New animations

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Ranger M wrote:ps, I re drew him to make him kneel as he falls as was suggested earlier, and I will make the eyes close and put in a shadow, but as I said, I need to sleep now.

For the Orc Archer death, try to have him fall flat on his face after kneeling. Currently with the head facing up, open eyes, arms going out, it looks like he's intentionally dropping prone to avoid enemy fire.

The arms do slack for a bit which is good, but then they come back up which makes it look as though the orc is catching himself as he falls. It'd be better just to leave them at his sides as he falls to the ground.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Kestenvarn & Boucman:

Ok I can see what you mean with the legs straightening, I'm surprised that I didn't notice earlier, and the face lieing flat makes sense too, but I left the frames to look like he was catching himself on purpose (It wasen't intentional to begin with),

In all of the movies that I see, (and when I have seen people fall over in the past) they normally try to catch themselves, this is because they aren't quite dead yet, and even if it isn't intentional, it is a reflex which still operates as most people actually die on the ground, not when they are hit (unless their head is chopped off, etc).

Zhukov:

Orc archer ranged: I put it at that speed because people generally take their time more when aiming a bow than when they hit someone with a sword. I could change it if most people wanted it, but I prefer it the way that it is.

Death anim: yep, thats is my next priority (then fixing the falling frames)

[insane rant]
and I don't cope, I get madder every day, It's like a prison with walls and bars that just keep closing in on you, get me out, I can't escape, the pain, the pain, help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
[/insane rant]
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

just did most of the changes, except the heads final position, unfortunately I have to go to lessons now, so post what you think and i'll change the head soon.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Ok - I've attached a version of the orc-archer-death animation that fixes the alignment of frames problem that I was discussing earlier.

Nothing else is changed versus the most recent one you posted - take a close look at what I did change, and it should help to make what I'm talking about more clear. For example, in frame 3, your whole image had shifted 1 px down and one pixel left - this was without reason, and it shifted back in frame 4.

This makes the image shake around inside the frame, and is something we need to avoid. That said, good work on this, and thanks for volunteering! :)
Attachments
orc_archer_death_278.gif
orc_archer_death_278.gif (6.87 KiB) Viewed 11144 times
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

OK, I have now made his head lie flat instead of looking forward, and I have fixed the alignment problem in frame three, and another I found in frame nine.

I think that I have done everything suggested to it, anything else?
Last edited by Ranger M on January 10th, 2006, 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

In the last frame (I think), the bow is shifted down 1 pixel. It can just about be noticed (not in-game, probably, but still), and Jetryl's version didn't have it.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Yep, forgot about that, fixed it now (edited above post)
Xan
Inactive Developer

Post by Xan »

Now it moves to the right. :wink:
"It is time people learned about their failures and my successes."
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Damn it :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: right, now that is fixed. (again edited the above post)
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Ah, that simple change to the head makes it look a lot better.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Ok, last modification, I was just looking at it and I remembered something that a art teacher told me once, 'the human eye hates straight lines', and the last frame had a straight line under the head (see posted image), So I got rid of part of that frame (which I don't know why was there in the first place).

Does it look better to anyone but me? Or was it just because I knew that it was there that it was bugging me?
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Ok, I didn't like my old melee animation (and I couldn't imagine someone walking and doing that) so I made a start on a new melee animation, it's not finished yet, but it has 10 frames. I have posted it here to see if people like the general idea, or weather It should stay on the ground.

The idea is that he jumps forward in the attack (which isn't obvious here, but would happen because it moves the image in game).
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I'm no good a tdeath frames, but for the archer, he looks a little 2-D in that 9th frame, but besides that it is excellent!

IIRC, With the attack, units can't just slide back anymore--his legs have to actually move (I could be mistaken here, though)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I haven't seen any animations walking back yet (including elvish pilligers princess one) or heard anything about it, so I'll wait untill jetryl says something about it.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Ranger M wrote:I haven't seen any animations walking back yet (including elvish pilligers princess one) or heard anything about it, so I'll wait untill jetryl says something about it.
Boucman wrote:you can probably use the same frames to make her walk back after the strike...
maybe I misinterpreted this
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well