Missing animations

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Circon

Post by Circon »

The trail is rather long, if you ask me, especially compared to the Revenant I posted earlier...
Oh, that reminds me, has the trail for *his* axe been made transparent? I didn't have that when I made it.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Circon wrote:The trail is rather long, if you ask me, especially compared to the Revenant I posted earlier...
I'll have to see how it looks in the game with full speed animation before I change the length of the trail. I try not to play Wesnoth at work, so this will have to wait until tonight to get done, ...
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

I changed most of the weapon "cinetic lines" for 0.7 as alpha blended images got supported.
Old units will be updated... but it's not high priority.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

it seems that the skeleton changes it's stance between the two attack frames...
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Ok, I messed around with this a bunch last night, playing with the figures, playing wesnoth to see how the animation looks, playing with the config files to get timing right, etc... at the end I came to a conclusion that the more experienced artists already knew. Big changes in stance don't work, even with intermediary frames! I have attached below the final attempts for posterity, but I don't suggest using them in the game. Even though I think that the frames look pretty good when viewed seperately, It is just too hard to see the skeleton stepping forward in the game when animated (and moving). Maybe someone will be inspired to use them for a different unit...I don't know. So my recommendation is stick with the original skeleton attack by fmunoz...
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Red Mage Defense

Post by Darth Fool »

I have worked on a defensive posture for the red-mage. If people like it I can work on attack frames as well. I HAVE tried this in the game and thinks it works pretty well...
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I like skeleton attack 1 -- it looks like it's winding up for a huge attack with the axe....but then the other frames don't quite come through. Imo he should bring the axe all the way down to the ground in a huge arc. I think it only needs two frames -- the first one, and then one with the axe all the way down after taking a huge swing, the skeleton bending down slightly, and a big halo-arc.

Red mage defensive image looks pretty cool :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Your suggestion worked. Two frames definately better then three. It still is a little hard in game to really notice that the skeleton is stepping forward with one of his legs... Here are the new animation sequences:
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

...And some new red-mage-animations...
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

...and some arch-mage staff attacks...
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Darth Fool wrote:Your suggestion worked. Two frames definately better then three. It still is a little hard in game to really notice that the skeleton is stepping forward with one of his legs... Here are the new animation sequences:
This does look better, although I think it'd look better still if the skeleton crouched down more when he brings the axe down.

Watch someone who is skillful at cutting wood do it [1]. They will raise the axe high in the air, like the skeleton does, with their strong hand gripping the middle of the handle, and their other hand gripping the end. Then they will bring the axe down with all the force they can muster, crouching down as they do, and slide their strong hand down the handle of the axe, so that by the end of the swing, both their hands are on the very end of the axe, to give it the maximum leverage and bring it down with as much force as possible.

Years ago I wrote and animated a platform game that contained a guy with a sword. He could do a combination attack which ended with a move like this. Animating it I learnt quite a bit about it.

Okay, perhaps that's enough of the technical guy telling the artists how it's done... ;)
Darth Fool wrote: ...And some new red-mage-animations...
These look good, although note that the 'haloing' of the red mage ready to do the fireball should all fit within mask.png.

I am hoping to implement a system that allows haloing effects that reach into surrounding hexes, but this isn't implemented yet.

Keep up the good work!

David

[1] okay I realize this isn't exactly something that is easy to do :)
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Dave wrote:
Darth Fool wrote:Your suggestion worked. Two frames definately better then three. It still is a little hard in game to really notice that the skeleton is stepping forward with one of his legs... Here are the new animation sequences:
This does look better, although I think it'd look better still if the skeleton crouched down more when he brings the axe down.

Watch someone who is skillful at cutting wood do it [1]. They will raise the axe high in the air, like the skeleton does, with their strong hand gripping the middle of the handle, and their other hand gripping the end. Then they will bring the axe down with all the force they can muster, crouching down as they do, and slide their strong hand down the handle of the axe, so that by the end of the swing, both their hands are on the very end of the axe, to give it the maximum leverage and bring it down with as much force as possible.

Years ago I wrote and animated a platform game that contained a guy with a sword. He could do a combination attack which ended with a move like this. Animating it I learnt quite a bit about it.
My idea was to have the skeleton stepping into the attack, but I will see what it looks like with him crouched forward more as well...

Okay, perhaps that's enough of the technical guy telling the artists how it's done... ;)
Well, in my other life, I am a technical guy and I had originally thought to contribute by adding to the code. But then I keep getting these ideas, for modding the graphics. I really am a newbie at it, but i am finding gimp can do wanders. So keep the comments coming, I'm learning a lot about the artistic end of things! :D
Darth Fool wrote: ...And some new red-mage-animations...
These look good, although note that the 'haloing' of the red mage ready to do the fireball should all fit within mask.png.
Yeah, I didn't notice that until I posted the graphic. Wesnoth did seem to display it fine when I tried it in game. I'll post a revised one shortly

I am hoping to implement a system that allows haloing effects that reach into surrounding hexes, but this isn't implemented yet.

Keep up the good work!

David

[1] okay I realize this isn't exactly something that is easy to do :)
The extra haloing will be cool...:D
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Here is the masked version of the red mage fireball attack ...
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Darth Fool wrote:

Well, in my other life, I am a technical guy and I had originally thought to contribute by adding to the code.
Cool. I look forward to seeing some code contributions from you one day when you want a change from graphics :)

(Btw my comment wasn't meant to 'pigeon hole' you or anyone else as mono-talented)
Darth Fool wrote: But then I keep getting these ideas, for modding the graphics. I really am a newbie at it, but i am finding gimp can do wanders. So keep the comments coming, I'm learning a lot about the artistic end of things! :D
Well okay, just as long as you realize that I don't necessarily know much about graphics :-p

It's good to hear that Wesnoth is teaching people new things. I consider it an additional success for the project every time I hear that a developer has learned something when working on it.
Darth Fool wrote: Yeah, I didn't notice that until I posted the graphic. Wesnoth did seem to display it fine when I tried it in game. I'll post a revised one shortly
It will 'sometimes' work, but not necessarily. Since the alpha value is so low, when it doesn't work, it's probably going to be barely noticeable anyway. Still better not to have it.

David
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Ok, That definately does look better in the game. Here is the (final?) version also moved more to the center so it fits in the hex-mask as well (oops).