New attack buttons - scratchpad

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

pekka wrote: My laptop's monitor is unfortunately too sharp and too bright for drawing finishing pictures easily. Thats the reason why the keep/castle also took so long to finish.. :(
You could always buy some really cheap crt to use for finishing images and link it to your laptop when necessary...

And, all of those new attack icons look terrific. If they're coming this fast at this level of quality, it won't take long until the interface really looks great.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Ankka wrote: You could always buy some really cheap crt to use for finishing images and link it to your laptop when necessary...
I can't quite see how buying a cheap and then probably quite low-quality monitor would help much, I would rather say he needs a high-quality LCD monitor.
Leonhard
Art Contributor

Post by Leonhard »

My laptop's monitor is unfortunately too sharp and too bright for drawing finishing pictures easily. Thats the reason why the keep/castle also took so long to finish.. Sad
I've got the same problem :), you can maybe try to incline your screen a lot, sometimes it helps me when I work with very low opacity. Don't know if it will help...
Leonhard
Art Contributor

Post by Leonhard »

Don't you have a big_icon.zip this time? I download all your work :D
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

frame wrote:
Ankka wrote: You could always buy some really cheap crt to use for finishing images and link it to your laptop when necessary...
I can't quite see how buying a cheap and then probably quite low-quality monitor would help much, I would rather say he needs a high-quality LCD monitor.
But I would suppose the laptop has one, since it's so bright.

Well, yeah, on second thought I'm not sure really... I have heard people say CRT's are better for photograph editing. IMHO a good LCD is a lot better though, for about anything.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Is the plan to not put these in-game until we have a complete set?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Gee...our artists, particularly Jetryl, never cease to amaze me in their ability to take something that I think is already perfectly 'fine' and progress it to being outstanding. :)

Great work. I'm fine with these going into SVN as soon as someone wants to commit them.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Great work. I think the hatchet should get a bit more "shiny" to match the rest of the metal ones.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Flip the weapon images horizantally of the unit on the right of the attack dialog.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

I've done some sketches of bow icon, which has an arrow ready to be shoot and part of a hand. The angle is same as with the another weapon icons. Anatomically I'm quite satisfied of it. Unfortunately I can't send it now, because it is in my laptop.

It differs a lot from the Jetryl's bow composition, but has the same angle as the other weapon icons. Maybe we should compare these bow icons and compose the best possible version before continuing?

EDIT: Aww, Jetryl... you messed my engravings from the battle axe. :(

Leonhard, the mace is brilliant!
Leonhard
Art Contributor

Post by Leonhard »

Actually, if anybody wants some 3D sketch (it can be really useful for perspective, which I find is sometimes rather tricky), just ask. Please don't ask for any human part, not even a hand : I don't know at all how to do it.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Leonhard,
Actually the same thing came in to my mind yesterday. :) The most time consuming thing for me is finding the right angle. We might produce high quality stuff in very short time, I think.
Leonhard
Art Contributor

Post by Leonhard »

Next step : a three minutes long trailer for Wesnoth, cinematographic quality! :D . If you need a sketch of any weapon, just ask, I'll see what I can do.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Flip the weapon images horizantally of the unit on the right of the attack dialog.
Sounds a good idea to me.
If all icons are made for the left player, i'll make sure the engine flips the icons on the right.

PS :
I would really love a Shield attack icon.
It is not used by standard units but a few contributed units use this :
- some Lavinian units (Roman style units with a tower shield)
- the Assault Commander in the South Guard Campaign
- a few units in the faction i'm slowly making (Amazons guards, with a large tower shield too)
- probably others
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

May I join?

A nice alternation for me.
Last edited by wayfarer on February 15th, 2006, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.