Kurumim Portraits / Art Contribuition ( Fencer Units )

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Kurumim Portraits / Art Contribuition ( Fencer Units )

Post by doofus-01 »

beetlenaut wrote: May 12th, 2019, 3:48 am
Kurumim wrote: May 12th, 2019, 3:19 am about the other lvls ( Duelist and Master at Arms ) Should i try to polish them too?
I'd like to see a female fencer first if it's all the same to you. I like what you did with the male, but improving portraits that are already of a usable quality is a lower priority I think.
Same here. The existing fencer was fine, tweaks to it could be cool for UMC, but don't misdirect your efforts. Go for the female fencer! (Or dunefolk.)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Kurumim wrote: May 12th, 2019, 3:19 am
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 12th, 2019, 1:03 am Doubly so if the gender with the dynamic pose is the female and it trends towards the kind of back-breaking poses you see on comic books. (Which I think wasn't the case with this sketch, fortunately, though I'm not quite sure.)
Thanks for the feedback <3 :lol: dont worry, that sure wasn't the case. I haven't decided yet wich stance i'll be working with ( 'cause you all have pointed out really good thoughts/arguments ) but the second sketch is just meant to give more flow to the drawing, and the third one was inspired by that concept. Wich is a fencer character from league of legends. I'm also not a fan of arts that do not respect the basic anatomy.
Um, I'm pretty sure that is one of those back-breaking poses I'm talking about, though your sketch does at least seem to tone it down, so that's good.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Kurumim

Post by Kurumim »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 12th, 2019, 7:30 pm Um, I'm pretty sure that is one of those back-breaking poses I'm talking about, though your sketch does at least seem to tone it down, so that's good.
It might just be me, but this doesnt really look like this IMO. But i understand what you saying, i guess there's no point arguing about it since i wont be using the third sketch for now, anyway. I took your advice and tried to create one that reminded more of the male one stance, i just tried to put it from "another angle", and i think that for now it seems to work fine. What u guys think?

Also, i was wondering if i should try to put the red band the male is using in her too, i really don't know what it's for but i think i'd be a cool idea to make she wears it but in a different way, like tied to her arm or belt, or something like that.

The Sketch may seem a bit different from the male one, but once i get to the painting process i'll try to make'em look alike as much as i can in style and vibe.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Nice so far. The face and hair are looking great. I think she should have a sword with an ornate hilt like the man does though. Not identical, but of a similar style. Swords used for fencing tended to look like that.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

AWESOME !

EDIT: I was tempted to just write "awesome", but I feel like I just have to congratulate you even further on your impressive work. This character is already coming together really well and you have gotten it to look very similar to the original fencer which is great! I also agree with beetlenaut that the face looks great!

Also I think you chose the right pose. Dynamic and interesting but not too different from the classic portrayal.
ghype

Post by ghype »

I love it. I can only agree with the comments earlier.

About the red cape. Why wouldn't she wear at is like a cape, just that its not that big as a usual/royal cape.
Considering that the sprites do wear actually have normal capes ...

Maybe something like this?
Attachments
G2qO2lZ Kopie.png
G2qO2lZ Kopie.png (88.83 KiB) Viewed 4905 times
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I like it, go for it! :D
sergey

Post by sergey »

The portrait looks promising! Would be cool if it will be finished and mainlined.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Kurumim wrote: May 12th, 2019, 9:49 pm
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 12th, 2019, 7:30 pm Um, I'm pretty sure that is one of those back-breaking poses I'm talking about, though your sketch does at least seem to tone it down, so that's good.
It might just be me, but this doesnt really look like this IMO. But i understand what you saying,
Yeah, that Fiora one is less egregious than the Wonder Woman for example, but I think it is still trending in the same direction, and seeing the Fiora drawing alongside those two photos kinda makes it clear in my opinion. Still, even if you used Fiora as inspiration, your sketch did not take it to the level of the original, so I think your pose is fine. (The current sketch too.)
Kurumim wrote: May 12th, 2019, 9:49 pm Also, i was wondering if i should try to put the red band the male is using in her too, i really don't know what it's for but i think i'd be a cool idea to make she wears it but in a different way, like tied to her arm or belt, or something like that.
I think that might be some kind of heraldic thing or something, so it might be difficult to find a good alternate way for her to wear it. Is there some problem with her wearing it in the same way as the male fencer?

(Ghype, I'm pretty sure it's not a cape by the way.)

Oh and yeah, the hilt definitely needs to be more ornate.
ghype

Post by ghype »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 15th, 2019, 4:57 am Is there some problem with her wearing it in the same way as the male fencer?
Wouldn't it mess with the shape of the female body ( breast / belly ). Not sure it will look as good if you stamp it over it.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 15th, 2019, 4:57 am (Ghype, I'm pretty sure it's not a cape by the way.)
fencer.png
fencer.png (1.22 KiB) Viewed 4793 times
If thats not a cape, then i don't know what else it could be
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 15th, 2019, 4:57 am
Kurumim wrote: May 12th, 2019, 9:49 pm Also, i was wondering if i should try to put the red band the male is using in her too, i really don't know what it's for but i think i'd be a cool idea to make she wears it but in a different way, like tied to her arm or belt, or something like that.
I think that might be some kind of heraldic thing or something, so it might be difficult to find a good alternate way for her to wear it. Is there some problem with her wearing it in the same way as the male fencer?
Might that band be a shoulder belt? According to wikipedia that's a functional part of the uniform, for carrying the sword, for example.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

ghype wrote: May 15th, 2019, 5:13 am
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 15th, 2019, 4:57 am (Ghype, I'm pretty sure it's not a cape by the way.)
If thats not a cape, then i don't know what else it could be
The sprite has a cape, yes. The portrait doesn't.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Since you are asking:

Female fencer is looking fine to me. Making a female fencer for Wesnoth is a meaningful addition to the game.

The sword looks like a ... sword. How about a rapier?

The thingy should not touch the right rim of the picture! Lord Bob once made a lancer without lance because he confused it. I do not want to see that again. Better fix it now.

Why did you ad so much smoke for the redshirt fencer? Does it look good on a dark background?