Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Dark Sorcerer

Post by fmunoz »

Sometimes even necromancers are afraid to die... and get wimpy before turning themselves in an undead lich.
Then a Dark sorcerer is born.. weaker than his undead equivalent still has some advantages of being a living being...
The current graphic seems too crappy for a 3rd level unit...so I did another one.. based on it and on the Wonderfull sprites done by Neorice.
All animation frames will be posted here (easy task as I'll base them in current set)
Attachments
undead-sorcerer.png
undead-sorcerer.png (2 KiB) Viewed 4335 times
Attila

Post by Attila »

Nice I like it a lot more than the current one, which looks like a level 2 unit.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

I think he looks a little bit too "heavy" for a fragile mage especially for a Necromancer.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

wayfarer wrote:I think he looks a little bit too "heavy" for a fragile mage especially for a Necromancer.
The necromancer is really a resilient archer-type of unit, and this guy has a huge poncho, so I think it looks just fine.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

wayfarer wrote:I think he looks a little bit too "heavy" for a fragile mage especially for a Necromancer.
Necromancer in Wesnoth are not fragile.. they have soo many hp...
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

fmunoz wrote:
Necromancer in Wesnoth are not fragile.. they have soo many hp...
An old cliché of mine. I always imagine them with waxen faces and more bones than flesh.
It´s hard to overcome old habits.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Better than current, i think. I wonder if more osaments or symbols of power can be added instead of only the poncho.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Yeah, the Dark Sorcerer actually has 80 HP. That's as much as an Orcish Warlord has.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I like the current dark sorcerer graphic better, but that's cause I'm used to my mages looking thin and slightly frail.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

The snake-like thing coiled around the staff always reminds me of healing, not necromancy. IMO the necromantic line should have a different sort of staff, maybe with a set of skulls or bones dangling from it.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

maybe some sort of bat wings at tip, with crystal suspended between? I'll try to do that,
... if you don't mind, of course.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

I just used the "old" sorcerer staff so no chanes (other than colour) there... but the wing things could be a good idea... I'll try later or tomorrow
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The one thing I'd like to see done is the removal of the skull from the outfit.

It looked good before, but now looks a little silly given all the other changes.

I wouldn't mind the complete transformation of the staff head at all, as it would be much more appropriate for ... say ... the naga.
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

I think the whole unit is a bit to small, his head is very tiny compared to other units.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

new staff?

and the head isn't small, its just covered uo, IMO
Attachments
undead-sorcerer.png
undead-sorcerer.png (2.15 KiB) Viewed 4034 times
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well