Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: New animations

Post by Velensk »

Speaking as someone who has little experience with sprites but some with weapons.

That particular stroke would be very risky to any living fighter. It looks like he's swinging at a mans ankles. If the target has his weight on his back foot (as is very common) then it would be almost trivial to move it out of the way (you could probably do it without even stepping out of reach for a moment) and very hard to recover control of your weapon if things go wrong(or even if things go right). In addition you expose so many vital targets that you're practically asking for death. Now, it might not be quite as bad for an undead warrior but I imagine a draug could do better all the same.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I think the animation would look more powerful if there was more of a stretch involved when he raises the axe in preparation for the downward swing (currently I get the impression that he's resting the axe on his shoulder before bringing it down), and if the first frame of the downward swing encompassed more of the downward movement than the second frame (so that the first frame has covers about 70-80 percent of the swing, with the second frame finishing out the other 30-20 percent of the movement before the recovery).
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

TSI and Artisticdude have good points.

The main thing that bugs me right now is the fact that his arm completely stops in place an extra frame in mid swing. It should move a little bit at least.

The point of him hitting low is just to make it clearer that he is attacking a unit below him on the battlefield... But to make it look less like he is chopping away at someones feet there are some thing that can be done:

Let his lowest point in the swing be further to the left, i.e. let the axe reach between his legs or left leg. ( <- Best fix. For bonus points have the axe be foreshortened.)
The shadow in addition to angle is a guide to how high we perceive the strike to be, so increasing the shadow distance might help.
Make him lean forwards a bit more - it can help but it looks good as it is.

In frame 5 I would have his arm be further up and more out from the body... having it positionally close to the hitting blow in frame six makes it loose power.

Possible cape anti-wobble and inertia fix: Have the cape be closest to his body in frame 2 but leave the others as it is.

Nitpick: the shield looks paper-thin when you see the backside of it. Give it a visible rim on the edges turned to us.

Otherwise I totally dig the torso, face and shoulders animations. 8) The leg to our left too, but I would check the wobbliness of his kneecap.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

Jetrel wrote:That punch is pretty nice, overall. Care to post PNGs?
Forgot about that...here they are.
Attachments
skeletonarcheranimation.rar
(15.96 KiB) Downloaded 442 times
Tefaas

Post by Tefaas »

I am Tefaas from Russia. My nick in wesnothlife.ru is DV.

I make new animation for Spectre.

P.S. Sorry for my poor english language.
Attachments
spectre_with_sword.tar
(40 KiB) Downloaded 568 times
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

You put the spectre's head on the wraith's body. You can use this to give the spectre an animation on your own copy of wesnoth if you want, but I hope you know that the developers will never add this to the game.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Tefaas

Post by Tefaas »

Yes, I know.
I think, somebody can use this animation, until the developers make something other...
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

No.

No animation is better than bad animation.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

thespaceinvader wrote:No.

No animation is better than bad animation.
QFT
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Theoden

Post by Theoden »

Tried to draw a death animation for the swordsman based off the spearman animation... not sure if it's any good though :?
Attachments
swordsman-die.gif
swordsman-die.gif (5.89 KiB) Viewed 6338 times
Major
Art Contributor

Post by Major »

It's been a long time since I was on here, after booting the ol' game up I decided to come take a look see.
I took a look through some of my old stuff and noticed that I had abandoned the Spearman North facing stuff like a complete [censored].
I fiddled around with it a bit and wondered if you still want it done seeing as the game doesn't have any North animations on the spearman yet.
Spearman N.PNG
Spearman N.PNG (955 Bytes) Viewed 5232 times
Has it been done or would you like me to finish what I started all that time ago?
Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
Major
Art Contributor

Post by Major »

Just in case.
Attachments
Spearman NE Bob.gif
Spearman NE Bob.gif (4.41 KiB) Viewed 5157 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Major wrote:Just in case.
I'd say that looks good to go, but I've not got commit access at the moment since the changeover to the new repository. Can someone with commit access have a go at it please?
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Major
Art Contributor

Post by Major »

Boo.
Spearman N attack Animation.gif
Spearman N attack Animation.gif (7.2 KiB) Viewed 4846 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Overall, these are quite nice - if you can post PNGs of them as you go, we'd love to get them in.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!