advancement icons

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Darth Fool
Retired Developer

advancement icons

Post by Darth Fool »

Over in this topic: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=
I posted an image of a mock up of a proposal for making it more obvious both what will happen when a unit levels up, and what AMLA effects are already in effect. Now that I have my laptop out of the shop again (knock on synthetic wood) I figure this is a quick and dirty job to get me back on the wesnoth coding band-wagon that will have nice quick feedback, before getting back to AI development. comments would be welcome.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Ok, I have commited to svn trunk a patch which enables icon support indicating both possible advancements as well as advancements that have already occured. The relevant reports have been added into the dfool theme for testing and are: "unit_amla" and "unit_advancement_options".

A collage of ingame screen shots is available below. The three on the left are from real units and show how it typically will be experienced by users. Konrad shows the icon that units that can still advance normally get. the wose shows the typical AMLA tough icon that most units get when AMLAing. The necrophage has both the AMLA_TOUGH icon as well as an icon for the full heal. Note also that tool tips with the descriptions of the advancements are included, and if an icon is used more than once, then all the descriptions are part of the tool tip. So, for example, mousing over the level up icon will list all possible branches for that unit. for the advancement options, an icon is only displayed once. The AMLA icons at the top, however, do show each individual advancement that has happened (thus the two full heals on the necrophage).

The unit on the right was a custom unit designed to abuse the system. It had two level up options, and five different AMLA options, two of which used the same icon (amla_tough).
The overflow of icons is dealt with by using an ellipsis icon and appending all the tooltips that would be missed togeather into one tooltip for the ellipsis.

***Note that I have modified how reports work to deal with this overflow situation. In general, if there is more than one image in a report, and the second or later image does not fit, it will be replaced by an ellipsis, and the rest of the report will be ignored except to append the tooltips onto the ellipsis' tooltip. Currently the only place, I think, where this might happen would be if people added more status icons or made the current ones wider,
but it might be handy. The first image in a report, if it is too big for the report, will simply be scaled to fit.

I think, in principle, that this could be backported to the v1.0 branch if there is sufficient interest, as it does not effect gameplay, only the user interface.
Attachments
sample.png
sample.png (54.16 KiB) Viewed 5507 times
Beleth

Post by Beleth »

I'm liking what I'm seeing. :)
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

Why does Konrad have 80 health BTW?
If white was black and black was white, what would happen to zebra crossings?
Disto

Post by Disto »

Darth can give Konrad 80 health if he likes!
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

With WML and/or Debug mode its not problem!
Beleth

Post by Beleth »

Disto wrote:Darth can give Konrad 80 health if he likes!
Amen! :D
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

I'm just confused why he has 80/32....
If white was black and black was white, what would happen to zebra crossings?
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Obviously he must have at least 3 lives to survive the whole "becoming king" dealie.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Beleth

Post by Beleth »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:Obviously he must have at least 3 lives to survive the whole "becoming king" dealie.
Politics will kill you! ;)
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

IMHO the advancement icons could use less contract colors. They should not distract attention from the other stats... for example HP which changes much more often, and is most of the time more important for player.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Viliam wrote:IMHO the advancement icons could use less contract colors. They should not distract attention from the other stats... for example HP which changes much more often, and is most of the time more important for player.
I am in no way emotionally tied to these icons, so if you wish to make some other ones that serve the purpose, please do. Note that the icons should be 12x12.
dtw

Post by dtw »

I am confised by the icons above the HP - did you explain what they are?
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

dibblethewrecker wrote:I am confised by the icons above the HP - did you explain what they are?
Those are the advancements(not normal level ups) that have already happened. So, whenever you choose an advancement, it will go up there. Hmm... Maybe the icons should be included in the advancement selection window as well.