Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
A-Red
Art Contributor

Jevyan

Post by A-Red »

The Lich Lord Jevyan, based on LordBob's awesome portrait. It's been awhile since I played BfW or sprited for it, but I'm still excited about the prospect of seeing all of the unique ancient liches in the game. Hopefully this is a good start?
Attachments
jevyansprite.png
jevyansprite.png (5.95 KiB) Viewed 8664 times
jevyan.png
jevyan.png (230.86 KiB) Viewed 8664 times
Last edited by A-Red on August 16th, 2012, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheScribe

Re: Jevyan

Post by TheScribe »

Looks great! However, if you're looking for consistency with the portrait, you've got the staff in the wrong hand... (not that it really matters, but still thought I'd point it out. Great job!)
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Does this project assume that Jevyan gets an unique unit? He is currently an Ancient Lich, just like many similiar individuals in other campaigns (e.g. Mal-Ravanal in EI). While having a new sprite for the ancient lich unit might be great (I have no artistic or developer title, so my opinion doesn't have much weight), it doesn't feel right for all unrelated ancient liches to have a sprite based on one individual character's portrait. Maybe it would be possible to give the Ancient Lich unit a variation tag (as seen in Walking Corpse), with each notable ancient lich being different variation (one would be default for no-name characters)?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Telchin wrote:Does this project assume that Jevyan gets an unique unit? He is currently an Ancient Lich, just like many similiar individuals in other campaigns (e.g. Mal-Ravanal in EI). While having a new sprite for the ancient lich unit might be great (I have no artistic or developer title, so my opinion doesn't have much weight), it doesn't feel right for all unrelated ancient liches to have a sprite based on one individual character's portrait. Maybe it would be possible to give the Ancient Lich unit a variation tag (as seen in Walking Corpse), with each notable ancient lich being different variation (one would be default for no-name characters)?
This one would be used for Jevyan only, whether by use of a variation or a separate unit type. His stats could remain the same or they could be changed, we'll see.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

You would have to ask LordBob for any definitive information, but I didn't think Jevyan was a floating torso. I rather imagined him as a snake-like thing. IMHO, you should make the"tail" longer, maybe have it curl it like a snake's...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Dixie wrote:You would have to ask LordBob for any definitive information, but I didn't think Jevyan was a floating torso. I rather imagined him as a snake-like thing. IMHO, you should make the"tail" longer, maybe have it curl it like a snake's...
It's certainly more snaky in the portrait--I just took a bit of artistic license (as the portrait artists have done in working from sprites for other units) because I felt that the long, whiplike tail would be less suited for a sprite of this size--to fit it in, I'd have to either coil it like a corkscrew or raise the body absurdly high off the ground; all the most important detail is up higher and shouldn't be sacrificed.

I suppose I could also position him something like a naga, actually standing upright on a snake-body, but I don't get that impression from the portrait either. To me, he looks like he floats. The long spine in the portrait is way too thin to hold him up otherwise.
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

A-Red wrote:I suppose I could also position him something like a naga, actually standing upright on a snake-body, but I don't get that impression from the portrait either. To me, he looks like he floats. The long spine in the portrait is way too thin to hold him up otherwise.
What? It is as thick as man's fist, and couple times thicker than actual human spine. This thing could hold a bear.
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
em3

Post by em3 »

Not to mention that a spine without other tissues or artificial (or magical) reinforcement isn't able to support anything.
ride on shooting star
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Shinobody wrote: What? It is as thick as man's fist, and couple times thicker than actual human spine. This thing could hold a bear.
Sure it could, if it had hips and legs to match. Em3 has it--if all he has is a spine, then he can't stand on it.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Oh huh, a Jevyan sprite thread. The sprite you have feels too... stout. Jevyan I've always felt was meant to be snakelike and sinuous instead of straightforward and bulky. That stubby backbone I feel is a particular offender, but the shortness of the limbs contributes as well. In addition, I'm not sure the hands are very well-formed.

I was working on this; maybe it'll help?

Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Zerovirus, the prototype on the right looks quite nice. Sinister! :D
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I kind of like the middle one, for base frame. Maybe the one on the right could be an/the attack frame? (Not that I'm volunteering you to do animations.)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Or maybe the middle one with the right one's tail? I really like that coiled skelly tail :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I was sort of imagining that Jevyan would have the middle baseframe until a unit attacked him for the first time in a scenario at which point he switches to the 'battle-mode' baseframe. I like the idea of Jevyan posturing as a normal humanoid lich until forced to reveal his true form.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Haha, ok, never mind. At least I get to be that guy whose work inspires someone else to make the sprite that gets accepted again. Seems to be my lot.

I don't suppose we're going to hear from the art team on this? I'm sure either of us would be happy to continue working on our sprites with a bit of conceptual direction and/or a go-ahead.