Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Casual User

A images if anyone has the time

Post by Casual User »

Good afternoon!

I'm currently making a little custom campaign, and I would need some unit art. 2 out of 3 are only little tweaks on existing units. I'd make them myself, except when I save Paint images as .png, they're usually bugged or something.

1. A dwarvish steelclad with a crown and/or a cape. He's supposed to get leadership, so an image of him leading could be useful (but not necessary, the defense position works as well)

2. A dwarvish lord with a crown and cape. He's supposed to get leadership, so an image of him leading could be useful (but not necessary, the defense position works as well)

3. A cannon. I only need two images:the cannon itself and the cannon shooting (basically the cannon with smoke/a little fire). No need for anything more fancy.

Thanks in advance.
King Arthur

Post by King Arthur »

Do you like this image?
Attachments
dwarf-king.png
dwarf-king.png (3.06 KiB) Viewed 6117 times
"Waes-hael! for Lord and Dame! O! merry be their Dole; Drink-hael! in Jesu's name, And fill the tawny bowl."
King Arthur
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I like it. Any time to make attack frames?
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
scott

Post by scott »

Shadow made a dwarf that looked like the all-time dwarf emperor of the galaxy he was so impressive. Try a search.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

King arthur's is good, but...

The axehead should be closer to his hands; right now, if you stood up the axe, it would be taller than he is.

The red and yellow are a bit too bright. Tone them down a bit, and maybe use grey for the axehead instead of red.

I think his cape should be purple not tan. Purple is the color of royalty, tan is the color of travelers.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

A dwarf can use an axe as big as a polearm because he is just that savage.

I don't think they would use shiny crowns, maybe a more silver or steel-like tone?
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I don't care how big you or an axe is, that is NOT how you hold one.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Good afternoon!

I really like it! It would be even funnier than that. See, in the campaign, the goal is to ultimately become a dwarf king, so it would be fun if you actually also came to look like one. Thus, this would make an excellent image for the lvl 3 with leadership. Maybe make the axe grey instead of red, but otherwise, it's very good (p.s. he holds it funny because he's really strong, that's why he's the king...).

Thanks, King Arthur!
Draconio

Post by Draconio »

On the subject of the axe, it also looks rather bent. The axe head should probably be on a bit of an angle rather than straight up and down.
King Arthur

Post by King Arthur »

How about this?
Attachments
dwarf-king-attack2.png
dwarf-king-attack2.png (3.38 KiB) Viewed 5906 times
dwarf-king-attack1r.png
dwarf-king-attack1r.png (3 KiB) Viewed 5914 times
dwarf-king-003.png
dwarf-king-003.png (3.17 KiB) Viewed 5906 times
"Waes-hael! for Lord and Dame! O! merry be their Dole; Drink-hael! in Jesu's name, And fill the tawny bowl."
King Arthur
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Good morning!

I like it, I really do. Could you just make exactly the same attack frames with a hammer instead of a axe (he has both attacks) and a defending stance? I'd use them right away.

Incidentally, I've just thought of something, the dwarf noble could just be exactly the same except without the crown.

Thanks a lot King Arthur. The only thing I've posted yet about the campaign is a short and highly rough-draft version. I'm currently working on a new version which will be longer and (in my humble opinion) better.
King Arthur

Post by King Arthur »

turin wrote:I think his cape should be purple not tan. Purple is the color of royalty, tan is the color of travelers.
I didn't like his cape too, but it was suposed to be golden.
Can anyone teach me how to make a good cape?

Made beard longer and removed saturation and light from clothes.
Attachments
dwarf-king-004.png
dwarf-king-004.png (2.96 KiB) Viewed 5860 times
dwarf-king-attack1-002.png
dwarf-king-attack1-002.png (2.89 KiB) Viewed 5847 times
dwarf-king-attack2-002.png
dwarf-king-attack2-002.png (3.59 KiB) Viewed 5859 times
King Arthur
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

King Arthur wrote:
turin wrote:I think his cape should be purple not tan. Purple is the color of royalty, tan is the color of travelers.
I didn't like his cape too, but it was suposed to be golden.
Can anyone teach me how to make a good cape?

Made beard longer and removed saturation and light from clothes.
Teaching is good. I like capes the unit looks impressive and it covers parts which must be animated otherwise at the action frames. It is also cool if the cape moves a little when the unit attacks or a sidestep to defend. Capes get folded if you move them the inner side of a cape has darker colors(unfinished-ranger) than the outside and mostly the weight is low I like it if it looks like it´s moved by the wind the unit looks a lot dynamical and moved(unfinished-ranger). Ever seen Spawn or read a comic with him his cape is really cool perhaps not realistic but who cares. So if you know how the cape is placed choose your colors. One single color or two colored areas which flood together with different colors(1 and 2). Grey and dark green for example white and blue some colors which are next to each other. A single color is easy and also looks good again the color is important (3,4,5). A darker green is easy to handle(3) make with a small blackbrush the slots (folds) and with a white one the highlights you know a cape is not very often flat. White is even more easy but you should never use pure white use instead a light grey or a very bright blue. Dark Red is more difficult because you can´t use a white brush you would get pink and the unit would look like a pig you can add some folds with the black brush and then you must push some pixels with the pen some orange but more brighter red but not to flashy. Many do the mistakes that they change every single pixel and in the end it looks blurred and unshaded it sounds odd you must have at least an area of 4-5 pixels with the same color else it isn´t viewable on the normal size. Heightened it might look good but not in the real size you must use another window with the normal size to view your work. Than think about form where comes the light from. In these areas the colors must be lighter. On standing frames you don´t see much of the cape thats why I like to let it be moved by the wind these gives me more area to work the details out but this is personal taste.

Note I´ve lend some pictures from shadow because I haven´t got more at the moment and some are at least a few examples of the things I mentioned above
Attachments
example.png
example.png (20.2 KiB) Viewed 5789 times
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Good morning!

First of all, sorry for resurrecting a very old thread...

1. I've made the graphics for the dwarf noble and dwarf lord. Being some of my first real artwork, I would appreciate it if some of the more artitically oriented people on the forum to give me some opinions. They are very obviously edits on the steelclad and standard lord, but I think they are different enough.

2. I am really stuck on the cannon. The funny thing with me is, I have a very hard time doing things from scratch, but I can edit things pretty nicely. If someone would give me only a rough draft, it would be very useful.

Thanks in advance
Attachments
Isn't he a dandy?
Isn't he a dandy?
dwarven-noble.png (2.03 KiB) Viewed 5632 times
dwarven-noble-attack1.png
dwarven-noble-attack1.png (2.64 KiB) Viewed 5622 times
dwarven-noble-attack2.png
dwarven-noble-attack2.png (3.01 KiB) Viewed 5621 times
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

And the lord. He's even more of a dandy.

(I haven't included the defend actions, that I also use as leading images, because it would have meant three posts...)
Attachments
dwarven-lord.png
dwarven-lord.png (1.99 KiB) Viewed 5605 times
dwarven-lord-attack1.png
dwarven-lord-attack1.png (2.61 KiB) Viewed 5612 times
dwarven-lord-attack2.png
dwarven-lord-attack2.png (2.65 KiB) Viewed 5613 times