Trait idea: Resolute

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
specops

Trait idea: Resolute

Post by specops »

So, now that we're post 1.0, what about this trait idea? The idea is pretty much that the unit that has it can't be killed unless the killing blow was delivered when the unit had 1-4 HP (or some higher bound can be established, that can be argued about later). Any attack that would kill the unit will simply reduce its HP to 1 if it had more than 4 HP on what was supposed to be the killing blow. In most cases, this just means that this unit gets a little bit of extra HP.

Is this resolute trait possible to code into the game even?

Comments?
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Trait idea: Resolute

Post by irrevenant »

Since poison damage already works like that, I'd imagine the hooks are already there in the code.

What would be the purpose of this ability? What sort of units would you see using it?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

You might notice it is proposed as a trait, not an ability. I think that as a trait, it is a bad idea, because when a unit has low enough HP to be killed by an enemy in one blow, it is probably going to die, even if it survives one turn. Why would you want a trait that only helps the unit if it is about to die? :?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
specops

Post by specops »

If you think about it, it really isn't all that different from the extra 7 HP that resilient gives…it just gives "extra health" in a different manner. I mean, if you look at it in the right way, the seven extra HP that the resilient trait gives only comes into effect when a non-resilient unit would have 0 to -6 HP. I don't really think it's all that different.
capitol

Post by capitol »

it would also mean that the unit becomes invincible in 1 on 1 combat when defending a village.
"The memory management on the PowerPC can be used to frighten small children."
qleak

Post by qleak »

capitol wrote:it would also mean that the unit becomes invincible in 1 on 1 combat when defending a village.
I think you are misinterpreting the suggestion. This trait would make the unit
invincible to a single very powerful attack per turn while on a village.

I'm sure most of us know the really annoying units to be attacked by are the ones with many attacks for little damage (like below).

http://wesnoth.slack.it/units.cgi?page= ... tle%20Fish

I see this idea as a way of counter balancing against monsters like fire dragons. (maybe overbalancing)

http://wesnoth.slack.it/units.cgi?page= ... e%20Dragon

perhaps this would be usefull in a new unit like dragon slayer.

edit: I don't think I like the idea as a trait. As a unit specialty it is more interesting.
appleide

Post by appleide »

Agreed. It's better as an ability. For a dwarf lord maybe?
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
specops

Post by specops »

It's definitely true that this trait/ability would be best employed by a unit fighting against big damage units. I just see it as a helpful way to keep your level 1 units alive a little longer, some of the time. It's really not all that different from resilient.
Minhoca

Post by Minhoca »

That's a nice idea but it would be incompatible with the berserk trait (fight until death).
specops

Post by specops »

No it wouldn't. The unit may be killed provided that it has been critically damaged (1-3 HP, or so). Say for example, that a traitless Berserker hits a resolute Archer with 5 HP. Under most circumstances, the Archer would be dead. However, because the Archer is resolute, that blow reduces its health to 1 HP. On the next blow, because the Archer is critically wounded, the Beserker can kill it. By contrast, if the Archer had only 3 HP when the initial attack came, it would die on the first successful blow.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

specops wrote:No it wouldn't. The unit may be killed provided that it has been critically damaged (1-3 HP, or so).
Wouldn't it be more intuitive to say that "critically damaged" = 1 hp left, given this is where he's left after receiving a mighty blow?