New Gryphon

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

New Gryphon

Post by Jetrel »

I've prepared a new version of the gryphon, based on some work francisco did. I have yet to make more than one level for the "gryphon rider" images, but as soon as I have the base frames done, they're all going in.

The images in-game are so bad that even if these aren't animated before 1.0, they'll still look better.

This is one of a bunch of "loose ends" I need to tie up in the next month, before 1.0.

(Props to Shadow for the parts I used to make the rider.)

----

For reference, the current ones look like:
ImageImageImageImage
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

the new gryphon looks good, however I think the rider is not visible enough....
you barely see it on the back of the gryphon. More contrast, maybe ?
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Boucman wrote:the new gryphon looks good, however I think the rider is not visible enough....
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing myself, actually - I'll take a swing at fixing that. Possibly, something on his head might help.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Jetryl wrote:
Boucman wrote:the new gryphon looks good, however I think the rider is not visible enough....
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing myself, actually - I'll take a swing at fixing that. Possibly, something on his head might help.
Much better than the old one the hair of the rider is too bright and perhaps even the skin color is a nuance too btright
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Finally it's clear that it's a dwarf and that people can start complaining in earnest. :wink:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
elscouta

Post by elscouta »

I'm not sure i like it.

The wings look quite strange, and I fail to see how they are fixed to the body. The body looks good though.
Disto

Post by Disto »

I don't really like it either, it's better than our current one but its just not my type, i personally feel we should change it too a giant eagle...
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I like it a lot, but the wing on the left side of the picture doesn't look attached to the body. Other than that, it's awesome.
Disto wrote:I don't really like it either, it's better than our current one but its just not my type, i personally feel we should change it too a giant eagle...
I agree, and I think Jetryl does too; unfortunately, there is no way that change could be done before 1.0, and it probably won't be done afterwards.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

turin wrote:I like it a lot, but the wing on the left side of the picture doesn't look attached to the body. Other than that, it's awesome.
Disto wrote:I don't really like it either, it's better than our current one but its just not my type, i personally feel we should change it too a giant eagle...
I agree, and I think Jetryl does too; unfortunately, there is no way that change could be done before 1.0, and it probably won't be done afterwards.
Dito :) But the dwarf needs much clearer outlines.
Tieom

Post by Tieom »

Better than the old one, I say. The Dwarf rider could, perhaps, be made clearer by changing the hair color to something-other-than-grey.

Crude art-hackery follows.
Attachments
Quick Dyejob
Quick Dyejob
gryphon-rider_brunette.png (5.07 KiB) Viewed 4026 times
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Jetryl, your new gryphon has a much improved head, body and paws (feet?) than the old gryphon, but it fails in the wings department. The wings of the old gryphon are just great. The new gryphon's wings look like folded-up bat wings and not at all bird-like. The white color and low contrast help to reduce this "feel" a bit, but you can't have wings that spread like a fan from a mid-way joint along the wing without making them look bat-like. The gryphon in mythology is supposed to have bird-wings, however.

Oh, and the new gryphon doesn't have a shadow yet :).
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

Tieom wrote:Better than the old one, I say. The Dwarf rider could, perhaps, be made clearer by changing the hair color to something-other-than-grey.

Crude art-hackery follows.
I like the brown hair, the dwarf is much more visible now.
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Another vote for: body & head yes, rider & wings definitely not. IMO the old one looks clearer and therefore better at the moment.

The brown hair improves things, but the end result will depend on where the wings go, since part of the problem is that the colours for the rider's armour are very similar to the colour of the gryphon's wings and plumage.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

I agree about the wings. Beside the mentioned points, the new wings don't look large enough to carry gryphon and rider without some magical help.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I, too, will join my voice to those who critique the wings of the new gryphon. A gryphon should have eagle's wings!

As for the rider, why is it a dwarf? I seem to remember a thread in which someone commented that the gryphon rider was not originally meant to be a dwarf but that whoever did the art absent-mindedly made it a dwarf anyway and then the image was used because it was the only one available.

Now, if it is a dwarf, why would only the dwarves in Konrad's army have learned to ride gryphons but not any of the elves and humans? Again, if the gryphon rider is a dwarf, why do the dwarves not have gryphon riders in Classic mode? But if it is not a dwarf, why do we depict it as a dwarf?

Overall, though, the new gryphon images are a vast improvement!