Unit graphix problem...plz help!

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Dragon Master

Unit graphix problem...plz help!

Post by Dragon Master »

Hi, im new to making my own units and ive recently made some graphics. But when i play them in game, the unit appears with a white or black backround. can anyone tell me how i fix this?
thanks
Steelclad Brian

Re: Unit graphix problem...plz help!

Post by Steelclad Brian »

Dragon Master wrote:Hi, im new to making my own units and ive recently made some graphics. But when i play them in game, the unit appears with a white or black backround. can anyone tell me how i fix this?
thanks
You need to change the image's alpha channel so that the background is transparent. How you do that would differ from program to program, but you should be able to find out how to set transparency in the program's manual.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

thnx for the help. ill keep that in mind for the future
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

oh, wait. damn this munual doesn't help at all. could sum1 please tell me how i make the backround transparent in paint?
scott

Post by scott »

Dragon Master wrote:sum1
Please, write "someone."

Paint cannot create images with transparency. Try searching for the GIMP. It's a lot more complex than Paint, but it's free and can do what you want it to do.

You should be able to create a new image that's 72x72 with a transparent background (check in advanced options in the new image dialog box). Then you can open the current image, cut the part you want, and paste it into the new image.

There's also a way to add the transparency (an alpha channel) to the current image. I think the option is under Layer > Mask, but I'm not sure. Once you add the alpha channel, select all the white background with the magic wand (threshold set to 0), then cut it.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Dragon Master wrote:oh, wait. damn this munual doesn't help at all. could sum1 please tell me how i make the backround transparent in paint?
IIRC it's not possible in paint.
See our tutorials and information about sprite art.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Or you could just post your images, and if someone with a more complicated art program thinks it would be worth their time to add the transparency, they can do it for you.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

thanks everybody. your comments have really helped
methinks

Post by methinks »

Hi pals. I think GraphicsGale which has its freeware version can set transparency. It's fairly basic comapring to Gimp too.

Check it out:

http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/
-Adam