The dark adept

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Lugo Moll

The dark adept

Post by Lugo Moll »

I just noticed the dark adept image has been changed in 1.1. I really want the old one back! By the looks of the new one it seems to be made by Wayfarer. Not that I dislike Wayfarers graphics, but I think it clashes a bit with the traditional unit graphics. If the units should be wayfarer style then all units should. Not some of them.

It also look too different from its upgrades...
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies."
-Roger the shrubber
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Hey don't beat me the concept was by me yes but the rendering by Jetryl. (Not that I dislike it).

But you can't tell me that you prefer the old no offence meant but the old one looked like a cloak with a big potatoe in his face.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I though the whole line was being redone anyway. :D I just hope that they all look that good. (although they seem taller than most humans are in wesnoth, but that might just be me or a mistake.)
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

But you can't tell me that you prefer the old no offence meant but the old one looked like a cloak with a big potatoe in his face.
It did, Yet some people prefer it over the current version, that's not a good sigh.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
toms

Post by toms »

I especially liked his green shoes. :mrgreen:
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Well I quess that's a matter of taste I only made the concepts which I liked more than the old ones as you might have guessed (Jetryl did a great job imroving them credits to those who earned them) and yes I made concepts for the whole line the rest is not my case anymore.

(And the green shoes stayed on the Dark Sorcerer though I wouldn't have missed them)
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
JW

Post by JW »

I really prefer the new Adept so much that I sometimes hate to see it level. Especially since he only gets +2 ranged for the loss of awesome graphics.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

I prefer the new one too, particularly its ranger attack :)
Btw he's too much taller than the Necromancer... Perharps a new necromancer will fix this.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I think it's one of those mind tricks. People who are used to the old dark adept will feel something is out of place when they see that he is larger. But, if the dark adept took off his robes and his skin melted away, he would be the same size as a skeleton. Because of his posture and garments, he has more pixel area than any other L1 undead. But, if anything, some of the other undead recruits could use a minor size increase.
Attachments
Undead Recruits, Size Comparison
Undead Recruits, Size Comparison
undead-sizes.jpg (79.37 KiB) Viewed 3393 times
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I like the new DA, but his hair looks odd. And if the DA is changed, the others in the line need to be changed too - in fact, I would suggest using the current DA for the Necromancer. He looks like a level 2, IMHO.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

turin wrote:I like the new DA, but his hair looks odd. And if the DA is changed, the others in the line need to be changed too - in fact, I would suggest using the current DA for the Necromancer. He looks like a level 2, IMHO.
You would need to give him a staff though, but otherwise I agree. I can't wait to see the others in the line though!
Sorry for the meaningless post
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I agree it might be hard to upgrade the Necromancer art to be significantly more impressive than the Dark Adept. You might say the Dark Adept looks "too good." One obvious reason for this is his pose. His a spread legged stance, or Marvel-style pose gives him the L2 appearance and also makes his pixel area larger (due to the robes). He would look more L1 if he were thinner and standing up straighter. Oh, and I like the hair; don't change it! 8)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

wayfarer wrote:But you can't tell me that you prefer the old no offence meant but the old one looked like a cloak with a big potatoe in his face.
I can honestly say that I do. The 1.0 dark adept looked like a cloak with two dark eyes peering through a hood. It looked great! It looked creepy and mysterious, and had a certain... charm.

The new dark adept... is okay, but nowhere near as good.

The necromancer and lich are less good, but the Dark Adept and Dark Sorcerer were just great, period.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Well then download an old version, and stick the old graphics in your new version!(if you don't know where(on macs) it's contents/resourses/data/images)
Sorry for the meaningless post
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

This are the original concepts with Jetryls edits as you can see the dark adebt has changed so will the rest but yeah I guess in the end it will look something like this. And it is possible to make such units more immpressive

-Ghost Fields