1 thing wich keeps people with game longer

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MuNieK

1 thing wich keeps people with game longer

Post by MuNieK »

Some time ago, i noticed one thing... Only one kind of games can keep players much longer then others... its role playing... And i saw several experiments to even mix fps with role playing... and they did it - they made a fps with money and experience to earn. You gained levels and buy new armors, weapons etc... And same with strategies. For example: Warcraft III's battlenet - Majority of W3 players stayed there from one most important reason... they want to have higher rank and new avatar image etc...
Anyway when u play computer games too much - u losing your precious time, but..... when u playing games with some role playing systems, after finish playing you can always say: "yeah, today i made it - i gained higher rank! Dont stop! lets play another one!". But if u play games without role playing u have nothing to come back for. I hope to make experience or rank system it is not so difficult and we could see some soon.
Thats really nice becouse when u r closing wesnoth after long cool game - and in example u won, u r happy and then u see how much time u lost and made nothing (even u dont have any stats) - it makes you dont want to play again so much.

And that would make more ppl think twice before they will leave game after 4 minutes of playing >.< (I hate this kind of players)
It must have been cold there in my shadow,
to never have sunlight in your face.
You were content to let me shine
You always walked a step behind.
Academicus

Post by Academicus »

That's a bit evil but I would love a rank system.
Now, about you, you should work with the some of the child adcters game makers around, like ultima online. Definatly consider marketing and advertisement to your career. Not much because of what you said, but how you said it.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I.

Hate.

Stats.
---

That's just my personal opinion, though...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
MuNieK

Post by MuNieK »

Academicus wrote:Not much because of what you said, but how you said it.
Im not sure that i understnd u well... you know my english its only self-learned english so im doing many gramma and syntrax errors, sorry about that, im trying my best, and i hope your post wasnt a bad sarcasm.
It must have been cold there in my shadow,
to never have sunlight in your face.
You were content to let me shine
You always walked a step behind.
Zilo

Post by Zilo »

yes i would also love rank level:)
Ain't ain't formal....Who cares?
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

turin wrote:I.

Hate.

Stats.
It's a mark of how much you hate them that you didn't complain about the horrible atrocity of using "u" every other word.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

No stats in Wesnoth MP!
*prepares spell "make-it-pink" and takes M60 machine gun*
Who want to stats?

P.S.: Please dont use 'u' instead of "you".
Terpor

Remember Warlords?

Post by Terpor »

This has been done before, and with a terrible outcome. Do any of you remember the Warlords series? That was one of the most successful strategy game series ever, and I think, in several ways, Wesnoth is very similar to it. Then, after much expectation, Warlords IV arrived, with a system for keeping something like levels or ranks online. The result was a complete failure.

Do you want some rank system to know who are you playing against? Just make several rooms in the lobbyes (this will make sense when there will be more people on them) and call them Expert, Normal and Beginner. That's all it takes to allow players know where to play.
scott

Post by scott »

Keeping people with the game longer is not a goal of this project.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Tomsik

Re: Remember Warlords?

Post by Tomsik »

Terpor wrote:Just make several rooms in the lobbyes (this will make sense when there will be more people on them) and call them Expert, Normal and Beginner.
Its bad idea IHMO, it will cause players segregation.
I(i think some others too) dont want it.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I think different rooms are a good idea. Based on time zones, or something... right now it is hard to plan a game in the lobby, in my experience.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Re: Remember Warlords?

Post by Yogibear »

tomsik wrote:
Terpor wrote:Just make several rooms in the lobbyes (this will make sense when there will be more people on them) and call them Expert, Normal and Beginner.
Its bad idea IHMO, it will cause players segregation.
I(i think some others too) dont want it.
Yes, you are right, it will cause segregation. On the other hand, sometimes experienced persons just don't want to play with newbies. Not because they think they are something special but for other reasons. And they might loose a lot of time finding the right partners to do so (or even worse quit in the middle of a game because it doesn't fulfill their needs). According to my experiences this happens quite often right now.

After all, nobody prevents us from having a room "Everyone welcome".
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

From my experience i know in wesnoth good/experienced players dont have problems with seeking for players to play, they know who are nice/good (or whatever) enoguh and who arent.
Terpor

Post by Terpor »

Ok, ok. Forget about beginners room, expert room, etc. The points is to have rooms. They could be:
Main Lobby
Duels room (just 1v1)
Imperial age room
etc...

And some for languages other than english would be great too.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Re: 1 thing wich keeps people with game longer

Post by Kestenvarn »

MuNieK wrote:Only one kind of games can keep players much longer then others...
Another thing that makes games last longer is the ability for players to modify them.

Hey, look! They have that...