Selected cavewall transitions

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
scott

Selected cavewall transitions

Post by scott »

When I was doing the river ford, I made a serious effort to try and understand terrain-graphics.cfg, but I didn't get very far. However, maybe someone will be able to do this properly:

If you change this text

Code: Select all

# Cave and dwarven castles
{DISABLE_TRANSITIONS W}
{DISABLE_TRANSITIONS o}
{TERRAIN_ADJACENT_CORNER       W      !WoK   !WoK    54,72 cavewall-convex}
{TERRAIN_ADJACENT_CORNER       !WoK   W      W       54,72 cavewall-concave}
to this

Code: Select all

# Cave and dwarven castles
{DISABLE_TRANSITIONS W}
{DISABLE_TRANSITIONS o}
{TERRAIN_ADJACENT_CORNER       W      !WoKC   !WoKC    54,72 cavewall-convex}
{TERRAIN_ADJACENT_CORNER       !WoKC   W      W       54,72 cavewall-concave}
You'll be able to put the loyalist castle on top of the cavewall. It won't blend in like the dwarf castle but it will sit on top of everything. At first I tried to get it to look like the dwarvish castle (blending in), but then I thought this might be better. Images below. I'll post the loyalist castle blend-in code if I can get it to work corretly.

I suppose non-dwarven castles should also blend in to the cavewall since cavewall is being used above ground in the place of impassable mountains, and castles are built into mountains. In the images I posted either way works.

EDIT: Just so it's clear, the image on the right is the current way that I'm trying to get rid of - where the castle shows up over the cave terrain and under the transitions, instead of vice-versa
Last edited by scott on July 2nd, 2005, 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
scott

Post by scott »

It will be a while before I get to the blend-in style because of the millions of blades of grass I own need to be mercilessly mutilated - before I'm put to work indoors :( . I'll put the results in this post.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Attila

Post by Attila »

I like it. It gives a very nice giantic tower feel.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Yes, we need to do something with cave wall since it's used for purposed it wasn't designed for. I will look into making a new unpassable terrain, but in the meantime some workarounds like this one can be used.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Having some unpassable terrain which fits the scale of the rest of the outdoor scenery would be really great. Looking forward to more stunning images -- perhaps some steep cliffs, or badlands?
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Attila

Post by Attila »

ott wrote:Having some unpassable terrain which fits the scale of the rest of the outdoor scenery would be really great. Looking forward to more stunning images -- perhaps some steep cliffs, or badlands?
I'd like cliffs, a seperate terrain that ends up being a lot like the canyon terrain is now.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Attila wrote:
ott wrote:Having some unpassable terrain which fits the scale of the rest of the outdoor scenery would be really great. Looking forward to more stunning images -- perhaps some steep cliffs, or badlands?
I'd like cliffs, a seperate terrain that ends up being a lot like the canyon terrain is now.
Except something you can't fly over.