Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Arendian Faction

Post by Ranger M »

Seeing as my old thread didn't seem to be getting much feedback about art that I posted, I made this one for the faction I am designing to feature in Invasion of Arendia, and possibly in imperial era along with aragwaith, Levians and maurauders (I figure they could use more than three factions).

I have done the entire swordsman line and would like some feedback on them, also if anyone animated some of them I would be very greateful.

BTW the lines go something like this, although I am putting them in to the mulitplayer forum for scrutiny

Code: Select all

Swordsman->Commander->Warlord (warrior with leadership)
->Wanderer->Hero (high defence many attacks and skirmisher, but low HP)
->warrior->Battlear (tough, armoured and strong, but slow and not many attacks)

Archer->Hunter->Slayer (good ranged and average melee)
->feather bow->arrow wind (great ranged, bad melee)

Druid->Shaman->Warlock (heals, low damage magic attack)

Horse Archer->Mounted Marksman->Mounted Sharpshooter (obvously a mounted archer, need better names)

Horseman->Mounted Warrior->Horse Master (cavalry with swords, serve as scouts, also need better names)
Last edited by Ranger M on December 31st, 2005, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

And these which also come from the swordsman
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

and these which also come from the swordsman

I have also added my preliminary unit for the horse archer
Steelclad Brian

Post by Steelclad Brian »

The horse archer is nice - good enough that if I needed a generic horse archer unit I'd probably use it.

BTW, your guy with the flails has the flails in mid-air in his idle position (assuming thats his idle position). You might want to use that instead as part of the attack animation and have the flails at rest, so he doesn't look like he has magical gravity defying flail heads.

I don't really like the rank and file guys in general, but I think they'd make an excellent start: you got the basic forms for the unit looking good, they just need some work on the detailing and perhaps some more inspired use of color.

Take that with a grain of salt though I'm not an artist.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Those were meant to be the basic, most boring units (which I could also practice on) rest assured that the rest will be better and more colourful, etc
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I like the graphics. They may not be Neorice quality, but they're good. (Better then I can do)

But one thing, the faces of the Hero and Wanderer both look blurred, almost blank. Sorry to be blunt, but those faces make an otherwise nice picture look kinda awful. Just my opinion. :)

I noticed the same blurred face on your avatar. Is it a personal style thing?

Other then that, well done on the sprites.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

It's supposed to be in a sort of hood, which is why it is so dark, I could lighten it a bit, but I think that defineing it more would be better, I'll post an updated unit soon so you can see what you think of it.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Ah! So the face is shaded by the hood? That makes sense. When I look at it with that in mind it suddenly looks better :D.

Still, if I were you and I wanted a unit with a shrouded face, I would make the hood come down over the eyes, or have the face black.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Here is the lighter version of the wanderer (which I can easily apply to the Hero too), and the Battlear with no 'gravity defying flails'. Feed back welcome.
mickyg

Post by mickyg »

your wonderer looks too much like your main caracture of "invastion of Arendia" as i said he looks too much like the unit reth
philosophers are always proved wrong
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

this is only because they both have hoods and cloaks, (however you will notice that the wanderer and hero both have green cloaks), and yes I do realise that the Hero and reth both have double bladed swords, but this is because when I was making Reth I gave him a double bladed sword for a reason, he is given it as a weapon that is considered fast and versitle by the Arendians, therefore he gets the same weapon as the unit which needs a fast and versitile weapon, the hero.

[edit] I also got the head and hood for the wanderer and hero from reth, who got it from the ranger unit, which is another reason why they look similar.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Here are the archer images. Feel free to critocise or praise. But if you do critocise, do so constructivly, don't just say they suck, say why.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

And the rest.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Regarding the slayer and hunter:

If one unit is an advancement (level-up) on the other it should probably look a little more enhanced. As far as I can tell, the Slayer is just an edit of the hunter with a sword inserted and bigger bow. It doesn't look like much of an improvement. Perhaps give him a more elaborate cloak? Or a change of stance?

Hope this helps.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Nice job
Sorry for the meaningless post