Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

New Tutorial - Animation

Post by Jetrel »

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Basic_Animation_Tutorial

C&C is VERY welcome. I'd really like to hear from anyone about things they don't understand.

There are some things I don't cover, like tricks for making sure frmes are aligned (that really might be best for a program-specific tutorial. There are also no image examples.

If anyone can provide said image examples, I'd love to have them, rather than to have to produce them from scratch, myself, when I could be doing other things.
Garm

Post by Garm »

nice :D
it was good
Veni vidi vici
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

GREAT!

I would also like to see examples (pictures), especially for the "Exaggeration techniques". How to do it WRONG and how to do it RIGHT.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Very good. Covers the points and is easy to understand.
I could really see myself in some of the common mistakes section, especially that bit about redrawing hidden areas. :)
As already said, some graphic examples would certainly help, but I think the tutorial is fine as it is.
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

I hope you don't mind me editing the layout slightly... (made headers larger, moved the intro section to below the contents box)

If you liked it better as it was, It's easy to change back.

I also added a few frames of zhukov's grunt attack animation at the bottom to kick off an examples section -- to which, uhh, I hope neither of you objects :).
Zhukov wrote:I could really see myself in some of the common mistakes section, especially that bit about redrawing hidden areas. :)
pfft - I used your orcish grunt attack frame as an example of how to do this properly :P
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Thanks, yobbo. Much appreciated. :)
Disto

Post by Disto »

A trick i use to make sure the image is aligned in all the frames, is copy and paste it into a new file, it puts it centred by default which means that it is aligned perfectly.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Disto wrote:A trick i use to make sure the image is aligned in all the frames, is copy and paste it into a new file, it puts it centred by default which means that it is aligned perfectly.
Actually, that doesn't work. And thank you, because I should probably note that in my tutorial.

Why doesn't it work? Simple - units need to be aligned not at their center, which it does achieve, but at their feet. If any of the images are taller than the others, the vertical offset of the feet is different, and viola - the images are not aligned.
Disto

Post by Disto »

It's probably todo with my animation techniques, maybe try putting a line on a layer, which is invisible when you save, just turn off the visiblility, but you can show it up for when you make changes, so with the gimp you can save the frames from the original version after you make them and each would be aligned against the line, which would be the same as with the original.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth