Default for command mode in Mac

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Minhoca

Default for command mode in Mac

Post by Minhoca »

Hi there!

It's just a small detail but it kept me from using commando mode for a logn time. (until i found the page about it here and changed the hotkey).

The default for getting the command mode in Mac is Shift + ; wich is impossible in a Mac keyboard since we don't have a ; key (we do shift +,).

So I suggest you change the default for mac.

Thanks for your attention!

*I reaally apreciate all the work the developers have put into this game, one of the most amazing games ever written for mac (and possibly others os's).*
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Sorry to tell you but it is not only a prob for mac but also for MOST keyboard layouts out there. E.g. the german, the spanish, the don't know which else-layout do not have this option. There even is a bugreport about this:
https://gna.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=3625
There are also seval other issues to the keybindings atm:
https://gna.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=4380
scott

Post by scott »

It's not a problem with the mac, it's your country's keyboard layout.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.

Post by guest »

scott: Isn't that rather arrogant? (Not that you meant it that way, probably, so no offense meant or seriously taken...) "It's your country that's so stupid as to use a faulty layout", when in fact to my knowledge most "old world" keyboards (also according to ivanovic's testimony above) have a different layout from the US one. :-)

Would it be hard to make hotkeys translatable?
scott

Post by scott »

There original post listed the reason his keyboard didn't have a standalone semicolon as the fact it was a mac:
The default for getting the command mode in Mac is Shift + ; wich is impossible in a Mac keyboard since we don't have a ; key (we do shift +,).
The correct reason here is independent of computer manufacturer. It's like saying, "I have a Dell, so I don't have a standalone semicolon key." It's not a big deal, but it deserves correction. There's no point in confusing other people who either 1. have macs or 2. have the same keyboard layout but don't have a mac. Additionally, the proposed solution, which is OS-specific, would not be fully effective.

If I were puzzled about the lack of a Euro key on my US keyboard, and you told me it's because of my country's default keyboard configuration, by listing the correct source of the issue you can better help other users who have the same problem.
"It's your country that's so stupid as to use a faulty layout"
Sorry to say so but I think this is you being touchy. None of the implication you describe here is present in my reply.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

Both of my macs have ; keys that work fine for the normal settings...
Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - Muhammed

Post by guest »

"It's your country that's so stupid as to use a faulty layout"
Sorry to say so but I think this is you being touchy. None of the implication you describe here is present in my reply.
I appreciate your correction of the original post.

Yeah, it was me being touchy. However, in textual conversation, expressions such as these can easily be misunderstood (which is why I in afterthought qualified my post with "none probably meant" etc.), whereas in verbal real-life communication the person's meaning and intended implications often come through more clearly.

Now, yes... what would be a nice / implementable way to remedy this problem?
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

There is no known universal solution due to SDL key handling, as some keyboards doesn't even have latin letters.

Rebind the key to fit your keyboard with the preference pannel.

Post by guest »

lwa wrote:There is no known universal solution due to SDL key handling, as some keyboards doesn't even have latin letters.
Good to know, thank you. Does this prevent making hotkeys translatable too?
lwa wrote:Rebind the key to fit your keyboard with the preference pannel.
I always do. It's just a minor drag that the game is shipped with an unusable key combination.
merliin

The quick fix could be..

Post by merliin »

How about making the command prompt available through the pulldown menu? This way even noobs from any country could easily access it.
I think it's a viable solution until we get GUI for "kick player" "ban player" "control <side> player" "control <side> observer" etc.

MERLiiN
scott

Post by scott »

I don't know if BWH is appropriate, but that is a good idea.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.