Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Elf Portrait art thread: Archer by Ranger M

Post by Thrawn »

I'm starting to draw elves, but I can't tell what the fighter line is wearing. It looks like armour, with the pads at knees and all, but its green. Am I percieving wrong, do elves just fashion green armour, or is it some sort of leather armour?
Last edited by Thrawn on May 23rd, 2006, 12:36 am, edited 7 times in total.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Jetrel

Re: elvish clothing question

Post by Jetrel »

Thrawn wrote:I'm starting to draw elves, but I can't tell what the fighter line is wearing. It looks like armour, with the pads at knees and all, but its green. Am I percieving wrong, do elves just fashion green armour, or is it some sort of leather armour?
Basically, their armor is a mix of metal and leather, but is painted/dyed green, brown, and grey, for purposes of camouflage.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

thanks!

this is an elf I started, but again not complete(it was on the same floppy as the other picture, and I just found the disk).

any comments?
and suggestions on how to fix the shield.
Attachments
galdrad-portrait.png
galdrad-portrait.png (21.8 KiB) Viewed 7532 times
Last edited by Thrawn on January 26th, 2006, 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

He looks a little bit like a woman to me. Maybe because his shoulders appear to have approximately the size of his hips. Nice picture, though :) .
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Very much based on the sprite, eh? :wink:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Yeah make him buffer, I like it, but you should remove some of the white out of his face.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I made hips thinner, retried the hand with the sword.

I don't see white in the face (do oyu mean the highlights?)
and I was wondering--how close to actual sprite does the portrait have to be?

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Thrawn wrote:how close to actual sprite does the portrait have to be?
Not very close at all. In fact, it's best not to base the portrait on the sprite, except insofar as equipment (like, don't give an Iron Mauler a broad axe :P)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Thrawn wrote:how close to actual sprite does the portrait have to be?

Not very close at all. In fact, it's best not to base the portrait on the sprite, except insofar as equipment (like, don't give an Iron Mauler a broad axe :P)
much better--I'll continue him the way it is, but for others!!!! :twisted:

jonadab

Post by jonadab »

Thrawn wrote:and suggestions on how to fix the shield.
Is it just me, or do the edges of it look a bit lumpy? Perhaps smoother?

Or was it intended to be a leather shield? In that case, something to show that, like, I don't know, buckles or stitching or rivets? Just tossing out some ideas here.

At the lower end, his stance could stand some adjustment, I think. One could be excused for getting the idea that he's crossing his legs, which I think is not what you intended to convey for Galdrad.

And, obviously, the sword would need to be filled in...

And if you fix those things, someone like Jetryl will point out flaws I didn't notice ;-)
toms

Post by toms »

Elvish sword style is much subjective, but this was really never my idea of one. I would like to see it changed.

Keep on, Thrawn! Good portraits are always needed :D
Especially now, where we just have finally enough orc portraits, thanks pickslide. :wink: :D
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Leonhard
Art Contributor

Post by Leonhard »

Hi Thrawn! Nice portrait for the moment :wink:, I don't really have constructive comments on how to fix the shield itself, but what I can't figure out is where is the arm behind. IMHO, the shield should not be here, or, if it has to be here, it should be luch larger. I maybe mistaken, what do other people think? I also think the legs should be far from each other, to make the position dynamic (like he's not just standing here watching the birds). The head is inclined, which is maybe something you wanted, but I find it a bit weird, like he's posing for a photo, or something like that. I also think the chin could be more pronounced, the nose a bit shorter, and the tip of his left ear (which is on the right on the screen :P ) should be a bit more behind, and there should be a bit of hair going in front of it. Any comments ? :D
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Thing to Do
fix legs
make sword more ornate--Toms, some what would you suggest?
make hair go in front of ears
make shield outline smaller

notes
*the long nose is intentional--my idea of elvish nose, so that won't be changing.
*the arm behing shield seems right to me-the unfilled in thing is the hand, but I may have to show elbow on the other side
*shield is supposed to be metal

thanks for feedback!

Leonhard
Art Contributor

Post by Leonhard »

Oops sorry for the hand, I didn't see it was there. It makes sense now :)

EDIT : I also think his left elbow should be lower, you can try on yourself but normally (at least if I'm not disproportionate) the elbow must reach the tip of the bone in the hip, and the forarm must be long enough for the hand to reach the middle of the thigh (I think it's the right word).

Sorry for all these criticises, it must be annoying, and I know it is much easier to say what has to be done than to do it. Be strong! :D
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

sketch--figuring out way to get past druid's "problem"
computer is not working, so can't actually GIMP it yet. critisize the sketch theough, so I can fix them when I draw it on the computer. Also, not .png yet, because I'm using Windows

Jetryl - shrunk the image down to a size where people can view the whole thing on their screen at once, which is helpful. At this point in the workflow, a high-res image isn't needed.
Attachments
druid.jpg
druid.jpg (30.58 KiB) Viewed 7164 times
Last edited by Thrawn on January 31st, 2006, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.