are odd smudges behind every one. Attack icons are currently meant to be used against a black background and probably should contain only the weapon or projectile in question and not excess background colours or patterns.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

I see what you are trying to do with the bg's, but I think it would look better if you try without them. It looks a bit to busy with the bg's.

I would also consider making them a bit more uniform. Some have "motion blurs", while others don't. The perspective and angle is also different.

I think it has potential. Icons are hard to do, and most tend to make the error of adding to much details and stuff. Icons need to be clear and clean.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Although the effect of the backgrounds is something different and interesting, i still agree with the comments already told.

I definitely like the way you do the weapons though, so, without motion blurs and backgrounds, i think these could be very close to what Jetryl was wishing for the buttons.

In terms of features, i think the baneblade, ballista and bow look the best, and would be pleased, if buttons accepted, that they could be done with similar effects.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Leonhard
Art Contributor

Post by Leonhard »

Thanks for the answers. Maybe you have already done it, but you should test them in the game to see the effect of the backgrounds. They do not all look like what I wanted them to, but I think it adds a bit of color to the interface. Anyway I have these icons without bg, I can post them. I think I must have them somewhere without shadows.
Considering the motion blurs, i appears to me too this morning that it was not such a good idea, I will remove them.
Considering perspective and angle, I see what you mean, but still I can't decide my self for icons contained in the plain of the screen - flat-, like the axe or a bit more 3D like the battle axe. It seems it depends on the weapon... Well, I'll think about it.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

it's easy to test them in-game.
just replace the appropriate files with yours (give them the same name)
in images/attacks.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Disto

Post by Disto »

Yeah just remove the background of them and they will be a huge improvement to what we have.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Leonhard
Art Contributor

Post by Leonhard »

In fact I think you're right! I'm the kind og guy who draws with an idea an wekes up the day after and says "gosh, why did I draw that". Anyway, here are some of them without bg. Any idea how I could present them all in one post (I'm limited to three attachements)?
Attachments
axe.png
axe.png (2.69 KiB) Viewed 12060 times
baneblade.png
baneblade.png (3.18 KiB) Viewed 12059 times
bow.png
bow.png (2.4 KiB) Viewed 12057 times
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Compress them in a .tar file, and then post it
Leonhard
Art Contributor

Post by Leonhard »

and I think maybe they are too bright (and there is a problem at the rim of the crossbow - which, by the way, should be in the middle of the square, I will fiw that) what do you say?
Attachments
crossbow.png
crossbow.png (3.24 KiB) Viewed 12050 times
spear.png
spear.png (2.35 KiB) Viewed 12050 times
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

i think they're good, but they don't quite fit with the rest of wesnoth, they need at least a little bit more of a cartoon quality. Also I really don't like the ones that continue outside of the square, but thats just my personnal oppinion.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Woodwizzle wrote:Also I really don't like the ones that continue outside of the square, but thats just my personnal oppinion.
Hmm.. That's not sure. I would need to see that in game. I'm not sure it's such a big problem once in game.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Leonhard
Art Contributor

Post by Leonhard »

Hello there,

Here is last night's work.

Woodwizzle : in my opinion to it is not to bad when weapons continue outside the square in game, maybe you could test it.

For the cartoon style, my opinion is a bit different. I think you can do better graphics if you don't make surrounds and limit lines around color areas, see the new mountains for example. It seems there is a style concerning units, but maybe it is not to use every where. But I'm new here, so I maybe totally wrong concerning the spirit of the art developers, and of course ready to adapt :D
Attachments
attack_buttons.PNG
attack_buttons.PNG (45 KiB) Viewed 12055 times
Attacks.tar
(36 KiB) Downloaded 551 times
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Yeah there is the intention of getting rid of outlines though I can only speak for sprites (and not even there).
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields