Farms... with crops

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
wildcorn

Farms... with crops

Post by wildcorn »

After I put up those fences (http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6349), I decided I needed something to protect, why not farmlands?

With a few variations of farmland (different sizes and shapes) it should be easy to make the in-game villages a little bit more interesting.
Attachments
Farm + House + Fence Mockup
Farm + House + Fence Mockup
farm_multihex_example.png (36.91 KiB) Viewed 6173 times
Farm Multihex Tile
Farm Multihex Tile
multihex_farm.png (3.93 KiB) Viewed 6175 times
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

As a stand alone piece it looks good, but in the actual example it needs a lot of work. It doesn't match the perspective of either the village or the wall, and it is in close proximety to both.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Yes but I think the villages also haven´t got the right alignment only the temple and the desert villages got the right perspective.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
wildcorn

Post by wildcorn »

I agree it doesn't match the perspective of the house, but it looks to match the wall to me.

I haven't worried to much about the homes though, because there was a post about a replacing old graphics with updated perspective ones. Its got a perspective closer to the awesome mountain tile (http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5603), as I think thats sort of the future of wesnoth graphics, while the house is just waiting for someone to come along and redo it.
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

mabye a small brown or red barn on the farm itself to give it more realism..
wildcorn

Post by wildcorn »

I was thinking some varient farms would have things like that, so a map editor can sort of pick and choose the right pieces to make bigger or smaller farms.

On the otherhand, there seems to be a shortage of available letters for tiles.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I think it looks too much like a modern farm, however you can probably get away with it.

Also, I do think that different scale farms would be necessary, as the size of a hex varies with each scenario.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Personally I think it looks great. Maybe show an image of it in a full game screenshot?
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
wildcorn

Fullscreen in game mockup

Post by wildcorn »

Attached is a fullscreen mockup.

Again, it seems to match the perspective of the landscape, but not the perspective of the houses. Theres a few other problems with it, namely the brightness.

The screencapture is from The South Guard campaign (converted to 256 color, so it might be distorted slightly).
Attachments
Farm placed into a screencapture
Farm placed into a screencapture
farm_phony_in_game_pngcrush.png (241.11 KiB) Viewed 6094 times
aelius

Post by aelius »

Hey hey, I know that campaign. One of the things that I think makes your farm stand out (and not in the good way) is the scale. It looks a lot like a farm seen from an airplane. Would it be possible for you to work one up that's more or less the same scale as the trees?

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Is a ''crops'' tile doable?.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Gafgarion drew some type of farm here, before the forum crash wiped it out: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1059 .
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Breeblebox

Post by Breeblebox »

Looks cool. Are the field edges parallel to the se/nw hex edges? Looks a little askew, but maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Edit: this is what I mean...
Attachments
farm_multihex_example_209.png
farm_multihex_example_209.png (44.34 KiB) Viewed 6051 times
Bear, as in Fozzy,Bare, as in Arms,Beer, as in Free.
Distro | Browser
wildcorn

Post by wildcorn »

The farm goes from different verticies on the two hexes it occupies. This was done to sort of 'eliminate the grid'.

I'll probably create an alternative farm crop tile sometime tomorrow, and see how that looks.
pstradomski

Post by pstradomski »

I think it may confuse players, just as new mountaint tiles. It's important to be able to tell edges of grid hexes.