Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: New animations

Post by beetlenaut »

rhyging5 wrote:thanks! but i have the handicap of de language, then, in which frame and how you might put more intensify?
The frames where the fire is the biggest and brightest should make the goblin and wolf brighter near the flame.
Also, I think the fire would look better with another color or two: maybe some red on the edges, and white in the middle.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

A-Red wrote:I'm certainly not one to tell the art director how to direct art, but...that sort of requires every single unit in the game to have breathing animations for consistency, no? There aren't any other units with fire, so just having the fire animated doesn't make the unit stand out as odd...but if its chest is heaving and it's the only unit on the field like that, wouldn't it be a little glaring? It's going to take years to animate them all like that.
Note that only certain units have idle animations now, so it's nothing different... All projects start somewhere, and not doing something solely because it might take a while means that nothing would get done around here. Upgrading all the portraits took a long time too.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

thespaceinvader wrote:The animation looks pretty good to me - the dfficulty with this particular unit is that that animated nature needs to be applied to all the frames, not just the base frame - it's something jet's had in mind for a while, but i think he was waiting til after he'd replaced the wolves first...
who is jet? i like to help him triing to improve wolves and riders also......
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Jetrel. Jetryl. The Big' J. Art Director. The Guy With The Funny Frog Avatar. (If there's a story behind that avatar I'd like to hear it.)
melinath

Post by melinath »

Zerovirus wrote:(If there's a story behind that avatar I'd like to hear it.)
I don't know the motivation, but here's the source image plus some context. Obviously I don't know if this is exactly the site where he got it, but meh. I always liked Glen/Frog. Very Arthurian.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

@A-Red: Yes, the intent is to have breathing animations for all characters. As with all tasks, you start somewhere and just whittle away at it.

I think breathing animations would really help, because they're what 95% of a character's screen-time is spent in.

melinath wrote:
Zerovirus wrote:(If there's a story behind that avatar I'd like to hear it.)
I don't know the motivation, but here's the source image plus some context. Obviously I don't know if this is exactly the site where he got it, but meh. I always liked Glen/Frog. Very Arthurian.
Actually, I just extracted it from a screenshot of the game. But yes, I've had this theme of frog-related avatars for a while. I don't quite know why, it just happened.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Jetrel wrote:
Actually, I just extracted it from a screenshot of the game. But yes, I've had this theme of frog-related avatars for a while. I don't quite know why, it just happened.
because you got tired or avatars w/ amazing facial hair?
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
wolfy

Post by wolfy »

I won't say a word about me being missing for eight months - life.

That's the frames I've forgotten to post - sorry.

I will return to them when I'll find time - because many, many things have happened :roll:

Once again - sorry.
Attachments
Preview
Preview
arch-mage+female+defend-anim2.gif (26.4 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
defend.zip
Animation
(79.38 KiB) Downloaded 367 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

LOoks pretty cool. WOUld make a good idle anim, and if I read the frames correctly, the first couple would probably work for a defence animation too.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

I think the entire thing was intended to be a defense animation.

(Unless I'm misinterpreting your statement, in which case, why not the entire thing?)
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Because, as discussed earlier in the thread when this poster was about before, defence animations are only 2 frames.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

why ?

is it for macro-reusing reasons ?
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Basically, yes. We could make them longer in certain cases if we wanted to, but standardisation is preferable - talk to Jet for the full story.

EDIT: there are also play-time considerations - they need to play within the time it takes for the quickest attacks to hit.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

This started out as more of a joke than anything else. Is it ridiculous (it was originally supposed to be :wink: ), fantastic, or worth modifying? I had to post separate frames as the GIF kept shifting around. This is by no means perfect, I was just wondering what everyone thought. Could (possibly) be used as a death or recruiting animation. About the file names... don't even ask.

EDIT: Dang, forgot the files show up in reverse order. Just view it from bottom to top and it should make more sense.
Attachments
moely4.png
moely3.png
moely2.png
moely.png
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

thespaceinvader wrote:Basically, yes. We could make them longer in certain cases if we wanted to, but standardisation is preferable - talk to Jet for the full story.

EDIT: there are also play-time considerations - they need to play within the time it takes for the quickest attacks to hit.
Play-time considerations make it mandatory.

Even though we hypothetically could include an infinite number of frames within that tiny window of 200ms or so that is open for a defense animation, it's pointless to do so because they wouldn't be visible in-game, especially not at the typical wesnoth framerate which is rather bad on most machines because we're not hardware-accelerated.

It's just better to leave it standardized, period.

All that said, that would make a fine idle animation, but absolutely, positively not a defense animation.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!