Northeners

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

scott wrote:The question is do you change the naked orc to look like the in-game orc or vice-versa?
Well, I think there is more of a chance of the naked orc changing, since any changes to the current orcs would have to go through Jetryl.

Also, I kind of prefer the current orcs.. I've always thought orcs were supposed to be short, squat and muscular (though not as much as dwarves), not tall and gangly.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

This orc looks like an upgrade of the sea-orc(seriosly)
Sorry for the meaningless post
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

Yeah, I think it might be a good idea to aim for a slightly more wesnothy sprite.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

turin wrote:
scott wrote:The question is do you change the naked orc to look like the in-game orc or vice-versa?
Well, I think there is more of a chance of the naked orc changing, since any changes to the current orcs would have to go through Jetryl.

Also, I kind of prefer the current orcs.. I've always thought orcs were supposed to be short, squat and muscular (though not as much as dwarves), not tall and gangly.
I like the current orcs as well.

There's nothing wrong with Shadow's orc, from a perspective of technique, the only problems with him have mostly to do with proportion.

Orcs need to be more "swarthy", I think would be the word. He should slightly short, but with very broad shoulders. It's ok, and possibly good, if he's a little fat. He should be built not like a ninja, but like a dirty pirate.

Honestly, right now the build of the fellow suggests more of an elf than an orc, if you changed the colors around.

Also, as has been said, give him a curved sword, and make it a dull color, like those of the other orcs.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

To make the point of his build being wrong more clear, I've attached the following. This character has the body shape of an elf, not of an orc.

That said, I should also note something else I realized when tweaking this - I know, from seeing it magnified, that the belt buckle is supposed to be a skull, but it doesn't look like one under normal magnification. The bridge of it - the nose and all, doesn't show up.

When you do pixel art, always have one window open with the image at magnified size, and another at in-game size. Be wary of the built-in "mini" palette window, such as what photoshop has and calls the navigator (the utility window that offers an overhead view of the entire image). Very often, for small images, these will distort the image somewhat. They normally shrink images, since almost all images are smaller than they are, but most people don't realize that for images smaller than they are, they actually magnify the image, and photoshop does it with the incredibly nasty-looking nearest-neighbor sizing.
Hearold

Post by Hearold »

That elf guy looks pretty cool actually!
Maybe you could work him into the 'evolution' tree of, say, the elfish fighter.
Walk softly, carry a big stick.

--Theodore Roosevelt
Disto

Post by Disto »

No that was not the idea and it wouldn't work, Jetryl is just showing why it can't be a orc.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Disto wrote:No that was not the idea and it wouldn't work, Jetryl is just showing why it can't be a orc.
Well, it actually might not work so bad at all - this fellow kinda reminds me of Warcraft's "Illidan", minus the ridiculous weaponry.

Still, though, he'd definitely need something to tone down that pasty white skin of his, which is why I wouldn't have most elves running around without shirts.

Really - you give this fellow a shirt of chain mail and he would make a fairly decent special character for the elves.
------

Back to the task at hand, though. If I were shadow, I would take the existing L2 orcish warrior, and edit away his armor. I would actually keep the shoulderpads, and the pants, but I would lose the helmet, and most other stuff. His sword usage would also change from 2 swords to one bigger sword.

A decent bare orcish head will be a hard thing to come up with, and I'm happy to help directly on that part.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Jetryl wrote:
Disto wrote:No that was not the idea and it wouldn't work, Jetryl is just showing why it can't be a orc.

Back to the task at hand, though. If I were shadow, I would take the existing L2 orcish warrior, and edit away his armor. I would actually keep the shoulderpads, and the pants, but I would lose the helmet, and most other stuff. His sword usage would also change from 2 swords to one bigger sword.

A decent bare orcish head will be a hard thing to come up with, and I'm happy to help directly on that part.
Interesting edit :)

I´ve recognized it myself these guy won´t work for an orc.

A new try this time nearer to the Warrior although his haircut isn´t very original. But he it´s just the first version
Attachments
orcish-warrior.png
orcish-warrior.png (6.38 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Nothsa

Post by Nothsa »

Totally off topic, for which I aplogize in advance, but Jetryl, who or what is that iconic guy glowering under your handle?
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Nothsa wrote:Totally off topic, for which I aplogize in advance, but Jetryl, who or what is that iconic guy glowering under your handle?
And why does it keep changing slightly?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Shadow wrote:
Jetryl wrote: ....

Interesting edit :)

I´ve recognized it myself these guy won´t work for an orc.

A new try this time nearer to the Warrior although his haircut isn´t very original. But he it´s just the first version
back on topic.
very cool.
Draconio

Post by Draconio »

Yes, the new guy is much more orcish looking... maybe his hair would look better if you made it look wild and messy. Nice work, though.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Nothsa wrote:Totally off topic, for which I aplogize in advance, but Jetryl, who or what is that iconic guy glowering under your handle?
A character I made up named Jetryl - incidentally, the name, it seems, is not of my own making. At this point I almost regret choosing him as my digital "nom de plume," since he's a much less caustic fellow than I tend to be at times, and also a much quieter one.

Someday, you might see him in a videogame - a very popular one, I hope.

In the meantime, I had been preparing him and one other for a little easter egg appearance in a wesnoth campaign I might make.

EP: he's only changed twice, at times when I wanted to revise his appearance to more correctly reflect his character. I'm still not totally happy with how he's turned out, but it's not like I have a deadline for finishing him any time soon.

Unlike Neo, I don't work on anything in the way of non-wesnoth sprites, and even compared to him, almost everything I do is directly made with the intent of being in game (whether it is good enough to do so is another matter).

This is why his and my strengths compliment each other so well, since we tend to work on things that the other doesn't.

I do work occasionally on other non-sprite artwork, but that has been put on the back burner in the face of severe academic pressure, of late.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:P Back on topic, here is my edit of the orcish warrior:

His head was one of the toughest things to tweak - trying to maintain that savage look whilst avoiding the gorilla look.

Otherwise most of shadow's stuff was perfect.

I think this guy might be done - all he needs now is animation. :)