Campaign: Invasion of Arendia

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ranger M
Art Contributor

Campaign: Invasion of Arendia

Post by Ranger M »

I am in the middle of making a campaign called Invasion of Arendia and have completed 8 scenarios, although two are dialouge. It is based on the bandits faction, and I made it because I was tired of some campaigns supporting level three bandits and some not (this means that I re-did all the bandit units, with different Id's and made them advance to the level 3 bandits). I also made a new unit which is an advancement of the Brigand for the campaign although at the moment it just looks like a brigand with a sword.
However when I first started making it i wasn't going to put it on the web because at the time I didn't know how, this meant that I copied a few portraits, and used, but heavily edited because I didn't have the editor to make my own easily, some maps from other campaigns, is this ok? (mostly from the campaigns that come with the game although I think I used a map from liberty, one from A new order, two portraits from the dark hoards and a portrait from saving elsenfair) because I am now planning to release it. I should be posting a download for people to try soon, but I haven't got any translations or different difficults for the levels. However before I do i need some kind of world map (for the story bits) any help would be good.

please could the makers of these campaigns tell me if using their stuff is ok,(however much I have edited it I still wanted to ask first)
Last edited by Ranger M on April 30th, 2006, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

most people would be okay with you using their maps and portraits but it is still great to ask

My friend loves the bandits and has been waiting for another campaign like that to come out, it osunds like it would be good to
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I am hoping that they will see this and say yes or no, but I am still trying to work out where I got some things from or what things I borrowed, as I said earlier this was origionally designed for me so I didn't think of this as a problem because no one else would see it.

I should soon have a list of who I borrowed from and what It was.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Anything you got from the Campaign Server you are allowed to use, as long as you release your modified versions under the GPL.

I'm fine with you using the portraits from Saving Elensefar, but I didn't make them. Pickslide did.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Okay things that I have borrowed are:

the caravan images and unit (although I changed it from the scepter of fire
four portraits from Liberty (were very useful)
three portraits from the dark hoards
a bunch of portraits from the campaigns from the four that come with wesnoth (human and orc)
the Kid images and units from the heist

the maps:
Outlaw base from A new order
End of peace from the son of black eye
The hunters from Liberty
and Proven by the sword from the south guard

although all of the maps were used as a starting point for what is actually in the game because I don't have the wesnoth editor for some reason

these are all of them that I can find but there may be more, which I will post later
aelius

Post by aelius »

Ranger M wrote:...and Proven by the sword from The South G
Glad to see part of the South Guard is useful to somebody! You've definitely got my blessing, and I look forward to playing.

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Like Turin said - everything is under GPL so you may use the stuff freely from a legal point of view. Asking is polite but not required.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Is there any other way of putting campaigns on the sever, when I try to access it from in game it says 'Error remote host disconnected', this is probably because I am in school right now. Because it works fine at home, I would be able to put it up next Wednesday, which is when we break up so I will be at home, but I would rather put it up now.
scott

Post by scott »

You can try the perl tools for campaign server access: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... ign+server

Or, you can e-mail it to someone and trust him to give you the passphrase.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

What do you mean? the link seams to lead to people talking about ideas and suggestions not a actual web interface
scott

Post by scott »

The link provides the instructions/examples and location of the file (utils directory). The file is a perl program that you can run from the command line if you have perl installed. You don't actually need a web interface. It's just that web pages can run perl code and that makes it convenient.

So, if you can run perl from a command line, then you can do this. The 3 files you need are here: http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/wesnoth/trunk/utils/

If not, you may consider the second option.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I don't think that I have pearl and I probably couldn't e-mail something that large from school, I think they have put a limit on it, so I will have to wait to get home.

Or I could post it as an attachment here (in bits as when I tried that before it said it was too large) so anyone wanting to try it could download it. They would have to gather it into one folder, but it could be done quite quickly, would this work or would the limit stop that too?
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I also need a bit of help with the WML, when I made my main character I tried to do what was done in A New Order where the main character upgrades in different ways when he reaches level 3. Mine starts at the point where it upgrades in different ways, but when ever he goes up a level the old change is disregarded and the new one put in place. how can I solve this?
scott

Post by scott »

I have a hard time believing your school won't let you send attachments of a few MB. Do they think it's 1999? ;)
The hotmail limit is 10 MB.

I assume you're using Windows, but if not there is a good chance you have perl installed already.

For the other thing you need to provide more details.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I have got Lunix not windows but I have no Idea wat pearl is or how to find it on my laptop. I did a search when you mentioned it but it didn't find any files called pearl, This might just be because my laptop is slow, but I did leave it for a while

with the attaching it to this message, it is 8.2MB in total although that is includung some portraits I thought might be useful, but havn't used yet along with all the maps I used as starting points and some more I thought might be useful, I am going to move them out of it and try again.