Water movement

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Monkey

Water movement

Post by Monkey »

I saw one thread about people having trouble with water moving. I already done it before on rpg maker so I'm willing to give it a shot, so how should I do it? In a 72x72 hexagon like terrain? I have photoshop, can someone tell me how to make an animated file so I can upload here on the forum?
I'm not a number, I'm a free monkey
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Can't make an animated file with photoshop, to the best of my knowledge - however, you can package together such a thing out of the individual images using graphicconverter, or some equivalent program for the pc.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Any of the adobe or corel programs can do that?
I'm not a number, I'm a free monkey
scott

Post by scott »

I'm getting closer to making animated gifs on GIMP. Each layer is used as a frame and you can export a multi-layer image to gif. When you do it asks if you want it to be an animated gif. The only problem is that I can't get the layers to be modal (one shows up at a time with transparency).
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Roel

Post by Roel »

I can make animated gifs with corel photo paint:

this took me less than five minutes to make, it's easy when you have the frames done, i just past them in a movie and save it as gif
tuppe666

Post by tuppe666 »

*cough*

http://www.libpng.org/pub/mng/

MNG maybe a more obvious choice.
Breeblebox

Post by Breeblebox »

scott wrote:The only problem is that I can't get the layers to be modal (one shows up at a time with transparency).
I'm not sure I understand you correctly, but if you name the layers with integers denoting time in milliseconds, then they should cycle through one at a time, with transparency and all.
Bear, as in Fozzy,Bare, as in Arms,Beer, as in Free.
Distro | Browser
scott

Post by scott »

I'll try it. Does it matter if the layers go top-down or vice-versa? I'm getting the previous frames (layers) visible underneath the current frame.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Breeblebox

Post by Breeblebox »

I think they go bottom to top, as you see them in the layers panel. I catch your drift now, the layers are piling up, leaving it's predecessor visible?

Must say you've got me stumped there. I've made gifs this way before but I can't recall whether I used transparency, so I'm not much help after all.
Bear, as in Fozzy,Bare, as in Arms,Beer, as in Free.
Distro | Browser
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

scott wrote:I'll try it. Does it matter if the layers go top-down or vice-versa? I'm getting the previous frames (layers) visible underneath the current frame.
Gimp 2.2 (and maybe 2.0; not sure) has a filter that Does The Right Thing. Filters->Animation->Animate Cells creates a new image with each successive layer having the appropriate part of the background copied into it to blank out the previous layer. Not sure if that makes sense, but I'm pretty sure it'll do the trick for you.
Author of Wercator