Dwarvish Runemaster

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Dwarvish Runemaster

Post by Eleazar »

There's a Runemaster the mainline in game. I'm not sure how it's used, but i've run across 2 sets of (IMO) better graphics.
1) Asereje's and
2) Shadow's zipped here and shown here.

I don't see why the current runemaster graphics shouldn't be replaced with one of these...
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
scott

Post by scott »

Ivanovic and I were deciding if it should be removed. It has been there for a looooong time, according to the CVS/SVN history.

Then we thought what if we had freelance units that were part of the wesnoth universe but were not used anywhere? They would be available for user campaigns and basically handy to have around.

But, with the attention art has been getting lately, only a few units by neorice and wayfarer would probably make it. One of wayfarer's dwarves (the axe thrower) has more animations than probably any other unit.

The better question is whether anyone knows why it is there. Sometimes there are reasons for weird stuff like this.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I agree.

Personnaly, I prefer Asereje's version.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Mortles

Post by Mortles »

The Asereje's version is perfect :)
Nobody's perfect. Only present perfect is perfect."

--A gramatical discusion in a Wesnoth game
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

scott wrote:Then we thought what if we had freelance units that were part of the wesnoth universe but were not used anywhere? They would be available for user campaigns and basically handy to have around.
I think this is a good idea as long as the graphics are up to par. Well done UMC units that appear in a number of campaigns should especially be considered.
scott wrote:The better question is whether anyone knows why it is there. Sometimes there are reasons for weird stuff like this.
I'd assume it was part of some plan to get the outlaws out of the Knalgans, but that's just a guess.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I'm fairly certain that this image was in game long before the knalgans were combined with the outlaws in the first place.

If we keep this unit, could we also add the level 2 variant (runesmith)? Then, all UMCs like SoF just have to add some code making the Dwarvish Fighter advance to both of those units for them to work. (If that's possible. I'm not sure it is currently possible to link two units that are both already defined...)

Another candidate would be the level 3 outlaws, along with a mechanism for UMCs to easily have the level 2 outlaws advance into them.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Is it just me or did shadow's have three levels?

And with the outlaws I would love to have the L3 outlaws added to the mainline, I really want to use them in multiplayer, and I wouldn't have to add them to my campaign file makeing it a smaller download. :D
scott

Post by scott »

The L3 outlaws are protected by #ifdef USE_L3_OUTLAWS, but I don't know if you could use them in multiplayer without them showing up in every era.

The runemaster line and axe runner lines are well drawn and animated.

Are there any other 'freelance' units?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

#ifdef MULTIPLAYER
#define USE_L3_OUTLAWS
#enddef
#endif

Ta-da. ;)

(And yes, #ifdef MULTIPLAYER is valid. Look at data/multiplayer.cfg.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

only problem is that nobody else in the forums will have that, so I can't play anyone.

I can already use it in human vs AI as I have made a test era which has prety much all of the factions in it as seperate things (so the dwarves with the runner, with the outlaws seperate, with mermen and nagas, with arendians, maurauders, etc)
scott

Post by scott »

scott wrote: without them showing up in every era.
turin wrote:#ifdef MULTIPLAYER
#define USE_L3_OUTLAWS
#enddef
#endif

Ta-da. ;)

(And yes, #ifdef MULTIPLAYER is valid. Look at data/multiplayer.cfg.)
Yes, this contaminates every era. The Demo and All Factions MP eras cause this problem.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

If you want to make an era with L3 outlaws, without breaking the default era (because of [advance_from] tags), you can pick them from the Peasant Era.
You will probably have correct :
- The Henchman is hereby heavily modified, you shall restore its stats and advancements
- The female Poacher can also advance to the Outlaw Princess, you may want to remove this advancement
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Ranger M wrote:Is it just me or did shadow's have three levels?
No it has 4
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

scott wrote:Ivanovic and I were deciding if it should be removed. It has been there for a looooong time, according to the CVS/SVN history.
I still don't know why it was there, but at least its no longer ugly.
commited the graphics from sceptre of fire. (asereje's)
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

*nods* Yep, it certainly does look better...