Northeners

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Good, except for the white doggy muzzle.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

romnajin wrote:Good, except for the white doggy muzzle.
Those were meant to be teeth, but welcome to the world of sprite art, and why "pixel art is damn hard" as attilla titled his thread.

Let's take another swing at it, shall we...
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

The image looks great, although his skin color makes him look more like a human barbarian than an orcish warrior. I'd prefer a greener skin color. Is this supposed to be a new orcish unit or a replacement for the orcish grunt?
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

quartex wrote:The image looks great, although his skin color makes him look more like a human barbarian than an orcish warrior. I'd prefer a greener skin color. Is this supposed to be a new orcish unit or a replacement for the orcish grunt?
It´s a new brunch for the grunts
look here for something more green (and the reason why he got brown)
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
Jetryl wrote:
romnajin wrote:Good, except for the white doggy muzzle.
Those were meant to be teeth, but welcome to the world of sprite art, and why "pixel art is damn hard" as attilla titled his thread.

Let's take another swing at it, shall we...

:mrgreen:
I got the same problem with these teeths

Nice Face

Well animations are now the smaller part.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

It is awesome, and I can't wait to see it in-game, but... the eyes look like he's been smoking something. Really. He stares quite... madly at the viewer...

Although it actually adds some humour to the pic... :D
scott

Post by scott »

Oh yeah. Should he be turned to the right? Is this a L2 or L3? If L2, maybe he should get a different weapon if the grunt upgrade is going to have something besides blade for damage.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

scott wrote:Oh yeah. Should he be turned to the right? Is this a L2 or L3? If L2, maybe he should get a different weapon if the grunt upgrade is going to have something besides blade for damage.
Perhaps Impact these heavy sword could be used like a club.
Attachments
orcish-Crusher.comp.png
orcish-Crusher.comp.png (12.04 KiB) Viewed 2901 times
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Shadow wrote:
scott wrote:Oh yeah. Should he be turned to the right? Is this a L2 or L3? If L2, maybe he should get a different weapon if the grunt upgrade is going to have something besides blade for damage.
Perhaps Impact these heavy sword could be used like a club.
I see no reason for it not to do blade damage.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

greatsword (blade)
13-2 melee
greatsword (impact)
stun
20-1 melee
HP: 45

Not as quick with blades as their Warrior counterparts, Orcish Crushers instead wield fearsome greatswords with which they can smash their enemies into submission. However, they have to give up their armor to be able to lift such huge weapons.

(this next guy's image is waving the sword around in the air, not just leaning it on the ground.)
greatsword (blade)
15-3 melee
greatsword (impact)
stun
20-2 melee
HP: 58

Orcish Destroyers are the strongest of the strong. They wield their greatswords with such ferocity that even an armored Warlord would be afraid to stand against one. Not only can they slice and dice all opposition, but they can also crush them with mighty blows that render them unable to respond in kind.

Note, however, that their maximum damage in melee, ranged, and their HP are all significantly less than the Warlord's.
Last edited by Elvish_Pillager on April 13th, 2005, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
scott

Post by scott »

Maybe you should mention how he needs to ditch the armor to wield his sword.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Elvish_Pillager

scott wrote:Maybe you should mention how he needs to ditch the armor to wield his sword.
Ah yes. I shall edit that into my post.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

I thought this was going to be an alternate for the warrior, not the wallord. In which case the stats should probably be toned down a little.

I know EP is in love with his own "stun" proposal, but A) it's not actually in the game yet, AFAIK, and B) I don't actually like the proposal that much. (I'm allowed to say that outside of the "ideas" forum, aren't I?) It's too much like slow, IMO. Why not just use slow, and mention in the description that the impact is so fierce that it stuns the victim, slowing him down?

Anyway, if anyone is going to hit so hard that the victim is stunned, I think it should be the ogre, not a mere orc, no matter how tough an orc he is.

The new art is beautiful - I'm ready to start using this guy in my still-too-buggy-to-show-the-world campaign. :)

Orcs rule! Elvies drool! :twisted:
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Elvish Pillager wrote:greatsword (blade)
13-2 melee
greatsword (impact)
stun
20-1 melee
HP: 45

Not as quick with blades as their Warrior counterparts, Orcish Crushers instead wield fearsome greatswords with which they can smash their enemies into submission. However, they have to give up their armor to be able to lift such huge weapons.

(this next guy's image is waving the sword around in the air, not just leaning it on the ground.)
greatsword (blade)
15-3 melee
greatsword (impact)
stun
20-2 melee
HP: 58

Orcish Destroyers are the strongest of the strong. They wield their greatswords with such ferocity that even an armored Warlord would be afraid to stand against one. Not only can they slice and dice all opposition, but they can also crush them with mighty blows that render them unable to respond in kind.

Note, however, that their maximum damage in melee, ranged, and their HP are all significantly less than the Warlord's.
I don´t know if a lv 3 is needed. But the stats are good.

At the moment only the lv 2 exists. The death animations will follow
Last edited by Shadow on August 19th, 2005, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elvish_Pillager

xtifr wrote:I thought this was going to be an alternate for the warrior, not the wallord. In which case the stats should probably be toned down a little.
Huh? I gave stats for both levels...
xtifr wrote:It's too much like slow, IMO.
Part of the idea is that it's combat oriented rather than support oriented. That is, stun only works in the combat that is currently taking place.
xtifr wrote:Why not just use slow, and mention in the description that the impact is so fierce that it stuns the victim, slowing him down?
No real problem there, it's just not as cool.
xtifr wrote:Anyway, if anyone is going to hit so hard that the victim is stunned, I think it should be the ogre, not a mere orc, no matter how tough an orc he is.
Ogres are wimps. They're level 2, but they can only do a wimpy 30 damage maximum, with no abilities attached either. They don't even have a ranged attack. Only a troll, not a ogre, could do such a thing.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

A level 2 branch for the orcish grunt looks cool. I always like branches (like the lancer and javalineer) that stop at level 2. Loyalists and rebels and undead have them, why not give a similar branch to the northeners?