swamp tiles

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

yobbo wrote:I actually had the thought of modifying the transparency on the walls of the swamp ruin (as it doesn't look very sunken as it is), then realised just how many of those little wall fragments there are... eek.
Yeah, no kidding. :-) If anyone's interested in doing this, I had pulled together some Gimp plugins to do some of the work. Unfortunately, I don't have time to wade through all the fragments re-alpha-ing them. Original threads:

Darth Fool's ruin teaser
(Unanswered) request for help
Author of Wercator
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Quensul wrote:
yobbo wrote:I actually had the thought of modifying the transparency on the walls of the swamp ruin (as it doesn't look very sunken as it is), then realised just how many of those little wall fragments there are... eek.
Yeah, no kidding. :-) If anyone's interested in doing this, I had pulled together some Gimp plugins to do some of the work. Unfortunately, I don't have time to wade through all the fragments re-alpha-ing them. Original threads:

Darth Fool's ruin teaser
(Unanswered) request for help
I strongly support someone taking on this task. I almost certainly won't get around to it myself, largely because your right, it is huge. I didn't quite know what I was getting myself into when I set out to make the ruins in the first place. Still, it would be a really cool effect if someone is willing to take it on. I can virtually guarantee that it is a contribution that would be included.
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

Quensul wrote: If anyone's interested in doing this, I had pulled together some Gimp plugins to do some of the work.
I can't promise I'll do anything with them but I'd be curious to take a look at the gimp plugins.

How were all the castle wall graphics (the base ones, too) made? I couldn't even really figure out how the game placed the tiles. Why are all the png's different sizes?
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

New swamp tiles commited.

There are a small gfx issue with different trans for grass to water and swamp next to each other which are a bit more apparent with these new tiles. However this is not a problem with the new tiles, it's rather a limitation of how transitions are drawn atm. It can be reduced by redoing the grass transition, while we are looking into how to best adress it.
Xan
Inactive Developer

Swamp tile with reeds

Post by Xan »

I made a swamp tile with reeds, in case anyone wanted to use it as a variation.
Attachments
swampwater-reeds1.png
swampwater-reeds1.png (7.92 KiB) Viewed 2796 times
"It is time people learned about their failures and my successes."
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I think the tile is not filled well enough.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Zebulon
Art Developer

Post by Zebulon »

It's a just a variant, like flowers, which don’t fill a tile.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Xan: Those reeds should be multi-hexed so that they don't stop at all the tile edges.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Xan
Inactive Developer

Post by Xan »

I wasn't planning on making it multi-hex, just like the flowers and other plants.
"It is time people learned about their failures and my successes."
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Yes, but yours has signinficant height, so it looks wrong if it isn't multihexed.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Yes, but yours has signinficant height, so it looks wrong if it isn't multihexed.
I agree, they look cramped into the space allotted.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:? Rather than yacking about it trying to explain what we mean, here is a demo of what I'm talking about:

I'm going to make a few (4 or so) myself, which are based entirely on the existing forest multihex tiles, including positioning of the plant mass. Freim, I will expect to look-over and possibly tweak the files, as well as doing the honors of adding them into CVS - I don't know the WML to configure these things, nor do I have the time to find out.

:) Besides, it'll be worth it to have such a massive improvement in terrain quality between releases.

This demo is merely to give an impression of what it will look like on swamp tiles.
Attachments
swampMultiDemo.png
swampMultiDemo.png (15.86 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

More to come:
Attachments
swampGrass2.png
swampGrass2.png (5.53 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
swampGrass1.png
swampGrass1.png (5.51 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Swamp grass 3.png - teh sequel!

(and amazingly, jetryl actually managed to upload all four images that he said he would within a few hours .... what is this, some sort of alternate universe? )
Attachments
swampWater3.png
swampWater3.png (5.58 KiB) Viewed 2506 times
swampWater4.png
swampWater4.png (5.52 KiB) Viewed 2507 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

And while I'm at it, I've extracted the other "variations" in case frame wants to use them as overlays.
Attachments
swampwater-flowers1.png
swampwater-flowers1.png (4.19 KiB) Viewed 3001 times
swampwater-flowers2.png
swampwater-flowers2.png (4.6 KiB) Viewed 3001 times
swampwater-plant1.png
swampwater-plant1.png (5.28 KiB) Viewed 3006 times