Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

1.15/1.16 portrait edits

Post by doofus-01 »

This is a meta-thread to https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52697

This is for some edits to get existing things I did that need some work to get in line with the 2020 Grand Portrait List. I'm not editing anyone else's work here, and any new images will be in another thread.

Revision to Naga dirkfang to make it stand out less (though it won't look like exactly like the fighter etc.) and edits to the scorpion image so that the scorpling and scorpion don't share an image. The scorpion-elder is WIP, the bumps look a bit too much like rivets, among other things, but the general idea is there.
Attachments
scorpion-elder.png
scorpion-elder.png (103.8 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
dirkfang-rev2.png
dirkfang-rev2.png (146.22 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: 1.15/1.16 portrait edits

Post by LordBob »

Looking good for the Dirkfang. Colors are completely different from a saurian now, plus the skin and tail give a clear likeness to the fighters while the green crest and head provide a nice accent.

The scorpion could do with more differenciation, though. I see the bumps and the added crest on its back, but if I put the two images side by side it still takes some focus to tell which is which. I think it needs a prominent feature that reads at a glance even in small format. Something that will change its silhouette, or overall color pattern. Large spikes or protuberances on the claws, or maybe with age color variations have appeared on all or part of the shell.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

LordBob wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 8:37 am The scorpion could do with more differenciation, though. I see the bumps and the added crest on its back, but if I put the two images side by side it still takes some focus to tell which is which. I think it needs a prominent feature that reads at a glance even in small format. Something that will change its silhouette, or overall color pattern. Large spikes or protuberances on the claws, or maybe with age color variations have appeared on all or part of the shell.
Revised it a bit more. Flipping back and forth between the two in the help menu (I think that's the best test for something like this?) it looks derivative, but still different.
scorpion-elder.png:
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Much better now ! The spikier claws give off an added threat, I like it.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !