Dunefolk Rework - Base Units

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ghype

Re: Dunefolk Rework - Base Units

Post by ghype »

So here is some more progress. Gnat, Lewis and me worked on finishing the TC on the herbalist line.
As some shades are incoherent shades of darkness/lightness but we will fix that in following updates.

herbalist-new-8.png
herbalist-new-8.png (5.17 KiB) Viewed 4690 times

apothecary-new-17.png
apothecary-new-17.png (5.95 KiB) Viewed 4690 times

healer_lv3-13.png
healer_lv3-13.png (6.37 KiB) Viewed 4690 times

apothecary-new-16-comparison.png
apothecary-new-16-comparison.png (15.05 KiB) Viewed 4690 times
Last edited by ghype on June 7th, 2019, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghype

Post by ghype »

Here is the adjusted shades of TC by The_Gat

TC.png
TC.png (11.89 KiB) Viewed 4622 times
ghype

Post by ghype »

the shield on the Luminary still wasn't quite right and the shield on the Apothecary looked terrible.
Here are improved versions.

apothecary-new-19.png
apothecary-new-19.png (5.92 KiB) Viewed 4566 times

healer_lv3-14.png
healer_lv3-14.png (6.47 KiB) Viewed 4566 times
ghype

Dunefolk Rework - Extra Units (wrong thread)

Post by ghype »

So I achieved to make it look better just by moving a couple of pixels down so he is having a similar grip just as he would hold a frisbee disk.
Now I know that thats not how you hold a frisbee disk, but it is a stance allowing the Naga not only throwing it by simple just moving his arm back and moving the hand sideways, but does the Naga have a chance to block melee attacks and use the chakram for close combat retaliation.

naga-lv2-chack-10.png
naga-lv2-chack-10.png (6.11 KiB) Viewed 4547 times

Now, for those who are still not satisfied, I made a version where the Naga wields a chakram in both hands. With this stance, the naga's right arm is obviosly ready to throw the chakram like a frisbee while using it's left chakram for close combat.
It's just that I planned to make the Lv3 with dual chakram and keep the lv2 with one only. If majority prefers lv2 with two chakrams then I have to find a new cool feature for the lv3.

naga-lv2-chack-11.png
naga-lv2-chack-11.png (6.17 KiB) Viewed 4547 times
Last edited by ghype on May 30th, 2019, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

ghype wrote: May 30th, 2019, 5:03 pm So I achieved to make it look better just by moving a couple of pixels down so he is having a similar grip just as he would hold a frisbee disk.
Now, for those who are still not satisfied, I made a version where the Naga wields a chakram in both hands. With this stance, the naga's right arm is obviosly ready to throw the chakram like a frisbee while using it's left chakram for close combat.
The first one is really good now IMHO, the version with two chakrams is possibly even better for "visual balance". Maybe the future attack animation could see the Naga throwing the one ready charkam and juggling the other to the now empty hand. I don't know if that's the correct method of throwing such weapons, I'm sure you have a better knowledge about it.
ghype wrote: May 30th, 2019, 5:03 pm It's just that I planned to make the Lv3 with dual chakram and keep the lv2 with one only. If majority prefers lv2 with two chakrams then I have to find a new cool feature for the lv3.
Maybe bigger, pointy (and golden?) chakrams, similar to big shuriken just to give the mental idea. Or scythed ones. I think the practicality of the weapon could be ignored in favor of "cool factor" in this case.
ghype

Re: Dunefolk Rework - Extra Units (wrong thread)

Post by ghype »

oh wow, i managed to post it in the wrong thread ...

thanks for your feedback. I will stick to the first version and try to find a solution for the lv3. I will keep posting on the right threads
ghype

Post by ghype »

Had some time to do lots of work for the Soldier line.
As discussed, we dropped the shield and gave it a second but smaller blade which works as the marksman attack. The Lv4 stance is a bit lackluster, but I didn't want to repeat lv3's stance though I guess it wouldn't be that dramatic. Lv3 Dune Emir stance looks good , but Lv2 Captain doesn't. The arms seem too short. Or maybe it's just me. Overhaul, still work needed here and there.

Soldier Lv1 - 2A
- improve shield
- recolour and resize blade

Swordsman Lv2 - 2B
- drop shield and and add second smaller blade instead
- redesign blades

- recolour blades

Bladesmaster Lv3 - 2C
- drop shield and and add second smaller blade instead
- redesign blades

- recolour blades
- remove face mask

Warmaster Lv4 - 2D
- beard not readable
- cloth between legs and cape TC not readable
- cloth between legs too long
- cloth between legs too aligned with other clothin
- redesign blades

- recolour blades

Captain lv2 - 1B
- redesign blades
- recolour blades
- arms seems unnatural

Emir lv3 - 1C
- arms seems unnatural
- redesign blades

- recolour blades

warmaster-7-comparison.png
warmaster-7-comparison.png (20.9 KiB) Viewed 4334 times
ghype

Post by ghype »

Ok so I received mixed feedback for the concepts of the Lv2 Swordsman and LV3 Bladesman (disregarding the Lv4 as it looks bad - the stance). Some find it good, other preferred the shielded version. I will try to resize the shield instead of removing it and attach a second blade on its back rather then having it hold both at the same time. This way he holds one of the two blades but still can choose wether he uses the big one for strong attack or the smaller, more balanced blade for marksman attacks.

For that I really need your feedback. Do the dual blades really look not so great?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

It might be due to the background, but it's somewhat hard to distinguish where the blades actually end. The bottom two either have the sword with the unit's shadow behind it(Captain) or have a harder outline to the blade(Emir).
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
ghype

Post by ghype »

Pentarctagon wrote: June 8th, 2019, 1:20 am It might be due to the background, but it's somewhat hard to distinguish where the blades actually end.
Yes, that is because the blade are not coloured in the yellow tint. That all would have be fixed and unified in the progress. But i was more worried about the general design concept of the sprite. I played around and tried to keep the best of both worlds. Dual blades and shield ... So i ended up having 5 different version, all slightly different. I will demonstrate the concepts on the Lv2 Swordsman. Once we decide upon one, I will apply it to the Lv3 Bladesmaster as well

(1)
This is pretty much the same as the last posted version, only that I now added two holster where the unit can keep his blades. One on the waist and one on the back.

(2)
I kept the holsters but introduced the shield in a smaller size. Now because of his second hand is not free as he is holding the shield, he is keeping his blade on the back and uses either the one or the other - depending on what he needs (strength or accuracy).

(3)
Same as the 2nd image only that the blade on the back is a bit more sunken into the back. The holster is not to be seen any more and all what's left visible from the front is the guard of the blade.

(4) + (5)
This is pretty much the same concept as (2) / (3) where the second blade is holstered not on the back but on the waist with the last version being more sunken in so not even the guard of the blade is visible.

swordsman-new-11-comparison.png
swordsman-new-11-comparison.png (12.39 KiB) Viewed 4260 times

All in all, my favorites as in concept are probably (3) and (5) as they feel the most natural. The new concept general feels more realistic and is more sophisticated. It gives the unit a unique look and it correspondents with the function of the unit role and balance.

Which are your favorites ?

Edit: remember these are just concepts. none of the are cleaned or finished yet.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I like 3. It is easier to see the sword than in 5, and in 2 he'd need very long arms to draw it.
ghype

Post by ghype »

cleanin (5) means making the blade pummel noticable
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I would say 4 or 5, since the sheath on his hip doesn't look long enough to hold the sword(s) he's wielding in 1-3.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
ghype

Post by ghype »

Well its not like i couldn elongate it. also the holster doesnt has to fully the cover the blade, right? it could just stick out the other side
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

I'd say (3) but for easier animation (unsheathing the second blade) it's probably best sticking with (5).
About the animation: I've tried to figure out how it would work, my best guess is that the second blade should be a sort of dagger to be handled with a "reverse grip" (I've done a little research and it could be a solution if needed; if you want I'll link and interesting page I found). I don't see how can the shielded arm unsheathe a sword from its position with ease.

I may be completely wrong in assuming this though, and maybe @ghype has already plans for the animation.