List system requirements in manual

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:

List system requirements in manual

Post by Guest »

I had trouble finding whether my OS and hardware is supported. I looked in the wiki, the manual, and finally found it listed in a poll in the forums asking what people are using.

(Yes, mine is supported nicely. Still don't know about my brother's ancient machine.)

I suggest listing the OS's (including which version, such as XP or 2000) and recommended drive space, system speed, etc. on the Download page, also in Getting Started or FAQ. Not guarantees, but enough details that we know if we're in the gray area.

blankreg@onebit.ca
pacho

Off-Topic

Post by pacho »

Anonymous wrote: blankreg@onebit.ca
For post your email address you can visit Profile (http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/profile.ph ... ditprofile) and go to Preferences section where you will be able to say "yes" in "Always show my e-mail address:"

;)
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Tomsik

Re: Off-Topic

Post by Tomsik »

can you say wich OS exactly do you use?(and hardware if possible)

pacho wrote:
Anonymous wrote: blankreg@onebit.ca
For post your email address you can visit Profile (http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/profile.ph ... ditprofile) and go to Preferences section where you will be able to say "yes" in "Always show my e-mail address:"

;)
ehm... he isnt regristred, he cant change profile
pacho

Re: Off-Topic

Post by pacho »

tomsik wrote:can you say wich OS exactly do you use?(and hardware if possible)

pacho wrote: For post your email address you can visit Profile (http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/profile.ph ... ditprofile) and go to Preferences section where you will be able to say "yes" in "Always show my e-mail address:"

;)
ehm... he isnt regristred, he cant change profile
Sorry, I thought that anybody must be registered for post messages :oops:
Signature dropped due to use of img tag

Post by Guest »

We really don't know the system requirements. The developers use a wide range of machines, up to about 4 years old. You are welcome to open a new topic at the wiki or the forums, asking people to list their "low end" machines which still work OK for the game, or which can't handle BfW.

I have no problems with a 192MB RAM, 600MHz x86 laptop running Ubuntu Linux, but some people have reported unacceptable performance or crashes with 128MB RAM and CPU speeds lower than 300MHz.

-- ott
palloco

Post by palloco »

I had run it on a 486 dx4 75mhz 16 mb RAM under w98se. But it was so slow that you could take a coffee while it scrolling through a whole map.
It runs fine on my K6-III 400 Mhz, 256 RAM under w98SE and it runs even better under Linux.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

palloco wrote:I had run it on a 486 dx4 75mhz 16 mb RAM under w98se.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Post by Guest »

I'm running it on a P2-300 under Win98. It runs slow, but is playable.

i.e. You could probably go as low as P2-300 for minimum spec., but recommended spec. should be higher.

Does Wesnoth have the equivalent of an FPS framerate measurer anywhere? Presumably there's a 'reasonable' time it should take for a unit to move or think...
scott

Post by scott »

the command "wesnoth.exe --fps" might do the trick. An equivalent command under linux/mac enables an fps display.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.

Post by Guest »

On a P2-300 (Win98SE), I pull 42 fps when nothing's happening, 20-25 fps during unit action (recruiting, movement, etc.), but it drops to 2-4fps when scrolling about the map (including unit movement that requires scrolling).

Even though I've seen commercial games perform that badly at minspec, a more reasonable minspec is probably something like a P2-450, with a higher recommended.

I also have an AMD Athlon 700 under which Wesnoth runs swimmingly (both under Windows and Linux), so I'm guessing that something like:

Minimum Spec: PII-450
Recommended Spec: PIII-600

would be reasonably accurate.
palloco

Post by palloco »

Well, you can say that 20 fps is bad on an action game, but not on a turns based strategy game. On my K6-III I get around 50, 40 and 13 fps under your conditions, so I would say a minimum of K6-2 300 Mhz, 96Mb RAM and 8Mb video card, and recommended Athlon or P3 to play.

Post by Guest »

I'm playing it on a G3 500Mhz iBook with 10.4.2 installed and 640MB Ram.
Not a speed demon but it definitely beats rebooting into 9.2 just to be able to play Diablo2.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Anonymous wrote:I'm playing it on a G3 500Mhz iBook with 10.4.2 installed and 640MB Ram.
Not a speed demon
You could also try running your screen at its optimal bit depth (16 bit "thousands" or 24/32 bit "millions") and making sure Battle for Wesnoth is using that depth when it starts up. The commandline Mac OS X build does try to use the optimal bit depth, not sure what Sithrandel's and iwa's builds do. You could also force the game to use a given bit depth by specifying the --bpp commandline option when starting it.
but it definitely beats rebooting into 9.2 just to be able to play Diablo2.
I thought D2 was supported on OS X? See http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=mdt0488p
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
peet

Post by peet »

IT RUNS! Muahahahaha!

That is, version 1.3.9, on my old Toshiba Sattelite 310CDS.
P1 MMX 200mhz with 32 MB ram and 2 MB dedicated to on board video. The OS is Windows 95.

Had to download ws2_32.dll and ws2help.dll to make it work.

It's slower than turtle sex, but it runs. Loading a campaign (I tried Orcish Incursion) took several minutes, long enough that I thought it had hung. Once the campaign starts everything is agonizingly slow; it takes several seconds for your recruited unit to appear, for example. It's slow enough that it's virtually unplayable... but it does run.

Also, the minimap in the top right corner showed no terrain, only units on a black background.

Peet
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

If that's the case, we could at least do testing to see what's the recommended system requirements (i.e. estimated minimum for it actually to be playable, not frustrating)...