New animations

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Reepurr

Re: New animations

Post by Reepurr »

Once again, I'll mention the fact I'm a peanut gallery artist, and then I'll give you a 15-second click and drag of where I was thinking he'd be as he's striking.
streeeeeetch.png
streeeeeetch.png (1.28 KiB) Viewed 5767 times
EDIT: This might fuel your inspiration in some miscellaneous way...Just a suggestion of course, a punch that affects the south too would be a good idea I guess.
blocking_rules.gif
blocking_rules.gif (3.15 KiB) Viewed 5758 times
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

Hope its better this time.
Attachments
skeletonarcheranimation.gif
skeletonarcheranimation.gif (5.66 KiB) Viewed 5754 times
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Peanut gallery, but this doesn't have to do with the art, but rather the idea of punching. Try this out.

It seems this sprite is being animated from a right-handed skele's perspective. I'm right-handed too, thus if I were to lunge and punch someone in the face, I'd naturally use my right hand. But this is what seems unnatural with the animation: I wouldn't spring from my left foot, but rather my right foot (let me be more clear). Trying standing up now and (without thinking) pretend to lunge someone far enough that you would need to step forward to deliver the punch. You might see that rather than your right foot advancing with your hand, it is more natural for your left foot to advance. Also you can reach farther this way. If I lunged forward like your animation, I'd quickly lose balance. In other words, the skele's left foot should be the foot moving.

Wow, alot of words for just one little thing.
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

monochromatic wrote:Peanut gallery, but this doesn't have to do with the art, but rather the idea of punching. Try this out.

It seems this sprite is being animated from a right-handed skele's perspective. I'm right-handed too, thus if I were to lunge and punch someone in the face, I'd naturally use my right hand. But this is what seems unnatural with the animation: I wouldn't spring from my left foot, but rather my right foot (let me be more clear). Trying standing up now and (without thinking) pretend to lunge someone far enough that you would need to step forward to deliver the punch. You might see that rather than your right foot advancing with your hand, it is more natural for your left foot to advance. Also you can reach farther this way. If I lunged forward like your animation, I'd quickly lose balance. In other words, the skele's left foot should be the foot moving.

Sorry to say this,but are you insane??? You would loose your fight too early...you MOVE with the leg correspodning with your arm, to not only preserve balance with other foot, but to add your weight into the punch, if you would move left leg,with right fist, you would loose precious momentum, weight,speed,balance and you would obstruct yourself with that leg, wich will defy your original purpose, to reach further. Try to hit with your right arm and move with left leg, its totally unlogical.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

bonehead11 wrote:
monochromatic wrote:Peanut gallery, but this doesn't have to do with the art, but rather the idea of punching. Try this out.

Sorry to say this,but are you insane??? You would loose your fight too early...you MOVE with the leg correspodning with your arm, to not only preserve balance with other foot, but to add your weight into the punch, if you would move left leg,with right fist, you would loose precious momentum, weight,speed,balance and you would obstruct yourself with that leg, wich will defy your original purpose, to reach further. Try to hit with your right arm and move with left leg, its totally unlogical.
:hmm: I stand by what I said. I lose my balance moving right arm with right foot. I find the opposite sides more grounded.
That being said, this was a peanut gallery comment.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

For what it's worth (and of course my TC'd name only applies to translation, so remember I'm in the peanut gallery too ;) ), I'm going to agree with bonehead here. After winding up a few big punches, I found I can get a lot more force into the punch if I move the same foot with my fist. Doing it opposite felt really clumsy to me.

That said, I (personally) think you could use some more wind up in the punch. Exaggeration is your friend. :)
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

monochromatic wrote: :hmm: I stand by what I said. I lose my balance moving right arm with right foot. I find the opposite sides more grounded.
I don't know what your balance is like or how much you've actually trained punches, but stepping and punching using the foot and arm of the same side pretty much always provides better reach, grounding and power. At least unless you're doing a perfectly straight short punch.

If you hit from the right, your torso is gonna be turning to the left. Now if you at the same time step forward with your left foot, your hips are gonna be pointing forwards, meaning that your hips and torso aren't gonna be aligned, which hurts your grounding; it's easier to ground your right arm through your left leg than to do it through your right leg. Also it hurts the power of your punch quite a bit, because you can't add a turn of the hips to your punch.

That's not to say you can't do it, but generally speaking hitting and stepping with the same side results in a more powerful strike (pretty much regardless of what weapon you use), and it also looks more fluid and natural (because the whole body can turn in one big nice smooth arc), which is good for the kind of animations we use.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Funny how I find it awkward. Well, bonehead, feel free to ignore what I wrote then.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

You don't step forward with the left foot at the same time as the punch, but before. The fist starts moving forwards around the moment the foot hits the ground. You now have forward momentum and a stable base to twist your torso from.

Moving right foot and fist at the same time feels like a barely controllable attempt to throw your weight around. (it works with a sidestep or a downward punch while moving forward)
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Depends on why and how you're punching. Doing it off the back foot can definitely add power, but not reach. Doing it on the front foot adds speed and reach, and is plenty powerful nonetheless. Trust a black belt.

The basic motion is FINE, and will not be discussed any more.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

For some reason, I thought my blocking deserved some sort of expansion upon. Um...he's punching southeast here right?
skellyblob.png
skellyblob.png (1.5 KiB) Viewed 5592 times
EDIT: As bonehead hasn't posted here for a while: (Excuse the odd colours, the GIF compression's being funny)
kliklak.gif
kliklak.gif (6.03 KiB) Viewed 5450 times
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

Havent replied in some time, so tried to exeggerate the windup a little more as suggested and made him throw himself into the punch a bit more, hope its done.
Attachments
skeletonarcheranimation.gif
skeletonarcheranimation.gif (5.69 KiB) Viewed 5404 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

That punch is pretty nice, overall. Care to post PNGs?
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
EELuminatus
Art Contributor

Post by EELuminatus »

Reviving the undead...

Well, this is a pretty old fellow - but not forgotten. He looked very weak when you saw him the last time, but I hope he's better now. ;)
Attachments
Might need more exaggeration still; I'm aware that "powerful" animations are not quite my speciality...
Might need more exaggeration still; I'm aware that "powerful" animations are not quite my speciality...
draug_attack04a.gif (10.47 KiB) Viewed 4869 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

His front foot, at least, needs to actually lift off the ground at some point during the strike, or he just looks like he's ice skating.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.