Faction: Kedari (Arabian Nights-based)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I like the way the art for this faction is coming along!

One thing I can't help but wonder, though, is whether the holy man would look better with white and green rather than yellowish/brown and green.

What do you think, turin? Would it work?
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

I hope the Salik is a holy man....

Because I tried:
Attachments
(Although I think I failed...)
(Although I think I failed...)
kedari-salik.png (3.94 KiB) Viewed 3697 times
If white was black and black was white, what would happen to zebra crossings?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I think changing it to white would be good. I don't remember why it was brown originally.

I agree the Salik and Dervish aren't different enough. I thought I might give the Dervish (and Murshid) a staff, but decided not to because it would be too much work. I might do it after all.

It is true that the Murshid doesn't look all that monkish. But, monks are usually not warriors, whereas this guy is. I think he looks good.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

Ooops, I modified the wrong Salik. Sorry.

Hmm.. Can you post the new Salik? If I take the one from the tree, It will have no transparency. (And I can't work out how to add transparency like that in GIMP).

I tried editing the Dervish, anyway:
Attachments
(I know, I need transparency.)
(I know, I need transparency.)
kedari-dervish.png (2.1 KiB) Viewed 3643 times
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Emmanovi wrote:I tried editing the Dervish, anyway:
I like this edit. However, his garb is still brown and green in that version, not the white and green we were recently discussing.

Also, if we wanted to be utterly realistic, dervishes are known to wear a white robe with a black cape and a tall, flat-topped off-white hat with no brim. For gameplay reasons, however, I guess it makes more sense to have the same colorations for all levels of the holy man unit. And, given that green is the color of Muhammad, it makes sense to put some green on our Arabian/Turkish-inspired holy man.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

New graphics: Ghazi, Djinn

Redone graphics: Salik line

To Do: Sheik, Sultan, Imam

[edit]: Added Djinn to new graphics list
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

Temuchin Khan wrote:
Emmanovi wrote:I tried editing the Dervish, anyway:
I like this edit. However, his garb is still brown and green in that version, not the white and green we were recently discussing.

Also, if we wanted to be utterly realistic, dervishes are known to wear a white robe with a black cape and a tall, flat-topped off-white hat with no brim. For gameplay reasons, however, I guess it makes more sense to have the same colorations for all levels of the holy man unit. And, given that green is the color of Muhammad, it makes sense to put some green on our Arabian/Turkish-inspired holy man.
Oops.... Sorry. But Turin's done it for me!

Turin... The staffs look a bit blurred to me... apart from that, good work.

Oh... and what's that thing on the Djinn's head?
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

I like it looks good only the Ghazi while looking good he is a little bit vague.
Believe me if I say that than it is almost a professional Opinion :wink:
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Zephaniah

Post by Zephaniah »

just took a look at this thread, I'm very impressed with the art work. Keep it up!
pigandforks

Post by pigandforks »

looks good but dont the ifrit genie and djinn look a lot alike, a little to much.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

With the dervish... I don't think the staff looks blurred, but it could probably be bigger. I might do that. It would make it more obviously different from the salik, anyway.

I agree the ghazi needs some work. His shirt especially looks indistinct. The problem is, shading black cloth is really hard...

The thing on the djinn's head is a helmet. It could definitely look better. And, if all of the ifrit line looks similar to you... that's because they're all direct edits of each other! ;) I'll work on making them more distinct.

Anyway, thanks for all the good responses.
The World of Orbivm
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

LOVE the Spahi line. Err... ponytail for the Djinn?.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Disto

Post by Disto »

Emmanovi wrote:Ooops, I modified the wrong Salik. Sorry.

Hmm.. Can you post the new Salik? If I take the one from the tree, It will have no transparency. (And I can't work out how to add transparency like that in GIMP).

I tried editing the Dervish, anyway:
ALl you need to do is select the white around the unit, press ctrl-i (invert), cut the unit it and add it to a new slide with transparency.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Disto

Post by Disto »

Coming on nicely Turin.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Disto wrote:All you need to do is select the white around the unit, press ctrl-i (invert), cut the unit it and add it to a new slide with transparency.
Well, the shadow will not be extracted correctly if you do that.

Here is a tgzip with all the files (including the base camel image and the example tree.)
The World of Orbivm