white gryphons

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I've been considering making a dwarf with an axe in one hand and thunderstick in the other... but then, I consider a lot of things. Like white gryphons.
Attachments
See? It's white.
See? It's white.
sky-knightv0.4.png (1.86 KiB) Viewed 3958 times
Last edited by Sangel on February 25th, 2005, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Sangel wrote: I consider a lot of things. Like white gryphons.
Personally, I like it.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

I liked the white griffin too
http://www.crystalinks.com/griffins.html
I'm not a number, I'm a free monkey
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Sangel wrote:I've been considering making a dwarf with an axe in one hand and thunderstick in the other... but then, I consider a lot of things. Like white gryphons.

Can you say level 3 gryphons? Yee-haw!
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Darth Fool wrote:
Sangel wrote:I've been considering making a dwarf with an axe in one hand and thunderstick in the other... but then, I consider a lot of things. Like white gryphons.

Can you say level 3 gryphons? Yee-haw!
Gryphon Paladin
68 HP
heals
claws(holy)
17-3 melee

:P
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

It's not that much of a joke EP, most games make griphons holy creatures, magic (card game) for example.
During Medieval times the griffin was either evil or good, depending on who you asked. Griffins in heraldry were almost always snarling and ready to strike out with their talons. In art of the time they are shown devouring sinners and ripping animals apart. In contrast to this, Church people saw the griffin as "a symbol of the earthly and divine natures of Christ".
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

Last edited by Burnsaber on February 27th, 2005, 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read about the adventurers of my pen & paper RPG group

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

[quote="
Gryphon Paladin
68 HP
heals
claws(holy)
17-3 melee
:P[/quote]
I understand its paladin but claws and holy dmg?
I think better can be 17-3 holy hammer (holy)
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

*this message is no longer needed* *ignore it*
Last edited by Burnsaber on February 27th, 2005, 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read about the adventurers of my pen & paper RPG group

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Thanks Darth. This prompted more of a reaction than I'd planned.

Anyway... I think speculation on a Gryphon Paladin is a little over-the-top. All my plans were to give the rider a spear, producing a unit a little like this...

Gryphon Knight
60 HP
10 Movement
Claws: 18-2 (Blade) Short
Spear: 11-3 (Pierce) Short
Spear: 11-1 (Pierce) Long

This would render it fast, tough, and versatile.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
scott

Post by scott »

If it's a knight, maybe you should give it a lance and charge then :wink:

I'm not really joking; let's put it on the table. A skilled knight would naturally try to use his mount like a warhorse. How glorious it would be now that it flies! In that case, it might be better to make the charge attack x-2 and leave the claw attack x-2 but not too much stronger than the L2 claw attack (how big can gryphons really get anyway?). A ranged spear throw is a good idea either way.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

It depends from where the griphon attacks. If he charges from the ground charging is impossible, since the griphon is half eagle and half lion, being his body the lion part, and lions don't charge. But if he attacks from the sky, his claw attack would already be the charge attack. Have you ever seen an eagle hunting? She flies high on the sky then charges on it's prey, she doesn't stand in front of him and start beating him to death.
So charging with griphons is something that shouldn't be done.
But I like the ranged attack.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

[scott] A skilled /knight/, that is a horseman, who tried to use a griffin in the same way he might treat a horse would soon learn that there are profound differences between them. I agree with Monkey on this one; IMO a lance/charge attack from a griffin fails a reality check, even if we solely consider the Wesnoth version of reality. If we had a /Pegasus/ unit, that would be a different matter.
scott

Post by scott »

A claw charge attack sounds good to me. Keep the spear attacks. I would just be a little disappointed if a knight on a flying mount couldn't swoop down and mop up the battlefield. It fills one of the few remaining and quickly disappearing micro-niches by swapping the damage types from a regular knight. Very interesting.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

The only issue with a claw charge attack here is it begs the question of why L1 and L2 gryphons don't have one. If the motivation is stooping on the target == charge, that's likely how all the gryphons attack... Of course, giving the other gryphons charge would make them quite similar to horsemen.
Author of Wercator