Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
yobbo
Art Contributor

swamp tiles

Post by yobbo »

Hmm, I've been playing Wesnoth for a while, and one of the things I don't quite agree with is the representation of swamp. It seems to be used a lot as the undead's home terrain, but it doesn't look like something you could imagine corpses decomposing in.

So I did some quick sketching.

Comments? Encouragement? Discouragement?
Attachments
swamp tile comparison
swamp tile comparison
compare.jpg (83.35 KiB) Viewed 5679 times
swampwater-tiles.tar.gz
swamp tiles
(39.77 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

Yeah, your swamp looks better. However you need to add some details like reeds etc.
flammifer

Post by flammifer »

Looks good ! Would it blend well wit water tiles, though ?

Maybe a few specks of green life (reeds, water lilies, etc.) here and there wouldn't hurt ? The bubbles here and there are a good touch.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Yeah, the swamp is one of the terrain tiles in need of replacement.

Your version is promising. Some comments:

- as the previous posters has mentions: some more details like reeds would be good
- I find it a bit dark and bland. Maybe add some more shades in the bg, maybe a touch of blue here and there.
- The transition tiles doesn't have the same bg color as the tiles, they are grey and thus you see the hex outlines.

Otherwise it looks good, and more evil :wink:

If you need any WML help for adding more variants and such just ask.

I tested it against some other terrain and it mostly looks good, except when next to grassland|savanna->water. But don't worry about that, I'll fix it with changing some WML transition stuff.
scott

Post by scott »

Rochester is built on a swamp. When out enjoying nature I often find myself near a swamp or once (disastrously) in the swamp :) . I found some pictures of how swamps look near us. Usually it's just standing muddy water with a lot of grass and bushes. It doesn't get a lot of algae unless it's polluted or very stagnant. I suggest trying to focus more on the tall grass or bushes. you can use the transitions to make it look like the unit is wading through shoulder-high grass, which is what you remember when you are stuck in the swamp. That and getting wet, but these guys go into shallow water all the time... so I assume they don't mind. Getting the water color right is good so it blends in, but my personal opinion is that without more flora it just won't ever look quite right.

There are a lot of different manifestations of swamp, from water so deep you can use a boat, like in Florida, to muddy ground you can walk on safely.

The boardwalk is above the swamp. That grass is all in standing water, and if you were down there you would be too.

Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
breversa

Post by breversa »

Off-topic : Yobbo, what is the red unit at the botton of your first pictures ?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

breversa wrote:Off-topic : Yobbo, what is the red unit at the botton of your first pictures ?
It's a really old version of the Red Mage... I'm not sure what he's using it for there, though.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I think it's the swamp scenario from Delfador's Memoirs. Delfador looks like that at level 2.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
breversa

Post by breversa »

Thank you guys. :)
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Anyway, the swamps we have now are, IMHO, the worst tile of Wesnoth. So any other would be good!
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Even worse than the ice tiles?
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

Since the edited version is better, it should be included in 1.0. Even if both of them are bad(which isn't true).
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Neoriceisgood wrote:Even worse than the ice tiles?
Yes. The ice tiles are not that bad, anyway... Better than the previous ones.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Tux2B wrote:Yes. The ice tiles are not that bad, anyway... Better than the previous ones.
The ice tiles don't look like ice, just bluer snow.

PS: I refuse to read green, bold text. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

scott wrote:There are a lot of different manifestations of swamp, from water so deep you can use a boat, like in Florida, to muddy ground you can walk on safely.
Yes, and some of those manifestations, in some parts of the world, do include reeds and rushes. No?