Artist needed

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
pigandforks

Artist needed

Post by pigandforks »

I am looking for an artist/s who is/are interested increating some original unit art. I am currently working on a new era and all was going well until i noticed that my drawing is terrible. Rather than make a piece of ugly crap i want to create something beautiful. That is why i need artist/s. You can do the fun stuff - unit art i will do the boring stuff - everything else. If anyone is interested ... i guess a good start would be responding to this. Any question, feel free to ask. :shock: <- i picked it for no reason it just looked good.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

I'm not interested I already don't know what to do first but your reguest is a little bit thin what do you want?
I mean there a dozens proposals for new factions and eras it would be good if you first write what's the idea.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

There are probably over a dozen proposals for new art, getting a complete set of art for a faction (including animations) can take over a month, and there are really only ~4 roaming artists, so to speak - Neoriceisgood, wayfarer, Disto, and me. And AFAIK, we're all busy.

Of course, if you write up your faction proposal in a fairly detailed manner, and post it in Ideas, you might convince someone to abandon their current project...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
pigandforks

Post by pigandforks »

Ok i am getting some where i havent posted here before and didnt realise there were so few people interested in doing this sort of thing. Currently i have one faction that just needs unit art the other a still in early phase. But i thought i would be a good idea to find out if i could find someone to do the art before i wasted my time making things i would never use.

Whats different about this era is that i am going for a more RPG approach to the leader. Each faction will have only one choice of leader who will have a number of different paths of advancement. The current faction that i previously mentioned is the Barbarians. All recruitable units will be level 0 and will advance to a max of 2 were as the leader will be level 2 and currently advancing to level 4 but if some is willing to put in alot of work for the unit art it will go up to 5. To begin with i was looking at three faction, you know keep it small more than that is alot of work for any artist. the other to currently in the early stages are the holy order and the shades.

I started of doing some unit art as i mention but it was crap. I mainly used existing unit art as the influence and worked from there. The barbarians were based of the existing troll units. At the moment the barbarians have three recruitable units - tribesman, shaman and bear rider. but again more variety in advancements.

I have also played around with unit art for the shades which was based of the ghost and its advancements. But the shades are still in early stages and the holy order are in very early stages.

I looking to work with an artisit rather than tell an artist what to do and leave alot of units open for the artist interpretation of how it is to look. i figure that way the best units will come out of it.

If there is any interest post here.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

As I said, completing a faction well can take up to a month, if not more, of relatively constant work. So, before any artist wants to start helping you, they'll want to know if you're willing to dedicate that amount of time to your project. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
pigandforks

Post by pigandforks »

Im very willing i know its a lot of work so i dont know how good my chances are of getting anyone, but i can try and if i dont have any luck i will keep working and try to find an artist later i guess. But i have alot of ideas and creative pursuits are important to me.

Also i not going to be all GRRR get it done of no rice crispy snacks, i have no idea what that ment but yeah i know creativity can take its time so i guess it will come into the world when it is ment to or fade into nothingness if it is ment to. I would prefer it not to fade into nothingness.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Yeah, i'm not doing anything until i've completed the Marauders except the odd unit, which I want to do.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

In any case, if you want artists, you should probably to develop a full unit tree so they can see where the faction is going. I don't know about other people, but I usually want to know what I'm getting into before signing up, especially since I disapprove of about 2/3rds of faction propositions...
Disto wrote:Yeah, i'm not doing anything until i've completed the Marauders except the odd unit, which I want to do.
So, do you have any more animations to send over? ;)
The World of Orbivm
pigandforks

Post by pigandforks »

haha disapprove of 2/3s of faction propositions but i proposed 3 factions...
Anyway at the moment the barbarians have got:-

Shaman - Druid - Elder Druid
- Black Mage - Tainted (Working titles, hence still needing work. Possible some sort of witch doctor, or something like that)

Bear rider - Bear Master - Bear king (or possible bear chieftan)

Tribesman - Warrior - Warlord
- Hunter - Master(or master hunter or something else like that)

Hero- Caster - Fire Caster
- Ice Castet
- Axe hero(something along those lines but sounding cooler)- Berserker
- Overlord
pigandforks

Post by pigandforks »

spacing didnt work right on that post which thing do i use to do that? I havent used this forum before i made this thread.
scott

Post by scott »

Go to a text editor, hit tab, copy the tab character, and paste it to line up text. Hitting tab on your browser doesn't produce a tab character; instead, it moves to another field.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
pigandforks

Post by pigandforks »

alrighty thanks
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Before I forgot it another artist called Cobretti started to make a barbarian faction but it seems he never finished it take a search perhaps you can use them as placeholders or as a startpoint the second Neorice did many units perhaps you can also use some of them just browse the Graphic Library on the Wiki many stuff has already been done.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
pigandforks

Post by pigandforks »

alrighty thanks for that.