last_fight_of_haldric's_father

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
grp21

last_fight_of_haldric's_father

Post by grp21 »

i start drawing story scene, between map, for TROW here is the first one : the last fight of haldric's father.
there is also this topic that i didn't well understand : http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5385
did u decide that all the "story scene" must be on this parchement?
Attachments
last_fight_of-the-king2.jpg
last_fight_of-the-king2.jpg (69.71 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
grp21

Post by grp21 »

blurish version
Attachments
last_fight_of-the-king_blur.jpg
last_fight_of-the-king_blur.jpg (74.34 KiB) Viewed 3504 times
Disto

Post by Disto »

Nice!
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
scott

Post by scott »

No, what you did is great. He might decide to put it in a frame since the Heir to the Throne campaign images are (if memory serves).
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

I like the first one very much, awesome work, fits greatly.

I don't like the blurred version so much, actually it looks less blurred and more contrast on the black outlines...
Polaris

Post by Polaris »

:shock: Excellent! Both of them are great, although I do slightly prefer the unblurred image... ;)
Standing With So Cold A Heart... Watching The Death Of The Sun...
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Really really beautiful, and I think tbe blurred image looks better. It looks less like it was made with a computer and more like it was drawn by hand. To me the light patches on the orc's skin really stand out in the non-blurred version. I'm sure Shade would love for you to do more story images.
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

I like them both, though I think I have a mild preference for the blurred one. To my eye, it looks a little more 3D, and a little less cartoony, somehow.

One side comment: I don't know what the green creature is, but in this thread, there is a comment from Jetryl that you might want to take into consideration:
Jetryl wrote:No green orcs. Green orcs bad.
Save the green for the saurians.
On the other hand, if it came down to a choice between having green orcs or having this picture, I'd happily give Jetryl the raspberry! :)
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Arthelorn

Post by Arthelorn »

I think the green thing is a troll...
scott

Post by scott »

If you could get the first one's sharp lines into the blurred version, it would be perfect.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

A couple of posts, on different topics.

First, there's a technique this picture would really benefit from: Colored Line Art
The lines that separate the different cell-shaded sections of this picture don't all have to be jet black, in fact if some of them are quite a distance from it, they can quite improve the picture.

I've attached an example where I (crudely) applied this technique to the ... ogres, I assume.

There is a tutorial which describes how to do this here:
http://www.howtodrawmanga.com/tutorial/tutorial.html
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Arthelorn wrote:I think the green thing is a troll...
And frankly, I think there's nothing wrong with green trolls, or pale blue trolls. Our current color is fine. (Don't stretch this ad absurdum - there would be something wrong with trolls in pastel :P.)
Jetrel

Re: last_fight_of_haldric's_father

Post by Jetrel »

grp21 wrote:i start drawing story scene, between map, for TROW here is the first one : the last fight of haldric's father.
Congratulations - it's a very nice picture, and something that we really need.
I wish we had more contributors like you.
grp21 wrote:there is also this topic that i didn't well understand : http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5385
did u decide that all the "story scene" must be on this parchement?
I decided that all Heir to the Throne story scenes, and all official maps, must be on that parchment. I'd encourage people to try and make other stuff that would fit on it, but if you can come up with something that looks good, and is consistent (within a campaign) - who cares?

Also, a wooden frame is a separate consideration from the parchment texture the maps will be matte'd onto. A wooden frame could be added to maps for certain campaigns to fit with the story scenes of that campaign.

Making something that is matte'd onto a parchment texture is a stylistic consideration, and we can figure out whether these would look better that way after you make them. You just keep making good pictures. :)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

For example - this is a possible thing you could do with source art like that.

I don't know if it's "better" (and in this case, I think a frame actually might look good), but it's something to think about.

Right now, it doesn't matter what we decide use as the "end product" for art like this - the important thing is that we get the art in the first place. We need to put the horse before the cart, as they say. To that end, THANK YOU grp21 - Keep up the good work.
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

:shock: Wow a quadruple post.

Err, I mean; Nice art work Jetryl and Grp21.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience