The high elves

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

quartex wrote:
Temuchin Khan wrote:1.0 has been released. When can we look forward to the completion of the High Elves?
When Jetryl gets the time to finish them. He's been working on a hundred other projects to get wesnoth ready for 1.0. I bet he deserves a rest as well. The High Elves will be done eventually, but I doubt it will be anytime soon. Of course, I don't know any more than you do, but that's my impression from the forums.
Yeah, I don't want to pressure him -- just let him know that his idea is much appreciated. Long live the High Elves!

But yes, he certainly has earned a rest! So please, Jetryl, don't take my comments as a spur or a prod, only as enthusiasm and support.
nonobots

Post by nonobots »

quartex wrote:
Temuchin Khan wrote:1.0 has been released. When can we look forward to the completion of the High Elves?
When Jetryl gets the time to finish them. He's been working on a hundred other projects to get wesnoth ready for 1.0. I bet he deserves a rest as well. The High Elves will be done eventually, but I doubt it will be anytime soon. Of course, I don't know any more than you do, but that's my impression from the forums.
We should have a sticky with what's on Jetryl's table... :P
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

nonobots wrote:
quartex wrote: When Jetryl gets the time to finish them. He's been working on a hundred other projects to get wesnoth ready for 1.0. I bet he deserves a rest as well. The High Elves will be done eventually, but I doubt it will be anytime soon. Of course, I don't know any more than you do, but that's my impression from the forums.
We should have a sticky with what's on Jetryl's table... :P
That would be a long, long sticky, you know... (believe me, I've checked - I've made those lists several times.) :)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

And then, Jetryl actually got some free time.

It's interesting; after being away from any heavy sprite work for about a month, and doing a lot of drawing in the meantime, I've found that my spriting style has actually changed, somewhat.

I'm trying to move into more of what I'm best at, and what I only recently started using more heavily. Sub Pixel. =) Painting rather than pixeling, and trying to really take advantage of our not requiring edges. I'm also trying to learn a bit from the recent advances over in wayfarer-ville, although you can't really see much of it in these. (I'll try and have some fun with capes when these fellows move, though).

Right now, what I'm really working on more than everything else is upgrading the old versions of these to my top quality. There is one new unit in this batch; the Shieldsman.

As for future work:
The new L1 for the for sylph line (the line will be bumped down a level) is going to be distinctly different from both the shaman and the current sorceress (which will be replaced by it, though not in the 1.0 branch).

The horseman line needs to get the same love I gave to the human horsemen, which of course is going to take time. After the stunt I pulled with the grand knight, I've backed myself into a corner since I need the High Elven Grand Knight to look even more grand... XP

Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Yeah dead to outlines!!!

That look very nice I'm looking forward to the finished result.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Awesome-looking. Now, I'm unclear as to what the unit-line itself is supposed to be... but they still look great. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
dtw

Post by dtw »

I know this is way early days but the helmet on the shield dude looks like a straight rip from kalenz or a mermen - I can see why you are going but it kind of looks tacked on at the moment...like the angle is not quite right... but what do I know! :)
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Doros

Post by Doros »

Jetryl wrote:And then, Jetryl actually got some free time.
Just posting to say that I cannot figure out how you put so much detail into such small images. I've been playing 2D, sprite-based games all my life (mostly SNES; I find most 3D games disappointing), and these look better to me than any of the other sprites I've seen. Keep up the great work!
nonobots

Post by nonobots »

Doros wrote:Just posting to say that I cannot figure out how you put so much detail into such small images. I've been playing 2D, sprite-based games all my life (mostly SNES; I find most 3D games disappointing), and these look better to me than any of the other sprites I've seen. Keep up the great work!
The resolution is higher.

Meaning the pixels are a lot smaller on a 1024x768 resolution on a medium-sized monitor than they were on a TV with a SNES. this means the sprites can be a lot more detailed.

I can't wait anymore! I want to play with those nice and shiny new elves!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

nonobots wrote:
Doros wrote:Just posting to say that I cannot figure out how you put so much detail into such small images. I've been playing 2D, sprite-based games all my life (mostly SNES; I find most 3D games disappointing), and these look better to me than any of the other sprites I've seen. Keep up the great work!
The resolution is higher.

Meaning the pixels are a lot smaller on a 1024x768 resolution on a medium-sized monitor than they were on a TV with a SNES. this means the sprites can be a lot more detailed.
Not exactly - we also use much more complicated transparency (eg - we actually have transparency). In addition, we use a full 32-bit color set.

I've done a little montage showing what sprites from Chrono Trigger and Ogre Battle look like, in their native resolution, compared to our own. One pixel in SNES land equalling one pixel in computer land.

Our sprites are somewhat bigger than those of chrono trigger; and about the same size as the ogre battle ones. However, the choice of colors, the pallette depth, and the transparency combine for a rather different effect.

- Anyways, I've also finished up one additional unit, which you can see here; the "Elvish Sorceress".

I'm not going to be able to make much progress over the next weekend, seeing as how I have a physics test looming over my head, and in any event, I should be working on magic effects for wayfarer's new dark adept line.

Image Image
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Jetryl wrote:After the stunt I pulled with the grand knight, I've backed myself into a corner since I need the High Elven Grand Knight to look even more grand...
Some thoughts on this:

1) Maybe he could have a banner tied to his back, like a samurai.

2) Maybe he could have a flag tied to his lance.

3) Maybe he could be surrounded by a white aura, like the Mage of Light, regardless of whether he actually gains illuminates. Maybe all third level High Elves should have auras!

4) I honestly think you're demanding too much of yourself. The High Elf Grand Knight looks beautiful as it is. Maybe he thinks he doesn't need as much "bling" as the Human Grand Knight. Maybe he thinks his cool gravitas is enough to make his point. In fact, I think I like the current High Elf Grand Knight better than the improved Human Grand Knight. You got it right the first time! If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Well, the High Elves look as beautiful as ever. And I love the shieldsman, although I can understand the concerns some of the others had about his helmet. Nice work!
dtw

Post by dtw »

Glad I'm not the only one! I wouldn't like to fight in it - looks like a peripheral vision nightmare :)

[whisper]Jetryl - I know you liked the sleep idea propsed the other day - can you use your influence to get it code and give it to your sorceress line? Or maybe even the Shydes rather than slow?[/whisper]
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

dibblethewrecker wrote:Glad I'm not the only one! I wouldn't like to fight in it - looks like a peripheral vision nightmare :)
But great for guarding the sides of the face when you're in a shield-line, which is precisely what those fellows are for. These are the only units "in" the game that would do what the Lavinian Legionaries do, better than the Lavinian Legionaries do.

When a group of high elves form a shield line on open ground, they are comparable in power to a line of dwarven sentinels (though with their power spread more evenly between offense and defense; hence leaving the dwarves better at defense). They are one of the elder races, and the constituent troops are bloody expensive, but a group of these in full formation should be something that forces any player to take notice.

These would be candidates for any *grouping* effects, just like the Lavinians.
dibblethewrecker wrote:[whisper]Jetryl - I know you liked the sleep idea propsed the other day - can you use your influence to get it code and give it to your sorceress line? Or maybe even the Shydes rather than slow?[/whisper]
Said influence would now be "coding the thing myself". I need to get some practice. Frankly, it ain't gonna be easy, and the units themselves will likely be in the game before I add that in, but hey - it'd be good for me.

Keep in mind that this is entirely subject to a veto from Dave.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Another new unit - this being the fellow on the lower right. This is the level-2 archer.

I had to develop a new face for this guy, because I'm frankly not so happy with the face that's been used on Kalenz and the Wood Elven Sharpshooters.

The symbolic "two white pixels next to two black pixels" used for eyes is only vaguely suggestive of an eye - really it's the two patches of darkness on the face that do the job for it - the white just makes the face look ... blocky. Since we're not running on an SNES, we can hopefully do better - SNES games used the above method because they had to use a very small color table, and it at least worked, if not well.

Hopefully it came out alright; heaven knows I spent long enough tweaking the damn thing (2+ hours). This is something that may well propagate to other units in this game, so I figured I'd get it right the first time.

Disto

Post by Disto »

These are looking great, now that you've said that you are going to redraw the horse units (personally i feel is not nessecary, can only see them getting some brighter highlights like the other high elves.) i can't wait to see them when they are done.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth