Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: Possible Mainline Sprite Portraits

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I didn't look over all the proposals in detail, but some thoughts:
  • The proposed outrider portrait looks really bad. The rider portrait is okay but looks kinda aged.
  • The elder mage doesn't really need a portrait. It's a core unit, yes, but it's basically Delfador. Probably the only reason for it to be in core is that he appears in multiple scenarios?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

What about NR's portraits that Valkier had worked on? What's up with them?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

This all looks really good to me! I support these ideas! If we have portraits we not use them :)
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Thanks for the support 😃, I am talking to the devs and we may get some of them implemented soon.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Thanks for your dedication.
A few comments :

- Royal Warrior : I agree with comments that we should not make generics out of key campaign figures. Replaced though he may be, that portrait still looks like Eldaric, so I would say no to using it as is. If someone were to cleanly remove/hide (with a shield ?) the helm in his hand and make his face less recognizable with a helm that hides it (partly or whole), then why not. Before that though, does the unit see much use in the first place ? (sincere question)

- Fire guardian : I don't remember exactly what I may have said in the past, but it is definitely below our present day standards. It won't be next week, but I can do one eventually.

- Water serpent : not exactly bad (quite detailed and polished in fact), but not stellar either. Possibly because the drawing/design could be improved. It does beat having no portrait at all and it's not like this unit ever gets much dialog anyway (does it ?). So why not. I'll replace it if an opportunity comes, though.

-Elvish rider/outrider : I'm ok with the proposed rider portrait as it's also one of Kitty's and so stylistically consistent (provided the original character isn't a key figure of its campaign). The outrider, no. I'd rather have a the proposed rider serve for both lvl2-lvl3

- Elder mage : I'd rather not use Perrin. It's not like the unit is fielded very often apart from Delfador, anyway.

- Great Troll/Troll Hero : I initially intended the proposed Troll Hero as a Great Troll portrait, so this is maybe where something went wrong. However, they don't look exactly like they're a single unit that evolved from one lvl to the next. Also I suspect there may be scenarios where multiple enemy bosses are of the same type and we want to differenciate them regardless of their lvl. Hence the choice to offer campaign creators an alternative rather than giving every unit its unique portrait.

- Orc Leader/Ruler (from your github issue): same comment as the troll hero above, it may be more interesting to have alternates than a dedicated portrait for each lvl. A couple of the orc grunts portraits could become ruler/leader types though, so I'm open to discussing that. Same as the Royal Warrior : does the unit see much use ?
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

LordBob wrote: April 15th, 2019, 10:58 pm Before that though, does the unit see much use in the first place ? (sincere question)
I don't know the answer to this question, but I do feel that the Royal Warrior is, like the Elder Mage, more of a common campaign unit that would have its portrait overridden by most campaigns that actually use it.
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

@LordBob- Thanks for replying. I was talking about several portraits like Lomarfel's (the rider) since I felt a lot of effort was spent on the art and it was hardly used.

About the Elder Mage, there are 2 prominent ones- Crelanu and Delfador. The former has a portrait resembling the unit's sprite, but as you said, we shouldn't mix generics and campaign specifics. I guess the unit is fine without a portrait. However, it currently uses the Arch Mage portrait as the default. Would it not be best to remove a portrait entirely since the usage of the Fire Mage's portrait for a Lightning-based Mage is rather awkward?

Also, what a do you think of the proposed portraits for the Orcish Leader? How about the one where the grunt has a sly, thoughtful look in his face? There are a couple of Rulers and Leaders- Draka-Kura from EI and some others I forgot. Also, UMCs often prefer Ruler's over Sovereigns as leaders for the Orcs at times, since they are weaker but represent a certain amount of authority nevertheless.

I'm guessing the bat portraits were too shoddy and aren't necessary. :P
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

If we did have levelled-up bat portraits, then the higher-level ones should look bigger and fiercer in addition to being a different colour, so yeah...
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Also, why does Ur-Thorodor have his own portrait- he speaks in only one scenario.We could use his for the Ancient Wose, The current Ancient Wose portrait for the Elder Wose, and the Elder Wose portrait for the Wose.

The reason I'm saying this is because it feels wrong to waste an artist's effort by barely using their artwork- This happens very often in THoT, where a Lancer who comes for saying only one line in the Epilogue gets his own portrait, despite it having a mainline one that is barely used itself.
ghype

Post by ghype »

LordBob wrote: April 15th, 2019, 10:58 pm - Water serpent : not exactly bad (quite detailed and polished in fact), but not stellar either. Possibly because the drawing/design could be improved. It does beat having no portrait at all and it's not like this unit ever gets much dialog anyway (does it ?). So why not. I'll replace it if an opportunity comes, though.
I take this as an approval which means I would start cleaning up that portrait. It would be used until LordBob decides to update it.
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

Make these, since these units either don't have their own portrait (or worst their own sprite) or they have the same one for the (nearly) whole lineage:
  • Drake Thrasher
  • Drake Arbiter
  • Drake Warrior
  • Fire Drake
  • Drake Flare
  • Sky Drake
  • Armageddon Drake
  • Elvish Rider
  • Elvish Outrider
  • Elvish Marshal
  • Elvish Champion
  • Elvish Enchantress
  • Elvish Avengers
  • Elvish Sharpshooters
  • Falcon
  • Elder Falcon
  • Gryphon Master
  • Goblin Knight
  • Boat
  • Galleon
  • Transport Galleon
  • Pirate Galleon
  • Giant Scorpion
  • Fire Dragon
  • Fire Guardian
  • Nagini Fighter portrait and sprite
  • Naga Warriors and Nagini Warrior sprite
  • Nagini Myrmidon portrait and sprite
  • Dwarvish Arcanister
  • Dwarvish Berserker
  • Dwarvish Steelclad
  • Dwarvish Pathfinder
  • Dwarvish Runesmith
  • Dwarvish Thunderguard
  • Dwarvish Stalwart
  • Merman Javelineer
  • Merman Entangler
  • Merman Warrior
  • Mermaid Diviner
  • Mermaid Siren
  • Chocobone
  • Necrophage
  • Ghast
  • Skeletal Dragon
  • Female Lich sprite, which should match the Brown Lich avatar
  • Ancient Lich (its actual portrait doesn't match its sprite at all)
  • New Soulless portraits, except, obviously, for the humanoid one
  • Orcish Ruler
  • Orcish Nightblade
  • Saurian Ambusher
  • Saurian Flanker
  • Saurian Oracle
  • Saurian Soothsayer
  • Great Troll portrait and sprite
  • Dark Sorcerers
  • Poacher
  • Great Mages
  • Rogues