Applying Graphic Design to the Info Bar

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Applying Graphic Design to the Info Bar

Post by Eleazar »

The current info bar suffers from a lack of information hierarchy. I don't know if a multi-platform/language game has the capacity to reliably tweak the leading (distance between lines of text) so i didn't mess with that much.

This is my take on a more readable set-up.

The only alteration that may need some explanation is the how i repositioned movement points. It seems like it belongs with the "HP" and "XP" (not only because "MP" is a similar abbreviation :) ) but because it's also a vital statistic that can change within a single turn, while all the other information is relatively static.

The darker lettering, may appear slightly too dark on some screens, but you get my idea.
Attachments
Left: OLD
<br />Right: NEW
Left: OLD
Right: NEW
InfoPanel.jpg (66.39 KiB) Viewed 8917 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
KnightXIII

Post by KnightXIII »

the new 1 is very cool~ :D
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Anyone who has the capability/inclination to do this to trunk, please do (being that I don't know whether you were tweaking game files, or just hacking something together in PS). I think this is a great idea.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I'll have to give this a go in at least the dfool theme. ;)
Naeddyr

Post by Naeddyr »

If the text is too dark (so that it can't be read on some monitors - and otherwise, too :p) maybe you could use indentation instead.
freim

Post by freim »

Nice, a real improvement. I would also like to see smaller versions of the icons used in the attack dialog here as well.

Edit: the status icons need to go somewhere btw
JW

Post by JW »

Brilliant. I never really realized it before, but the single color text always bothered me slightly. The two shades really make the info appear more structured and is easier on the eyes. Great idea!
frame wrote:Edit: the status icons need to go somewhere btw
He is right about this. I believe the space where the MP went is where the status bar was. Where would it go under your new scheme? May I suggest possibibly directly beneath the unit image, leaving some space between the image and the traits and attacks normally?
Hisquiter

Post by Hisquiter »

It's a little change,but is a good idea. :D
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Could you explain better the MP thing?
(i found,no longer problem.)
Great Mage Nicolas
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

•That was just a photoshop hack.
•adding the attack icons is a good idea
•i'd forgotten the status icons "slowed," "poisoned" etc. is that also what people mean by the status bar?
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
JW

Post by JW »

Eleazar wrote:•i'd forgotten the status icons "slowed," "poisoned" etc. is that also what people mean by the status bar?
Yes.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Power of attack and attack special are less important than name of attack? :o
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Tomsik wrote:Power of attack and attack special are less important than name of attack? :o
Not less important, per se, but it is information dependant on the "attack name." In other words it's only useful to know the "attack power" if you already know which attack you're looking at. (at least for the majority of units, which have multiple attacks.)

By "hierarchy" i meant to indicate not so much the relative importance of information, but the orderly arraignment of information.
Attempting Lucidity
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

I assume you mean that you need to seperate it out a bit? Otherwise it's a block of text that is hard to understand quickly?
If white was black and black was white, what would happen to zebra crossings?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

A brilliant idea, and one I'm suprised no one has thought of before.

The text all being the same, even though importance and use varies a lot, has always bugged me in the back of my mind.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm