Wargs

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Logan

Wargs

Post by Logan »

Shadowblitz has moved on to World of Warcraft, and left me to clean up after him, so i'd best get cracking, shall I?

I'm thinking chaotic to simulate moonlight, and impact(tackle) and blade/pierce (claws/teeth).

Any suggestions?

Turin has changed the title, as Jester requested. The original title was "Werewolves".
Last edited by Logan on August 26th, 2006, 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Is there is no magic and these are like the original were wolves from movies well go ahead, better then magic wolves
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Already I'm liking the idea much more than his magical, super-intelligent, cultured, superstrong, berserking beasties. Good lord... If I wanted things like that, I'd read comic books.

Now would you make a werewolf race, or a were-race, with different animals?
Jester

Post by Jester »

This may sound a bit crazy, but what about making this faction an all close-combat faction?

This simply because I can't imagine a wizard-werewolf and certainly not an archer-werewolf...
Now would you make a werewolf race, or a were-race, with different animals?
I have thought about the latter and have come up with the following:

Gaians

A faction based on animal totems or something, such as: the Wolf, the Stag, the Raven etc.

Basic level progress would be that lvl 1 unit would be a human 'form' (ex. Raven would be soemthing as Winged One or something). Lvl 2 would be the animal form (simply Raven). And level three would be a combination of the two ( insert cool name here).

I dunno, just two stupid ideas.
[/b][/quote]
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
Rune

Post by Rune »

Jester wrote:This may sound a bit crazy, but what about making this faction an all close-combat faction?
I agree. That would make them something different from the rest.

I think they should have low resistance to fire, and even lower to holy. I don't see them as wearing armor, so resistances should probably be low in general, but defense should be high. especially in forests.

Here's a couple of unit suggestions:

werewolf: main unit. good melee attack.

scout: high movement, skirmish

Stalker: Nightstalk, backstab

Rabid wolf: Berserk, poison

pack leader: leadership

(some of these should probably be upgraded versions of some of the other)

Drain is another ability that I think might fit with this theme. But I'm not sure which units should get it. One variant could be to have ALL the werewolves with Drain, but that might be difficult to get balanced. However, they need something good to make up for the lack of ranged attacks.

Plague could also be a good ability to use with this faction.

I will think about this some more, and maybe make a more proper unit tree proposal.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

I Like Runes Idea, but the Totem Pole idea sounds kinda wierd
Jester

Post by Jester »

I don't really know what you mean by weird. Do you mean as in 'craaaazy man undoable' or just funny/out of the ordinairy.

I too like the all close-combat idea.
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

But what about some sort of moon-shaman?
If white was black and black was white, what would happen to zebra crossings?
jining

Post by jining »

werewolves should have plague since people bitten by them turn into werewolves (at least they do in the movies i have seen)
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

in the old thread, they had one speacialty, high cost unit that did, so it might still be there

And by weird i mean psycho, out of the ordinary
Rune

Post by Rune »

jining wrote:werewolves should have plague since people bitten by them turn into werewolves (at least they do in the movies i have seen)
I agree, and ideally I would like all of the werewolf units have that ability on their bite attack. However it might be too powerful. I'm not entirely sure how the plague ability works. The ingame-help says the bitten unit becomes a new unit of the same type as the attacker. Does that mean that if I kill a level 1 spearman with a level 3 werewolf, I get a new level 3 werewolf? If so, that would be a bit over the top IMHO. If, on the other hand, it would result in me getting a level 1 wolf (or even better: a level 0) then I think it could work, and this could be the feature that offsets their lack of ranged attacks.

EDIT: I looked into it, and it seems the plague ability has a parameter that allows you to specify which unit the killed one turns into. Therefore I suggest that we let all the werewolves' bite attack have the plague ability that turns any killed units into a level 0 werewolf.

I also think that werewolf units should have several available attacks each, and that the bite ability should be less powerful than the other. Then you would always have to make the choice between more damage and the possibility of getting a new level 0 unit.
Last edited by Rune on December 2nd, 2005, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sly

Post by Sly »

Emmanovi wrote:But what about some sort of moon-shaman?
A unit with a halo of darkness ... sounds rather cool ^_^
(and maybe a cold attack, but no healing)
toms

Post by toms »

:idea: You could put vampires and werewolves into one era.

(and silver-munition-gunshooters...:P:P:P)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Rune

Post by Rune »

My first attempt at a unit tree for the werewolves:

Code: Select all

Werewolves

Level 0     Level 1    Level 2           Level 3
Werewolf -> Warrior -> Pack Leader    -> L3 Leader
                    -> Rabid werewolf
                    -> L2 Warrior     -> L3 Warrior
         -> Scout   -> L2 Scout
         -> Stalker -> L2 Stalker     -> L3 Stalker

All units have Plague(Werewolf) on their Bite attack. No ranged or magical attacks. Low fire resistance, and very low holy resistance. They are of course chaotic. Defense and movement costs should be similar to elves, except they should have decent movement costs in caves. The undead trait might also be appropriate, but I'm not sure how traits work.

Most units should have at least two melee attacks: Bite (blade) and Tackle (impact). Perhaps a third blade attack (Claw) that does more damage, but doesn't have Plague.

Warrior:
Good melee attacks

Pack leader:
Leadership (duh!)

Rabid werewolf:
Poison and/or Berserk

Scout:
High movement. Skirmisher at L2

Stalker:
Nightstalk, backstab and drain are fitting abilities here. Perhaps Backstab at L1, nightstalk at L2 and drain at L3. Or perhaps that is too many abilities in the same unit.
What do you think?
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

There is very much factions proposals, but nearly every stops in same place:
the art. You can make new faction without art!