Neorice's Unit Thread! (I need attention; you can give!!)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Neorice's Unit Thread! (I need attention; you can give!!)

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I was bored, and I decided that if the Wesnothian developers won't include my units, I'll just make it so that other people can get them for cheap,

in this thread I shall post all units I made that just didn't make the cut, or that I have designed after 1.orc got released;

just for your amusement I shall make all units in here fully animated, with working transparency, working stats and everything!

all you have to do is put the images in the image folder, and put the unit.cfg file in the data/unit folder; after that you just edit the unit into an era or campaign (It's smart to make an extra era for them, so you don't screw up Multiplayer I might add!) and see for yourself what it's like.

To start my thread off I'll do it with one of the stronger units you'll see in this thread;

The Grand Overlord;

See this guy as the Grand General, exception three times as good in every aspect; I myself managed to stand ground against an 1k army of level 3 loyalist units for 19 turns before they finally managed to take me down; I may note that this is aproximate 17 turns of constant combat from each direction without having support units or healing (including village healing!) if that isn't a godly unit, I don't know what is!

I'd like it if you guys left comments for improvement or just telling how kickass the units are;

(One small error, the cfg file is still in .txt filetype; just save it with ".cfg" at the end and it'll work.
Attachments
Grand_Overlord_Wesnoth.zip
version 0.2 I made him slightly weaker, fixed the fact that I screwed up his defences and made his file an actual .cfg file.
(48.9 KiB) Downloaded 1491 times
Last edited by Neoriceisgood on October 24th, 2005, 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
unsung

Re: Neorice's Unit Thread! (you love me)

Post by unsung »

Neoriceisgood wrote:I was bored, and I decided that if the Wesnothian developers won't include my units, I'll just make it so that other people can get them for cheap,

in this thread I shall post all units I made that just didn't make the cut, or that I have designed after 1.orc got released;

just for your amusement I shall make all units in here fully animated, with working transparency, working stats and everything!

all you have to do is put the images in the image folder, and put the unit.cfg file in the data/unit folder; after that you just edit the unit into an era or campaign (It's smart to make an extra era for them, so you don't screw up Multiplayer I might add!) and see for yourself what it's like.

To start my thread off I'll do it with one of the stronger units you'll see in this thread;

The Grand Overlord;

See this guy as the Grand General, exception three times as good in every aspect; I myself managed to stand ground against an 1k army of level 3 loyalist units for 19 turns before they finally managed to take me down; I may note that this is aproximate 17 turns of constant combat from each direction without having support units or healing (including village healing!) if that isn't a godly unit, I don't know what is!

I'd like it if you guys left comments for improvement or just telling how kickass the units are;

(One small error, the cfg file is still in .txt filetype; just save it with ".cfg" at the end and it'll work.
:shock:
now I need to see how I can beat it with no losses....
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

He is a little bit bulky but thats personal taste but the animations are cool especially the dieing frames.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

You mean on first glance, or you actually managed to kill him?
scott

Post by scott »

Less talk, more units.

To kick things off, I'm moving this to art.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
unsung

Post by unsung »

no, I mean I need to find a way.

If I can figth him with the lavinians, I'll have a way sometime soon, depending on when I have time.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:) Nice. In fact - awesome.

Campaign designers will love this to death.
szopen

Post by szopen »

Yes, they will ;)
wisdomless

Post by wisdomless »

I like this unit... It's sweet. And I'm really glad that this isn't an "evil" unit. I think we see (in commercial games anyway) the evil units emphsized FAR more than your standard good guy type. Although... With his heavyset frame all you'd need to do is darken his armor and complexion and presto! Immortal Overlord! King of the Legions of Darkness! But lo and behold, here comes the Grand Overlord, slayer of all things evil! (Feirce battle ensues)
If stupidity got me into this, it should get me out.

Most pointless statement of the year award goes to me!
"People are lazy unless they care."
I'd like to thank unsung for this award... and all the people who helped make this possible...
wisdomless

Re: Neorice's Unit Thread! (you love me)

Post by wisdomless »

Neoriceisgood wrote:I was bored, and I decided that if the Wesnothian developers won't include my units, I'll just make it so that other people can get them for cheap,

So this means you'll be putting more units out, right?
:mrgreen:
I can't wait.
:mrgreen:

I'd like to thank unsung for this award... and all the people who helped make this possible...
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

He can be evil if you want.

UNIT TWO;

Alright I felt inspired so animated another unit I had designs for; this guy is a possible advancement for the Inferno Drake, the very first level 4 drake! wooh;

Presenting the Armageddon Drake, though stat wise he's not as impressive as the Grand Overlord I may note that he's the first unit (that I know of at least) with a practical immumity to a certain element (It's not possible to do more than 1 damage with fire attacks against this guy :D) And a ranged attack that'll make any unit fear you. (With the exception of drakes, but hey; using a fire based race against this guy is useless anyway.) I've playtested it a bit, with proper melee tactics he can be shot down pretty fast, however on ranged attack he owns lots of things with ease.
Attachments
Armageddon_Drake_Wesnoth.zip
Armageddon Drake 0.1; I hope you braught your BBQ sauce, because this'll be one heck of a barbeque!
(62.86 KiB) Downloaded 1334 times
wisdomless

Post by wisdomless »

First to download it!

------------------------
edit
------------------------

That's quite the unit there... Uh, I don't think "he owns at range" is the right way to say it...

Polaris

Post by Polaris »

I like the Armageddon Drake... Good job! However, the 2 melee attack frames could be improved (have a look to the attacking arm)...

However, it __deserves__ space in Wesnoth!
Standing With So Cold A Heart... Watching The Death Of The Sun...
Drake Pillager
Location: Everywhere you imagine, nowhere you can possibly think.

Post by Drake Pillager »

Awesome a new drake!
I am the king.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

8)

• Melee: Arm movement is great, but the legs are entirely static. Easy for me to fix, though, so no problem.

• Ranged: Lighting effects = mad props. *very* nice.

• Death animation: Just ... wow. I hope to see more like this for the other drakes, especially the fire-breathers. so cool for that matter - anyone else can try their hand since it's a simple downward motion combined with a color change and some burning effects.

Really, I think it would just look cool if all the drakes burned to ashes when they die.

Also, personally, now that this fellow is well-animated (hint, hint), and given that he has a good and sensible place in the game hierarchy, I'm quite in favor of adding him in, post 1.0. Drakes are an elder race - saurians, for example, do not deserve a level-4, but I could easily see a drake becoming singularily powerful enough to merit one.